HC KSS Synth Demos

clusterchord

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Clusterchord thought it would be a good idea to post this to this thread...

I finally had a chance to do some quick-and-dirty recording and post demos of some of my own patches as examples of the "softer" more "vintage" side of the Evolver's timbre. There are a lot of demos out there that showcase the extreme distorted-feedback sounds this beast can make and, while I like those type of sounds quite a lot, I don't want people to think the DSI Evolver dosen't have another side to it.

http://www.carbon111.com/evolver.html

• Members
Originally posted by clusterchord

synthex_tn.jpg

ok, another great, detailed Synthex review
here
, plus a page with tons of Synthex demos w descriptions:

ELKA Synthex demos

all done by THM (moderator at FP synth forum)

Are your Axxe samples still around? I was looking for them as I was interested in buying one, then I tripped over an Odyssey mkii. :D

I'd still like to hear if they are online.

• Members
Originally posted by urbanscallywag

Are your Axxe samples still around? I was looking for them as I was interested in buying one, then I tripped over an Odyssey mkii.
:D

I'd still like to hear if they are online.

EDIT: Nov 11, 2005 - back online:

www.babic.com/SYN/AXXE/AXXE%20JAM_1-01.mp3
www.babic.com/SYN/AXXE/AXXE_JAM_2.mp3
www.babic.com/SYN/AXXE/AXXE_JAM_3.mp3
www.babic.com/SYN/AXXE/AXXE_JAM_4-01.mp3
www.babic.com/SYN/AXXE/AXXE_JAM_5.mp3

mk1 (which has moog filter circuitry as most of oddy mk2) is on the left, and mk2 (w 4075 filter circuitry from oddyIII) is on the right.

nice move on the oddy . congrats. i was looking at one of those in collectors condiiton, but once more, went after a polyphonic instead. one day perhaps..

• Members
http://www.uea-io.de/speedsuite/jc7a_21.mp3

custom VL1 cello type sound played in a strange fashion :D

gear: yamaha wx5 breathcontroler, vl1-msynthesizer

this collection of pieces has been a secundary result of a project customizing the VL1-factory-preset cello-voice, which i dont find too useful. thus, to be honest, "speed suite" consists of selected recordings of sound- and playability-tests ;-)

well, meanwhile i like the thing for its own sake. i think it has consistent musical dimensions: of course its purely improvised. mainly a-tonal. phrases and lines dominate, usually there is no specific formal structure. not even explicit musical entries and exits. the material is repeated quite heavily: favorite lines and harmonic structures can be found all over the material. due to the original purpose the main focus lies on expressiveness, dynamics, variability of sound, which forwards a rhythmic and percussive overall characteristics.

the obvious feature: its fast. it chases. its nervous. spastic, if you like. at least some people who heard it have survived it, as far as i can tell. - enjoy the samples!

I'll have more demos soon, as my VL1 will be arriving this week :cool:
One of only 2 sold here....

• Members

Got my VL1

- When I first turned it on I was a bit disappointed at first, sounded kinda FM'ish, but after cleaning out my cables - a bit oxidised - and the VL1 output, there is more bite now, but the factory presets are not good. I went over to

http://www.kbspace.com/vl1m/patches/index.html

and grabbed this bank http://www.kbspace.com/vl1m/patches/vl1lib.zip

it fills up all 128 patches on the VL1, but you can load individual sounds, and this is way better! There are some really nice wind, brass and string sounds. Lots more texture and bite. It's from Yamaha itself, someone got it from a Yamaha rep at a electronic music show

Mind you I'm playing it with breath control assigned to mod wheel 2 But I can get a good feel for it, love how if you set the breath control really low, you can hear the sound flutter on and off on the flutey patches - sweet! Off course when I my breath controller arrives it will be way better...

The flutes and strings. brass I can do ok, but sax is hard to make sound realistc...

Having the 2nd voice/element really helps in VL1 vs the VL7. Love the keyboard (like my Wavestation) and controller feel, look very slick too.

Here is my first attempt playing a patch called " The Cool" :)

first the mono version - recorded in mono by mistake, but the direct signal runs through a Roland Sre-555 analog tape delay unit - there is analog chorus in there, some spring reverb and off course the analog tape delay

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/blitzforce/Temp/CCJ_VL1_DualBrass_SRE-555_Mono.mp3

- stereo version, first the VL1 signal + some spring reverb on one side, with the sre-555 tape delay on the other, then I turn on the analog chorus which comes in the middle

I'm not that a good a player, and with no breath controller, just using the mod wheel two to act like a breath controller, but it still turned out better than I expect! :)

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/blitzforce/Temp/CCJ_VL1_DualBrass_SRE-555_Stereo.mp3

• Members

man there is a big difference between the standard factory bank patches of the VL1-M and the full control bank ones!

The former sounded really flat and bad! Then when I loaded the full control one, this BreathBow patch just had me playing emotive lines even with no breath control, just using the mod wheel 2 instead.

Sorta stringed, blown instrument. Instant flm score stuff. You can play with so much feeling and sensitivity. I admit I even shed a tear while playing it :)
nice VL1 reverb too!

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/blitzforce/Temp/CCJ_VL1_BreathBow.mp3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Well this morning I turned on my A6 just to fool around.

Just started fiddling with the patch the A6 had on
I turn the arp on, and latched it, hit 4 notes, and
a cool step sequenced melody came up

Then all I did was play around with the output mixer bringing
in the 12db BPF and the 24db LPF, post filter sinewaves
and ring mod. Wow that kept occupied for an hour with a smile on my face :)

I decided to record a live take of my jamming and saved the patch
well the basic setup anyway...

first just VCO1 sinewave, then some A6 delay, then the 2nd VCO's sinewave,
ring mod output, and the filters etc in and out and tweaked
I ran the A6 output into the Distressor compressor, adding it's Dist 3 - 3rd harmonic
distortion setting for a bit of that analog tape vibe
Then the whole lot gets processed by a convultion reverb, using a computer
modelled and generated impulse file.

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/coolcolj3/Temp/CCJ_A6ArpFun.mp3

now I'm listening to my clip over and over in a loop :p

It's amazing what you can do with one voice and some knobs - still have 15 more! :)
even though it's the same notes over and over, the changes in timbre and
volume seems to make me hear different poly rhythms and melodies after a while
The post filter sinewaves form the bed of the sound.
Sounds like there is a rhythm track, but it's just the portamento
section acting like an envelope on the sinewaves

sweet - will probably turn it into a proper song ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
NEWS Jul - Sep 2005

compiled from recent pages of KSS demo thread and added to PAGE 1:

Andromeda - A6 does ambient/illbient, by unknown freak (AH)
Pro One - moog-3c.analogue.org, CEM sound at its best.
Synthex - demo page by THM, at FP forum, plus review
DW8000 - by grumphh
ATC-X - demoing different filters, by anykeystudio
Q - Future Synthesis Soundset - by Xenox.AFL
BLACET - Peter Greenader does few beautiful tracks on a big Blacet modular.

and some stuff i've digged up just recently:

Poly800 - by Sealed wlink to his Deep Synthesis Page, tons of stuff
Macbeth M5 - by Nico Schaap (AH), sounds incredible !!
Prophet 5 Rev3 - i've reocrded it on a friends rev3.2
Prophet 5 Rev1 - original 1978 demo record for Prophet
Jupiter 4 - Thomas Kahn, Synth DIY page

and more MAcbeth M5:

Macbeth M5 - MAcbeth's mini-page at UK's RL Music Dealer

KSS-SD-News-Sep05.jpg

Archived