Gear Acquisition plans for first half of 2005

wheresgrant3

• Members

WOW!!

After seeing this thread realized just how much I've spent over the past 6 months and still have GAS for more {censored}e:

2004 Purchases:

Korg Triton Extreme + MOSS

Roland XV5080 + 8 Boards

Yamaha FS1R

Alesis Andromeda

Emu Morpheus

Emu Orbit 3 Loaded

Emu Proteus 2500 Loaded

Emu PX7 Loaded

Akai MPC4000 + $6000 Sample Library

Oberheim MC3000 8x8 88-Key MIDI Controller

2005 Planned Purchases:

Mini Mac

Dave Poly Keys

Access Virus TI

Korg Legacy Collection

Roland V-Synth XT

Clavia G2X

Kurzweil 2661

EastWest/Quantum Leap Symphonic Choirs

More Softsynths...

Sold:

Korg Trinity Rack--> Replaced by Triton Extreme

Roland Fantom XR--> The XV5080 has better sound IMHO

Alesis QSR--> Loved the sound, but no longer needed

Yamaha RY30---> Really nice drum machine

Akai MPC2000XL---> Replaced by the BEAST

I know my current/planned setup is overkill for MIDI gear, but my sound source can never be redundant or limited :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Sounds

The Extreme- 160 GB of Ram, 128 Poly, 5 insert effects + option for MOSS

The LE-32 MB, 62 poly (although that is plenty for me) one Insert effect and tons of slathing reverb on every patch

Keybed and build

The Extreme-Cheap build, decent keyboard

The LE-Cheap build, {censored}ty keyboard

Don't you mean 160 GB of ROM in the Extreme ??

But I do see your point: the Extreme is a killer 'board, especially with the Legacy package for free.

And I know all too well about how {censored}ty, crappy, horrible, horrendously unappealing the keybed on the Triton Le is - my fingers recoil in horror every time I play mine, I think... :D

• Members

On the list is supplies for building 1/4" unbalanced cables and MIDI cables, FX maybe a DP4, and an Evolver. Wow, that was suprisingly realistic!

I'd like a Micron, for a small controller by the computer (oh yeah and the synth engine) and a Fizmo as a main controller. But I don't think either of these will happen.

I'm sure there will be small impulse purchases along the way, keeping me from the prioritized wants. :D

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

The Extreme.... well, normally I wouldn't consider it if it weren't for the Legacy offer. Buy the Triton Extreme before July 31, and receive the Korg Legacy package ($499) for free.

WTF!!!

Where did you see this?

I just purchased the Extreme and didn't see that one :(

• Members

The problem for me (if you can call it that) is that the things I've started GASsing for are so far out of any forseeable improvement to my living/income situation that it's hard for me to REALLY get hot and/or bothered by the things that might arguably be within my buying power if I actually get a job. For instance, I GAS over things like Fazioli F308's and B

• Members

Dang, I think I am done for the year, just got an Andromeda, K5000s, Fantom X7, Novation X-Station 25, Wavestation SR and FS1R. Oh and I traded a bottle of scotch for a Yammy CS-15.

I suppose I could sell these since I just quit my day job:

Fantom FA-76

Korg DW8000, DW6000

Kawai K-1

Yamaha KX-5. S30

Ensoniq VFX-SD

Farfisa Compact

Except they are worth more to me than I could ever get for them. I need a bigger house. :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by urbanscallywag

audacity, I'm quite looking forward to seeing your rig reduced to just The Argosy.

Yeah, me too! :D

Unfortunately, I kinda have to buy everything at once (except for maybe the Tascam controller), and can't afford to until I sell the other stuff...

...Except I need a studio, because work ain't stoppin' for no one.

So I guess the trick is to put everything on a 6-month interest-free credit card, hook it all up, sell the other gear over the course of those six months, and then pay off the card before any interest kicks in...

...Except I don't even have an open window to redo the studio. :( Guess things could be worse.

• Members

Planning for the year.

I think i should do that so i can actuall purchase some decent stuff.

this year id like to get :

Laney TT20 guitar head + cab

a sampler of some description , preferabley either a Kurzweil K2000R or an Emu ultra.

failing a sampler , some ROM sounds for my sequencer would be nice, Vintage Pro for starters..

a weighted 88key controler keyboard. The Maudio one looks nice. and has a decent price as well.

• Members

Motif ES Rack

Studiologic VMK-149

and hopefully replace my FIZMO keyboard with a FIZMO rack.

after that it's time to save up for a Monomachine or look towards the Spectralis, i'd have to eat dog food for the remainder of the year after paying for it though.

• Members

Well, lets see... I'm not getting as many hours as I'd like at my current job and I'm in school for the forseeable future chasing that magic degree that'll open up all the doors and whatnot, so I'm not holding my breath but...

Native Instruments Komplete 2: I was going to just get Reason. Then I saw what was happening with kontakt 2. I've had a change of plans.

A new desktop and Laptop PC.

Roland SPD-6 or SPD-8 or Drumkat: Nothing beats using drumsticks to play your beats.

Tracktion 2

I have been toying with the idea of buying a library of impulse responses to load into a convolution reverb, like these:

http://www.spiritcanyonaudio.com/convbundle.php

Also, I'd like to branch out my hardware efx. I was thinking of creating a signal chain of badness to run tracks of softsynths through. I've toyed with this idea using a Sans Amp and a Mesa Boogie Studio Pre. I'd like to add a phaser and flange and chorus and maybe a filter effect( SHerman Filterbank?) or maybe something like the kaos pad 2 or the Line 6 pedals...

• Members

Billy Wa:

I suppose I could sell these since I just quit my day job:

Fantom FA-76

Korg DW8000, DW6000

Kawai K-1

Yamaha KX-5. S30

Ensoniq VFX-SD

Farfisa Compact

Except they are worth more to me than I could ever get for them. I need a bigger house.

You own a Farfisa Compact?

That's awesome. I love that sound.

The first half of 2005 I must buy a new or reconditioned Toshi notebook - $500-700. JoeMeek VC3Q, decent powered-monitors.

later 2005 buys: Motif ES Rack

and

• Members

By March/April:

SELL:

Yamaha DGX-202

Toys R Us Casio keyboard

Emu PK6

Cheap Behringer mixer

{censored}load of cables

Maybe some of my V Drums that aren't being used

BUY:

88 key controller

Gigastudio 3 Ensemble

Alesis Micron

So my basic setup will be an EX5 and a Micron for live stuff, and Gigastudio for recording.

I also have the Steinway to mic up (that won't be going gigging with me....) and I hope to acquire a console organ sometime soon. But it has to be small enough to fit through basement stairs cause they are U-G-L-Y!

• Members

Originally posted by marcellis

You own a Farfisa Compact?

That's awesome. I love that sound.

Yes, it is in really bad shape, though. I got the service manual a few months ago, but have not dived in to fix it up yet. I used to run it though the filters on my CS-15, what a great sound! I have two CS-15s now, I'm gonna try to figure out interesting ways to mod them out.

However, most of my time in the near future will be spent figuring out how to use what I have, oh, and looking for a new job.

Archived