Gear Acquisition plans for first half of 2005

wheresgrant3

• Members

Well it's 1 month into the new year and since I always plan my purchases (I never impulse buy)I've just laid out my plans for the gear I want and the six month payment plan to purchase them.

This Feb 2005

Buy

Alesis Micron- $400

Line 6 Pod XT Live- $400

Total-$800

Projected gig income-$460

Sell- Telecaster copy-$230 (sold-cash in hand)

This March 2005

Buy

Either Pair (2) Yorkville 100KW Keyboard Wedge amps-$700

or

1 JBL Eon $700...(I'll probably end up with the Yorkies on this)

Spectrasonics Stylus RMX- $300

Projected gig income- $600

Sell Samson DB500a- $275

DW8000- $200

This April or May

Buy used EX7- $500-600

Projected income both months- $600 (gigs booked so far, more to come)

This June 2005

Sell Triton LE w/ sampling and 64MB Ram- $700-$800

Breakdown and finally buy Triton Extreme w/ Korg Legacy package. $1899. $1000 down, finance the rest. No more goodies till that puppy is paid in full.

:eek:

Anyone else have a "plan"?

• Members

Sorta.

Plan to buy a polyevolver keyboard and VC-2, would like to get a new desk as well that's big enough for keyboard, monitors, etc at some point but I can't find what I want and don't have the tools or interest in building one.

• Members

I have a plan, but that's for 2006. I'm still an engineering student, and I can't afford dick until I'm done in a year and hopefully get a job. At that time - major plans, involving a ~$10.000 loan (roughly equivalent). :)

I need a computer with Cubase SX, a variety of cool plugins, Roland XV-5080, Roland VariOS, Nord Modular G2, DSI Poly, motherkeyboards etc...

• Members

I started implementing my plan in December, starting almost from scratch.

The plan is simple - buy enough cool gear that I can amuse myself, without breaking the bank.

So far:

- Yamaha PF-85 keyboard, which will double as a MIDI controller.

- Resurrected PSR-510 to use as hardware sequencer, GM Tone Generator, and drum looper (keyboard itself is eukered)

- Pulled apart old two-level X stand; put top part on beefier X stand which came with PF-85

- Fabricated music stand out of an old shelf and a curtain rod. Sits on top of PSR-510, which is on the top of my X-stand

- Restored ancient Traynor 6401 six channel mono mixer with EQ, 1 effects s/r, and spring reverb. Haven't tested it yet, but I think it will work fine. Still need to add RCA inputs. It was in such bad shape when I started, you could hardly turn the knobs. And when you did.. grtrtrtrtrtttT!

- Bought Emu Proformance/1 piano module (haven't got it yet)

- Bought Simmons SPM 8:2 stereo midi-controlled mixer with 8 LFOs for stereo pan etc. (haven't got it yet)

- Bought Digital Studios MPX-8(?) MIDI patch bay w/ 2 MIDI merges (haven't got it yet)

- Bought Sennheiser HD-500 headphones (nice sound, very comfy, can still hear the kids beating each other up)

Near Future:

- Find some kind of inexpensive amplifier (pawn shop?) I can run a pair of spare stereo speakers off of. I heard a rumour to the effect that my old out-on-loan power amp caught fire one day.

- Outboard effects unit.. I'm thinking Alesis MidiVerb II or something similar

- Distortion effect.. possibly guitar pedal from pawn shop, if I can find one which isn't overly noisy

- Find the guy who has my DX-100 and ask for it back. He seems to have vanished from the face of the earth as of Dec 1999. Maybe I can track down his parents...

- See if any more of my "on long term loan" equipment is around... 25' midi cables, BC-1(?) breath controller, foot pedals, etc. Actually, I spoke to a guy the other day who said he'll bring by one of my pedals and a fake book. Yay, I'll be able to play Sostenuto!

- Father in law (cabinet maker) will build me a sturdy stand for the PF-85 once I design it. Hmm. Wood grain or black paint? Hmm..

- Scoop 19" rack from work... we have some nice wall/floor mount 20U racks with swing-out fronts that are unused.

- Acquire a glut of MIDI and line level patch cables.

Mid Term:

- Either build a Palm Pilot->MIDI interface (and write some software), or find a cheap laptop and buy a MIDI interface. I have an unused Palm m105 that I think would make a great MIDI continous controller, program changer, and sysex transmitter/receiver.

- Find/beg/borrow/make/steal a bench. Playing on a chair is hard on the back, due to trunk-twisting.

Long Term:

- Find good deal on SY-77 or SY-99

- Find some more tone generators

- Buy a software sequencer if I get the laptop; otherwise look at a better hardware sequencer

- Buy either a software package and sound card (is AWE128 suitable?) to record songs, OR find a hard disk recorder.

Even Longer Term:

- Yamaha FSR-1

- Korg Wavestation S/R

- Other Cool {censored}

- Better speakers

I think that's where I'm at. I'm having good luck so far finding good-gear-of-yesteryear. It fits my budget and my tastes.

Note that a month ago, there was no SY or FSR on the list, but there WAS a DX-7. Thanks to HC KSS, I have a better idea what I really want now. :)

Wes

• Members

Lets see.......

Purchase a Kurzweil Rumour as soon as they start shipping them again and a Jupiter 6 if I can find one in mint condition. That's about it. I'm pretty happy with what I have. Hell, I'm getting rid of stuff now. I plan on this being a year for personal track creation and collaboration.

I might even start DJing. :D

• Members

Most of my gear purchases have been planned to some degree or other. The only impulse purchase I've really ever made has been a JP8000 a few years ago when I was actually shopping for a weighted piano/EP thing. Even then I didn't buy it on the spot; I went home and thought about it (and even discussed it with my wife, who said OK!) and went back two days later and got it. GREAT purchase btw. Everything else has been, if not precisely planned, then something I've been thinking about and have checked out for awhile.

So my essential plans for the 1st half of 2005 are:

- finish paying off the 32ch mixer

- repairs for Hammond chorus circuit & Fender amp reverb circuit

Non-essential purchases that'll happen if I have extra $$$:

- outboard eq and multi-efx for the PA

- two more monitor wedges

non-essentials that'll happen ONLY if I get extraordinary deals:

- a large gong (yep, you read that right)

- a vocoder

- 8 or 16 track analog reel multitrack tape recorder

- drumKAT & a sound module for it

• Members

my only plans are in the short term, to pick up a few more cheap digital delays (i.e. a Deltalab box, a knobby Korg SDD box, a Digitech 3.6 second box)...

then it's a moratorium on gear purchases for a few months while my wife finishes out her maternity leave...

after which I'll probably get back into it by adding a small Dotcom rack to my modular rig...

no big or definite plans beyond that...

• Members

G5 tower. AutoTune 4, SoundSoap, Logic upgrade, Lil' Miss Scale Oven, and East West Bosendorfer.

And a MOTU Traveler if I can afford it. Otherwise, an Edirol FA-101.

This will take me all year, actually. ..;)

As far as synths go, I am kept very busy with my Micromodular, MP-7, XV-5050, W5, and those groovy Logic instruments. I'm sure the Logic upgrade will blow my mind. :D

• Members

ditto the Mo-Rack.

Plus, I just put a real drum lit in the house (always wanted one, passionately the last few years)- a Gretsch club kit - which will need the best hihats I can afford. But even this was "quasi-planned" i.e. I didn't know February was a slow gig month around here...

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Well it's 1 month into the new year and since I always plan my purchases (I never impulse buy)I've just laid out my plans for the gear I want and the six month payment plan to purchase them.

This Feb 2005

Buy

Alesis Micron- $400

Line 6 Pod XT Live- $400

Total-$800

Projected gig income-$460

Sell- Telecaster copy-$230 (sold-cash in hand)

This March 2005

Buy

Either Pair (2) Yorkville 100KW Keyboard Wedge amps-$700

or

1 JBL Eon $700...(I'll probably end up with the Yorkies on this)

Spectrasonics Stylus RMX- $300

Projected gig income- $600

Sell Samson DB500a- $275

DW8000- $200

This April or May

Buy used EX7- $500-600

Projected income both months- $600 (gigs booked so far, more to come)

This June 2005

Sell Triton LE w/ sampling and 64MB Ram- $700-$800

Breakdown and finally buy Triton Extreme w/ Korg Legacy package. $1899. $1000 down, finance the rest. No more goodies till that puppy is paid in full.

:eek:

Grant -

Nice breakdown, dude! :D You sure do maintain that rig pretty damn well, esp. for a converted guitar player! I, on the other hand, am still using a keyboard I bought in 1995... (Ensoniq KS-32) !? :eek::confused: Then again, that keyboard has made me umpteen thousands in gig money in all that time, so I'd say it was a pretty darn good investment for the $1,200 or so I paid for it, 10 yrs. ago!

So why will you sell the Triton Le to get the Extreme - does it really give you that much more?

BTW -

The JBL EON15G2's give you 400 watts of power. Even if you get 2 of the Yorkville wedges, they're only 100watts each - you're still not even close. Go for the EON, baby! You'll love it so much you'll eventually have to get another one for a stereo pair... :D

:cool:

• Members

I have little hope of affording this stuff this year, but I an considering the following:

ASUS w1 - $2399.00

http://www.proportable.com/detail.aspx?ID=60

EMU 1616 cardbus interface

OR

MOTU 828 mk 2 interface

In an ideal world I would be able to afford this. While I am dreaming, I would like to add a DSI PolyEvolver Keyboard please.

• Members

I prefer sudden and unplanned GAS attacks. Those in which I get so worked up about new gear that I must buy it TOMORROW and then figure what I can eBay to help mitigate the debt I've accrued! This is fun for me and in many cases is the way I operate. Sure, I'll have some stuff on my radar, but my M.O. is often to just spring for the gear in a weak moment of gas. This almost happened last week, but I stopped short and re-evaluated my priorities for a change. These bouts seem to occur more often in the winter months, when it is cold and there is more "down time" to tinker with gear and integrate it. I usually crave something, if even a small gizmo. Last week, I put of the big ticket item I was looking at and instead picked up a Boss GigaDelay pedal DD-20 for my Nord Electro. Hours of fun for less than $200!!!

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Seriously thinking about selling my K2600X and getting a Motif ES 8 - have a ES 7 and love it but love the feel of the ES 8. Recently I picked up a K2600R so I would keep the Kurzweil sound.

BUT

The biggest part of my PLAN is how to find time to use all of my gear.

• Members

Spectra Lab:

Congrats on the impending new arrival. Make sure you budget for an FM Synth, so you can get nice bell noises on which to play lullabies.

The DX-100 is inexpensve, and one of the stock patches is perfect that job.

Yeah, that's it, you need gear for the baby.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

Grant -

Nice breakdown, dude!

So why will you sell the Triton Le to get the Extreme - does it really give you that much more?

BTW -

The JBL EON15G2's give you 400 watts of power. Even if you get 2 of the Yorkville wedges, they're only 100watts each - you're still not even close. Go for the EON, baby! You'll love it so much you'll eventually have to get another one for a stereo pair...

:cool:

The Extreme.... well, normally I wouldn't consider it if it weren't for the Legacy offer. Buy the Triton Extreme before July 31, and receive the Korg Legacy package ($499) for free. I figure I will eventually buy the Extreme at somepoint. Between all the programming of my current sounds, my Karmalab software I'm pretty much vested with Korg. The difference between the two workstations is definately worth the $1000 to me.

Sounds

The Extreme- 160 GB of Ram, 128 Poly, 5 insert effects + option for MOSS

The LE-32 MB, 62 poly (although that is plenty for me) one Insert effect and tons of slathing reverb on every patch

Connectivity

The Extreme- Compact Flash and USB

The LE Smart Media

Keybed and build

The Extreme-Cheap build, decent keyboard

The LE-Cheap build, {censored}ty keyboard

Sampler

The Extreme- comes built in and expands to 96MB

The LE-Maxed at 64 MB

Bottom Line- My LE stopped saving patches a year ago and Korg doesn't know why... so it looks like a good time to replace it with something better.

As for the Yorkville's, do I really need 400watts. My 200watt Peavey amp was working fine until it pooped the bed. I can only afford one Eon or two Yorkvilles... I just need it for monitoring, not amplification. I'm sure the EON probably sounds better but I think I'll be fine with the pair Yorkies... although I'll test both setups before this first before I make a decision.

The Samson is 500 watts, but unless it is propped up on a crate 4 feet from my ear, I can't hear the signal. :(

Archived