Question about how to price something....

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

Here's the deal...

My brother and I ended up (inheirtance) with a 1955 Fender Strat...yep, the real deal. Well, we are both guitar fanatics, and we both are fully aware of what we have here.

However.... co-ownership is not going to work.

My first suggestion to him was that we sell the guitar, and split the money.... we each could buy whatever we want (within reason), and have plenty money left over to bank.

Well.... he ended up with the guitar for his house for the first week or so, and he says it has the best neck he's ever played on. So his thoughts were this.. he wants the neck, and says I can have the loaded body.

Ok, so far so dumb, right?... Alright, so go with me here...

I really like this body, and while the pickups sound good....I am used to Texas Specials, and Active Clapton Noiseless...

So my question to the forum is this: In your honest opinion, what could I reasonably expect to sell a set of 1955 Fender strat pickups for???

And also.... as we take the guitar apart, we of course will be taking pictures of everything, but is there anyway that I can prove to potential buyers where this came from, as the local Fender dealer has a smart guy in his 60's who works there who says to the best of his knowledge, these will not have any idenifying marks.

Thanks for your help!!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Everything about the guitar is in good condition, the Fender dealer called it 7.5 to 7.7/10 which I agree with.

Guys, it really isn't about the money.

It's like... the idea is if I make a guitar around the body, and my brother makes a guitar he likes around the neck, then in a way, we'll both end up with the guitar.

I know these pickups are the holy grail of tone for some, just not me.... but I have no idea how to price them, and neither does our store here.

Are they worth $500 as a set? $800? $1500? ... I really have no clue.

I hate to run a ebay auction at $1.00 with no reserve, and only end up with like $200-$300 for them... I know they have to be worth more.

• Members

sell the loaded pickguard ... don't bust the soulder.... i would sell the guitar.... let your brother find another neck and you find a body..... you will come out way ahead...... good luck and keep us informed....

• Members

Doc, I can't agree more with dogbone. Even if it's not about the money, make it about the guitar. How many intact 55s are out there? There are always other neck, there are always other bodies. If you MUST part it, the loaded guard is the best way to go, but seriously sell it whole or hang on to it.

• Members

I don't really get it.

It's a guitar with some (Fill in the $$$ here) value.

So either one of yous buys the other one out, or you put it up for sale, and split the result. Seems fair to me, if you wuz my baby brother.

Just sounds like there are some other issues at work here.

• Members

I would agree... Unless there is sentimental value that you both want to hold onto, try to sell the guitar before you take it apart. If he doesn't agree, tell him to buy you out of your half of the profit for its estimated value, and maybe he'll become more reasonable. The current value of that guitar is what you inherited. I know you aren't into the money (which is awesome!), but you need some boundaries here. He has no right to degrade its value because he wants the neck without your approval. I'm pretty certain he can find a guitar with a better neck, but I've never played a 55 strat. Did you know the owner well? Ask yourself what he/she would want you two to do with the guitar. Arguing about who gets to have what is ridiculous. If that was my guitar, I'm sure taking it apart for parts is the last thing I would want someone to do with it when I died. I'd expect it to be shared and appreciated or sold (or given) to someone who could do so.

No matter what, any guitar is not worth your family. Hopefully you both understand that.

• Members

What the hell. Bring the guitar to a Luthier and have him take exact measurements of the neck and make your brother one. With the money you will get for that guitar hell have him make him 10. S**T I'll even relic it like a '55 for free if you want. This makes no sense. I say get a Lawyer involved now cuz when dealing with family you ain't going to win. Sounds like you already are losing as your Bro has the guitar and wants the neck. What if you wanted it? Damn man keep us posted this is going to get good. How about you post a pic?

P.S. I see a reality TV show in the works.

• Members

Trust me boys... my parents didn't raise a fool. If it were my choice... this baby would be sold intact.

But two issues at hand here:

1) My brother ended up executor of the will.
2) My brother was 10 times closer with the uncle who owned this than I was so.... to be named on 50% of this guitar was a shock.

So given that... he wants the neck.

I will likely part the body out and get what I can.

My brother says he recalls a incident in the late 80's/early 90's when the middle pickup went dead, and some rewire work had to be done... so???? Who knows what I am going to open up and find. As far as we know, the pickups are original....and the "D" pole pieces stick up high... the guy at my local shop says this is a tale tale sign of pickups made that first year, as he said Strats didn't go into production until October of 1954.

So... I may have original pickups with new wire work?? Who knows.
The pole pieces are all rusty, but the thing sounds unbelieveable...maybe the best clean sound I have heard.

My brother is getting downright pissed whenever I mention we sell as a whole.... so it looks like I am going to be dealing with a loaded 1955 strat body here boys....any takers???:thu:

As much as I hate the fees... this will probably be one for ebay. Wouldn't you guys agree???

• Members

honestly that's a travesty. Tell your brother you will keep it and share custody. It's an insult to break apart a CLASSIC for a neck. No single neck is that good, I really don't get it. According to what you said your brother has no right to split the guitar. I would never buy that body knowing it's neck it, what it was meant to go with is still fine and was "chosen" to be taken off. That guitar is someones DREAM guitar. Personally I think you should keep it in the family and if one of your two's kids get really into guitar you have a nice heirloom to pass down. I am in a similar situation in that my grandad has an original late 50's LP that is going to go to the family, don't know if it's to an individual. If it could be parted, it NEVER would be. Do the right thing brother, and I hope you both are happy. P.S. get super pissy when he suggests parting it, honestly that's outrageous, it's hard to respect that decision.

• Members
Agreed Scott, In that case I still recommend selling the body as a whole. But what mojo none-the-less.

R-

Someone will probably buy it....pay me...and drop me a note saying "Thanks for the sweet 1955 Loaded Strat body, I have a sweet China made Squier Neck I've been saving for that special project.":thu::poke::cop:

• Members

honestly that's a travesty.

I know. I literally get sick to my stomach when I'm talking about with my wife.

She could care less. She's like "it's just a guitar, who cares??"

Ummmm... these sell for about $30,000 intact is my typical response.

• Members

Scotty, you have a good head on your shoulders, follow your sense...not your heart..you will sell the body on ebay no prob...prollly 5k to 10k depending on the condition....I would not desolder anything though, sell the whole body or at least the whol pickguard
wishing you luck,
mike

• Members

Thanks Mike... that's the plan.

To the guy smelling crap... you may want to check your undies, cause there is no BS about this story. I am not selling anything here, so there is nothing to gain by telling you guys a bit of my personal life.

Wish my brother was a poor sap needing money, but he's a plastic surgeon in Columbus, Ohio.... he laughs when I talk about this guitars value. It means nothing to him.

• Members

Breaking this guitar up is a tragedy for the whole world. You have something so special and your treating it like a MIM strat. Your going to have to shoot your brother in the head and get the whole guitar, then sell it to someone who will take good care of it and respect it for what it is, a historical TREASURE.

This shouldn't even need a discussion as it is a no-brainer, which is what your bro will be after you shoot him in the head.

• Members

I say get a lawyer.

50% is 50%.

a lawyer sees a guitar as 1 item. If the Item was a $30,000 painting, they arent gunna cut it in half and give you each half.

Either he buys you out of your half or you get a laywer. That way it will be settled correctly. It will be sold and you guys get half each.

• Members
Breaking this guitar up is a tragedy for the whole world. You have something so special and your treating it like a MIM strat. Your going to have to shoot your brother in the head and get the whole guitar.

This shouldn't even need a discussion as it is a no-brainer, which is what your bro will be after you shoot him in the head.

Easy. No shootings will take place.
If I had the guitar solely, it would stay with me forever.
My options in this case are to take a loaded 1955 strat body, sell it, put the cash in a high interest bearing college fund for my oldest daughter who is 3 years old now, and in 15 years be able to pay cash for a nice portion of her tuition, or relinquish my 50% to my brother who spent every day day with this uncle for years, has control of his estate, and current pocesses the guitar.

If your options were to pick up, for free, half of a 1955 Strat or none of it, which would you choose??

Trust me gang... I am 30 years old, and still in college myself, year 7 of 8... I have a family, and broke as a joke at the moment. :)
What this guitar would sell for would change my whole finances right now.... What this guitar would sell for is what my brother will spend in week in Aruba.

This weekend, at a mothers day get together, I will either go home with half, or none. Period.

Archived