Question about how to price something....

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

I think I'd convince my bro that the guitar should be auctioned intact. The amount of money you two could fetch could quite possibly change your lives. Someone suggested replicating a neck based on the '55. I think this is an excellent idea.

If one or both of you have your own families and assuming you're not already very well off, you owe it to them to sell this strat.

to me, for tree fiddy

may get more action posting this in the EG forum instead of the classifieds

Well, it was about that time that I notice that girl scout was about eight stories tall and was a crustacean from the protozoic era

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You clowns will both burn in hell if part out that guitar. Hendrix, Stevie Ray and your uncle will be whipping you for eternity. Neither deserve any part of it just for thinking about it..... Who are the chicks in the picture??? your sisters..:freak:

• Members
You clowns will both burn in hell if part out that guitar. Hendrix, Stevie Ray and your uncle will be whipping you for eternity. Neither deserve any part of it just for thinking about it..... Who are the chicks in the picture??? your sisters..
:freak:

No silly...don't you recognize the house trailer door in the background?? This is at your family reunion a few summers ago.... remember a few friends of your cousins came over, and got horny, but with no straight guys in sight, they had to take care of each other.

If anyone here has ever had a parent die, I hope you, or you and your siblings didn't even consider selling their house!!!! After all....think of all the memories in that house....it's a family heirloom!!

• Members
You clowns will both burn in hell if part out that guitar. Hendrix, Stevie Ray and your uncle will be whipping you for eternity. Neither deserve any part of it just for thinking about it..... Who are the chicks in the picture??? your sisters..
:freak:

your a {censored}ing dumbass. first off for talking {censored} to scottie, and second off for suggesting SRV would would be appauld.

you do realize SRV modded the {censored} outta his late 50's early 60's strat, right? even replaced the neck.

• Members

I didnt read the whole thread but here is what i would offer, and I apologize if someone said it before.

Tell your brother that if the neck is in fact half the value...all he needs to do is find someone who will buy the guitar at or above market value and agree to sell him the neck back. Obviously no one would do that and maybe he will see that the neck is in fact 60-75% of the value of a vintage guitar.

• Members

You clowns will both burn in hell if part out that guitar. Clapton, Hendrix, Stevie Ray and your uncle will be whipping you for eternity.

Funny you should mention that....as the 2 most famous and celebrated strat in history are in fact basturdized frakenstrats.

Clapton's famous "Blackie" is the combination of 3 1950's strats that he bought in Nashville in the early 70's....

In his autobiography he talks of how he took these 3 guitar completely apart, and built blackie out of the best parts from the 3.... then sat the parts left over off to the side and "doesn't recall ever seeing them again."

Meanwhile, SRV's "Number 1", if I am not mistaken, was a 1959 body put with a 1961 neck..... and someone decided a router was needed to saw on the body to fit that left handed tremelo on there.

• Members

Doc, if some of us on this thread came off sounding a bit "excited" it's because it's a guitar forum and we all love guitars as you do. Sometimes our passions for them run a bit high, but we all know this is a tough decision for you and either way you choose we'll all still love you.

You're probably wishing you never started this thread, but you inadvertently touched on something very important to many of us and given us all something to stew on and that's what make a great forum.

I hope you have no hard feelings about my own or other folks replies to this thread. I'm a history buff and a guitar lover, so that makes me twice the asshole, lol. Good luck with whatever path you choose.

• Members

LOL!!

Did you guys see the one ebay auction where the guy was trying to sell just the 1955 pickup covers for $3,495???

I'm sorry... that's just down right stupid, I can confidently say that as someone who is about to own 1955 strat pickups. Anyone who would pay that needs their head checked.

Or....how about the guy tring to sell the pickups alone for $12,500.00??

Again... that's down right ridiculous.

I may have my brother talked into letting this guy I contacted put this on his brokerage firm/website try to sell this in one piece.... maybe.

maybe its crazy but the pickups sold...look where it names the buyer as private...I think you have something, and to the dude who said the neck was 65% of the value...we arent talking about modern guitars...just look on ebay, 500 for a jack. backplate 400, unmolested pots and pickups for 5-15k..case, if in good condition 1-3k ...what do you think the body and trem are worth scottie?

• Members

I don't have a clue...

I can't wait to open this baby up and see what's under the hood....
It would be terrific if everything was original, but like I stated before, my bro says he knows at one time 15 years ago or so...the middle pickup wasn't working, so it had to be taken in for work. It was not the pickup, but something to do with the wires.... I know the pickups are original, as I can see their 50+ years of natural wear, but the pots and wires worry me, cause if it's a new re-wire job, the value will take a steep dive on the electronics.

We'll see.

• Members

Here's my opinion, don't know if anyone's stated it already, but I'm not going to read 6 pages to find out.

Go to a local/reputable custom shop/luthier who builds/specializes in relic guitars. Commission one or two exact playing/looking/feeling replicas and ask him to get them to sound as close to the original as possible.

Afterwards keep the 2 replicas (or 1 if you really just want a body and he really just wants the neck) and hand me the original. :thu:

You would both have 2 exact copies of the original for a fraction of the price. You could then sell the original and pay off the rest of your mortgage...buy a nice car...college tuition...

• Members

Here's my opinion, don't know if anyone's stated it already, but I'm not going to read 6 pages to find out.

Go to a local/reputable custom shop/luthier who builds/specializes in relic guitars. Commission two exact playing/looking/feeling replicas and ask him to get them to sounds as close to the original as possible.

Afterwards keep the 2 replicas (or 1 if you really just want a body and he really just wants the neck) and hand me the original.
:thu:

You would both have 2 exact copies of the original for a fraction of the price. You could then sell the original and pay off the rest of your mortgage...buy a nice car...college tuition...

That's actually kind of a cool idea man. that's probably what I'd do, but thats me

Im glad this thread turned from a heated argument to a meaningful discussion

• Members

Go to a local/reputable custom shop/luthier who builds/specializes in relic guitars. Commission two exact playing/looking/feeling replicas and ask him to get them to sounds as close to the original as possible.

Afterwards keep the 2 replicas (or 1 if you really just want a body and he really just wants the neck) and hand me the original.
:thu:

Best idea I've heard all day.

• Members

That guitar, intact, may be worth upwards of $75k, depending on the originality of all the parts (all the pots, pickups, plastic, tuners, etc, etc).

Even if the pots and pickups have been replaced, the body and neck together (if both sitll have the original finish) are probably worth almost $50k as a working guitar.

When your brother takes the neck, he leaves you with a body (with electronics) and case, which will never be worth $25k. Probably about $12k, tops. So by taking the neck, he's essentially taking at least $12k out of your pocket. (and throwing away a fair bit on his side, too).

Tell him you don't care about him flushing HIS money away, but that it's not right for him to take money out of your pocket, too. Tell him to either pay you for the whole guitar, OR - keep the whole thing, but make him sign a contract that says if he ever takes the guitar apart, or sell the guitar, that he has to pay you half of the market value of the guitar when he does that.

• Members

I may have pictures to post later tonight/early tomorrow.

Here's where we are right now... I talked the bro into listing with this guitar broker friend we know who only deals in high end guitars. So, for a few weeks, he is willing to try the guitar intact, the broker set the price at $49,995.00, and he gets 5% of the selling price in the event that he sells it.

We've had alot of traffic on it for only being on for a few days. One guy wanted to trade us 14 acres of primo land in Montana for it!! We are getting all kinds of trade offers...from sports cars to boats... but no real cash offers.

My neighbor still wants to trade me the Honda Accord for the case. The guy who owns the largest store in my area has offered me, in his words "I'll do $8,000 on the body alone." Somehow he ended up with the neck from a 1957, and the electronics from a 1963, so he has been waiting for the right body to come along for his super high end frakenstrat project....and seems pretty convinced that the '55's body is perfect for his needs.

In this case, I would sell him the body for $8,000.00, probably trade that case for the Honda Accord, then I would be left with the electronics to sell, which would probably do ok on ebay.

Even taking my "half" of the guitar and the case, I can probably still end up with $17,000-$20,000 worth of cash and belongings between the car, the $8,000 and what the electronics may sell for in reviewing past auctions..... it's kind of hard to complain about that.

• Members

don't be in a rush to sell this thing, wait for the right deal to come down. i'd drop the broker and get in touch with an auction house. Sothebys or some other group with REALLY high end buyers. you're sitting on a gold mine, be sharp and be patient.

• Members
don't be in a rush to sell this thing, wait for the right deal to come down. i'd drop the broker and get in touch with an auction house. Sothebys or some other group with REALLY high end buyers. you're sitting on a gold mine, be sharp and be patient.

Thats great advice, and I appreciate it.

We actually have a guy coming from Toleodo, OH this evening who is going to check it out....

Remember, at this point, she hasn't been completely gone through to tell if all pots, wires, electronics..etc... are original.

That $50k price is only going to happen if 100% original.... if not, then $50k won't happen, and we know it....but its still worth quite alot.

This guy says he is interested, plus, he has provided credentials that he is a certified vintage guitar appraiser (sent my brother a clip of him doing an appraisal on the Antique Road Show), so we are going to take this apart this evening piece by piece and see exactly what we have.

If it's 100% original, it will likely stay as one piece until sold.... if not, then we'll see.

My local guy upped his offer to me today to $9,000 if I left the jack & tremelo on the body....and the neighbor is really wanting the case for the Honda Accord....

So... I have some choices to make here.

Pics will be later today or tomorrow, I'll keep ya'll posted.:thu:

• Members
The appraiser just left, luckily he has a family function in my town tomorrow for mothers day, so he doesn't have to make the trip back home. Super nice guy, one of the most interesting people I have met, and he refused any money. He gave us 3 hours of knowledge for free.

Just as my brother suspected, the electronics are not 100% original. The pickups appear to be original, as all the characteristics of Abigail Ybarra era pickups are there, such as the low pole B string, and high pole point at the D string.... but the pots, wiring, and capacitors have all been changed.

Given this, the appraiser himself was no longer interested, and he valued the guitar at $20,000-$25,000. This is why you leave things stock kids... as this electronics change devalued the guitar 30-40%.

Other than that, everything looks good. Here's a few pics....I'll try to put more up tomorrow. Gotta think long and hard about this.... my brother is being great now, he's like "do whatever you want to do".... however, now with this knowledge of what the piece truly is (and isn't) I must realize that with 2 offers I have on the table for the body & case, that maybe approx. all my half would pull anyway, plus, I would have no broker fees on that, and I would still be able put the pickups on fleabay and let them sell for whatever.....any thoughts on what you would do here??

DSC_0035.jpg
DSC_0042.jpg
DSC_0046.jpg

• Members

Thanks guys... she is perty!
I have a soft spot for vintage and relic gear anyway..so I dig it.

I just spoke with Kate from Christie's, who I e-mailed a few days ago, and who was nice enough to call me back on Mother's Day Sunday, which was cool.

Bottom line is that appraiser dated 2 of the pots, and one of the capasitors as early 1990's USA Fender....Uhhh... that's not good on the resale value at all. I realize that these were probably the parts the store had handy to fix the bad electronics, but from a collector point of view, we would have been much better off to leave the electronics not working, but 100% stock.

After doing some research of auctions that have closed, and keeping in mind that it is not 100% stock, and under heavy lighting, it's not in as good of condition as I thought, I have concluded that a ready, willing, and able buyer would probably give $22,000-$25,000 at the max.

So given that, and let's assume Seth and I could sell this for $25,000.00
That's $12.5k each.

However, if you have been following this, I can sell the body with the tremelo, jack, pickguard, and wiring for $9,000.00 right now.

I can trade the Hardshell case for a 1996 Honda Accord w/72,000 actual miles. This car is probably valued at $3,000 modestly... I just happened to have a neighbor who doesn't need/want it.

So that puts me at $12,000 worth of items, no fees or comissions to pay, plus, I would still have the pickups to either sell, trade, or put in something of mine.

I think I am probably going to let Seth have this neck..... the writing on the wall seems clear to me.

Thanks to all of you who have put input in on this thread, should I choose to sell or trade the pickups, or if there is any interest, I will take some pics, and start a seperate thread.

Have a nice Mothers Day.

Archived