Question about how to price something....

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

He gets the prize doc!! hes the one...dumbasss comment of the week...wheres SRV_BLUZMAN when you need him?? lmfao

Nice...actually no offense taken. In fact, I would suspect most of you to agree with that. My brother, like all siblings has his shortcomings (like all of us) but he's a terrific older brother.... great father to his kids, and he actually gives a ton of money anonymously away each year. He's pretty low key, has no ego or big head issues.

It just so happens that after 12 years of school, and 5 years of working 80 hours a week, he's built his practice up to where he literally wipes his ass with $30k.

He doesn't give a {censored} about any material pocessions. His wife gave him a Rolex watch for Xmas 2 years ago.... he gave it to one of the employees who was doing some landscaping work for him..... kissed my sister in law on the forehead and said "I appreciate the thought dear, but only stuck up assholes wear Rolex watches."

....it just so happens he wants the neck off this thing, and doesn't care if it's worth $35,000 or $135,000. The guys at the music store we showed look like they wanted to cry.

Seth just laughed...he's like "listen guys, worry about your families....worry about your health.... don't worry about what we do with this guitar, it's just a damn guitar."

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw a 50's case in decent condition go for thousands too...see if you can score that!!

Yeah...I can have the case.... I'm telling you.... I realize this has to sound dumb as hell....but he just wants the neck.

Maybe I should bolt one of my MIM necks to it....maybe he won't know?

• Members

Ibenhad... but what happens when 6 months from now when big brother gets sick of this, and trades it on a new toy of the week??

I could of had a nice chunk of change sitting there for my daughter to start her adult life, but instead back in 2008.... I just couldn't accept half of a 1955 strat that was mine for the taking??

I don't find that very logical.

Hey...all of us here know this is a piece of history, that's what our heart tells all of us guitar fanatics. Now.... lets switch over to left brain thinking: It really is a old piece of wood and some electronics.

If this was any other piece from the 1950's that I could take 50%, sell, and bank towards my future, I think everyone would have a different opinion than they do since we are all guitar lovers.

Can you agree with that?

ok, i've read enough

you seem to have made up your mind already, so what's the point of continuing this thread and contesting everybody? philosophical discussion?:confused:

there's only one option here..

take the half, sell it, put the money in the fund for your daughter , /thread , and never look back :D

and ibenhad and you other morons.. a guitar is a peice of wood. i suggest any of you with peices of wood for daughters get a reality check ;)

• Members

So I get called a moron by a guy who talks about me giving his daughter my wood and who has a Ghetto avatar!!!! This is not a RAP forum nor is it a gun forum... Sure it looks cool but WTF.. This whole post is stupid and shouldn't even be in this section.

I vote that the moderator move this or close it. It has obviously run it's course. Now I'm going to rub my wood over my 1958 Les Paul Hardware that my Great Grandmother left me cuz my sister got the neck and body cuz they couldn't be seperated..... Maybe Ill wax it on the pickups. Always wanted repotted PAF's.

:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

• Members

It has obviously run it's course. Now I'm going to rub my wood over my 1958 Les Paul Hardware that my Great Grandmother left me cuz my sister got the neck and body cuz they couldn't be seperated..... Maybe Ill wax it on the pickups. Always wanted repotted PAF's.

:blah:

Man, I do apologize for calling you a moron.. that was uncalled for..

but seriously, don't diss the avatar.. i don't think you know who you're talking about. this is a MUSICIAN COMMUNITY.. eazy e was a musician.. one of my favorite musicians at that... besides, who's talking about avatars anyway.. it's just a picture. is that the best retort you could come up with?

Still.. nonetheless.. sorry for the moron comment, i was really tired and it was like 3 am. its still my opinion that although the guitar is sweet and valuable, it really just is a peice of wood inflated by nostalgia, supply and demand.. and he should do what is best for his family, not what is best for fender collectors who won't even play it..

• Members

God, I don't even know where to start, so I won't outside of saying that Eazy E was awesome, and so was NWA.

Scottie, I think I'm going to change my vote and say to keep the guitar together and give him the entire thing. Visit him and play it every now and then. If he really wants the neck that badly, then I'd say it's worth more to keep it all together to make it a whole guitar. Make it something that links you with him. A guitar like that is worth a lot, but trying to King Solomon it out it is just heartbreaking...

If you keep it in one piece as a family keepsake, that Strat goes from "worth tens of thousands" to "priceless" overnight.

• Members

No... not happening.
I'm taking half & the case.
If I thought my brother would keep it in the closet for 30 years, that would be one thing.

But I'll go over to his house next year and say "Where you got the "55 hiding."

And he's likely to say..."oh, the paperboy came around collecting, and I didn't have any cash on me, but noticed he had a Green Day shirt on, so I asked him if a guitar would cover the cost of this months paper."

Ok...so that may be exhaggerated...but all the same, I know for a fact that he's taking the neck off and putting it on a CS relic anyway....

So to me... at the moment the neck comes off, the guitar is never the same again (I know it's done alot, this is just how I feel)......

People, I have to think logically here. My neighbor has a 1996 Honda Accord that belonged to his mother, it has 72,000 actual miles. He has a Fender CS relic, and he is interested in the case only from the 1955 for his guitar.... he said "if the case is in good shape, I may just swap you for mom's car as we don't need another car on the insurance."

Just so happens.... my car is about dead.

At the end of the day, I have to agree with Eazy E on this.

• Members

Not that it's needed, but I have to add my .02.

I agree w/your last statement. You have to do what you need to do.

Ask yourself, what would EC do? If he can auction his prized possesions for a good cause, I think you can sell (though you know it's wrong) your parts for a better cause. Your daughters future.

Your family is more important than some any guitar.

• Members

Scottie,

If you've made the decision to sell your half of the guitar (never mind everyone's opinion here - it's not their money) then it simply comes down to maximizing what you can get for it.

Some possible scenarios
1. Selling the guitar intact - will result in the highest resale value
2. Selling just the body and investing the proceeds for your daughter's education
3. Keeping the body for future sales

Option 1 is out due to your bro's decision. Money's money but family tops all (even if you're strapped for cash). It's always sad when families fall apart. Don't let it happen over a guitar.

Option 2 is what you're currently considering and ebay will probably maximize your sale price but comes with a whole mess of worries & issues. If you can find a reputable guitar dealer, that might be the cleanest option (I guess dogbone94 is suggesting something like that).

Option 3 is worth considering. Even if you invest the money from option 2, will it appreciate more than the price of vintage guitars? As long as you can keep track of your brother's half (so he doesn't sell the neck by itself), you keep the possibility of reassembling it and selling it whole at a later date.

He may come to his senses and realize that the neck, although very nice, is worth more back on the original body than on whatever Strat in his possession. Guitarist have been known to change their mind on their gear. :poke:

Under better economic conditions than now, you may get more for the body so don't sell the body right now and keep your options open.

• Members

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I sort of understand where you're coming from in terms of that -- I know relatives whose treatment of money makes me flutter my eyelids in disbelief, but I accept the way that is.

No... not happening.

• Members

Scottie,

If you've made the decision to sell your half of the guitar (never mind everyone's opinion here - it's not their money) then it simply comes down to maximizing what you can get for it.

Some possible scenarios

1. Selling the guitar intact - will result in the highest resale value

2. Selling just the body and investing the proceeds for your daughter's education

3. Keeping the body for future sales

Option 1 is out due to your bro's decision. Money's money but family tops all (even if you're strapped for cash). It's always sad when families fall apart. Don't let it happen over a guitar.

Option 2 is what you're currently considering and ebay will probably maximize your sale price but comes with a whole mess of worries & issues. If you can find a reputable guitar dealer, that might be the cleanest option (I guess dogbone94 is suggesting something like that).

Option 3 is worth considering. Even if you invest the money from option 2, will it appreciate more than the price of vintage guitars? As long as you can keep track of your brother's half (so he doesn't sell the neck by itself), you keep the possibility of reassembling it and selling it whole at a later date.

He may come to his senses and realize that the neck, although very nice, is worth more back on the original body than on whatever Strat in his possession. Guitarist have been known to change their mind on their gear. :poke:

Under better economic conditions than now, you may get more for the body so don't sell the body right now and keep your options open.

excellent points

• Members

It IS NOT just a piece of wood!!!

It is history!! In 20 years, we'll all be trying to figure out what happened to all the Fender Strats made in those precious first years of production and you'll know in the back of your mind that YOU and your dopey bro were callous enough to actually destroy one of the most coveted pieces of history (dare I say art) because your daughter needed another Playstation 3 or some bull{censored} like that.

You're a doctor for christ's sake, you have lots of money or you soon will. You buy and sell lot's of stuff on this forum, so we know you're not on the breadline and your daughter is NOT in danger of growing up poor and uneducated. As a doctor, your supposed to preserve life, not perform autopsies on living patients.

This abuse you've been taking is not about us (the members of this forum) wanting to buy or take away the guitar. When it comes to guitars, we ARE your true family and as such, we want what's best for the guitar.

PLEASE!! Have your brother read this thread!!

• Members

It IS NOT just a piece of wood!!!

It is history!! In 20 years, we'll all be trying to figure out what happened to all the Fender Strats made in those precious first years of production and you'll know in the back of your mind that YOU and your dopey bro were callous enough to actually destroy one of the most coveted pieces of history (dare I say art) because your daughter needed another Playstation 3 or some bull{censored} like that.

You're a doctor for christ's sake, you have lots of money or you soon will. You buy and sell lot's of stuff on this forum, so we know you're not on the breadline and your daughter is NOT in danger of growing up poor and uneducated. As a doctor, your supposed to preserve life, not perform autopsies on living patients.

This abuse you've been taking is not about us (the members of this forum) wanting to buy or take away the guitar. When it comes to guitars, we ARE your true family and as such, we want what's best for the guitar.

PLEASE!! Have your brother read this thread!!

yeah, except when it all comes down to it, it really is just a peice of wood.

man if you were stranded on an island freezing to death, and all you had was a 1954 strat, would you use it for firewood or freeze to death?

• Members

the subject of this thread is "question about how to price something" why dont we just tell him how much we think the body is worth, let his brother take the neck and thats it, i know that the guitar is a piece of history, but he owns the guitar too and he wants the neck, dr. i wish you could sell the whole thing and get the money, but family is first and i dont thing a family fight is worth a valuable piece of wood.
good luck and i hope you get how much is the body and case worth

• Members

the subject of this thread is "question about how to price something" why dont we just tell him how much we think the body is worth, let his brother take the neck and thats it, i know that the guitar is a piece of history, but he owns the guitar too and he wants the neck, dr. i wish you could sell the whole thing and get the money, but family is first and i dont thing a family fight is worth a valuable piece of wood.

good luck and i hope you get how much is the body and case worth

Beyond our pay grade, I think. We'd need to see it in person and, well, be a veteran Fender appraiser...

• Members

yeah, except when it all comes down to it, it really is just a peice of wood.

man if you were stranded on an island freezing to death, and all you had was a 1954 strat, would you use it for firewood or freeze to death?

WTF?

Is this what you equate Doc's decision to? Freezing to death?

He is not in a life or death situation or for that matter, not even a discomfortable position. This is an entirely greed situation.

The bottom line is, how do you think the guy who granted you two with this grand instrument would feel about what your about to do with his beloved guitar?

My guess is that he would never have given it to you, if he knew you would destroy it.

Heres an idea, why not keep the guitar in tact and share custody of it. Let your bro have it for a few weeks or months and vice versa. Or one of you keep it and let the other use it for the occasional gig.

• Members

I don't play fenders which, I know, makes me igorant to the magnitude of this situation....but I remember once I saw a 1965 SG Special in a glass case. It was like the holy grail of guitars to me and it looked awesome. But later that day when I got home it pissed me off. I knew I couldn't afford the guitar and I knew that anyone who could with just throw it in another glass case. The point is that everyone is making a big deal about taking this thing apart and there's no reason for it. The regular old guitar lover can't afford it and it will end up sitting a glass case. Leo didn't build it to look at. The way it stands now, the brother gets to actually put a part of the guitar to good use and Dr. C gets to put it towards something a lot more important than an old hunk of wood. And after he sells it, hopefully someone will be able to put it to use the way it was intended to be. I can't imagine it being unresonable to ask 5K or better for the body and based on one of your ebay links I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask 1500 for the guard. Your efforts will not be wasted this way. Trust me Dr. C,there are worst things you can do to a guitar than take it apart...one of them is putting it on display. I really hope it all works out.

• Members

why not keep the body and parts and trade one or more of your guitars for the neck and sell it as a whole gutair.

Can't do that... for selling purposes, there in no neck that could be bolted to it that any potential buyer would ever deem worthy.

What I mean is this, let's say someone would be willing to pay $7500 for the loaded body.... I could bolt a $700 2008 Fender Custom Shop neck to the body, and guess what that same buyer would be willing to pay.... yep, $7500.... any non-original part that you install on a guitar like this will not do anything to increase it's value.... no matter what the part is.

• Members

LOL!!
Did you guys see the one ebay auction where the guy was trying to sell just the 1955 pickup covers for $3,495???

http://cgi.ebay.com/1955-fender-stratocaster-bakelite-pickup-covers-orig_W0QQitemZ250245663339QQihZ015QQcategoryZ7266QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm sorry... that's just down right stupid, I can confidently say that as someone who is about to own 1955 strat pickups. Anyone who would pay that needs their head checked.

Or....how about the guy tring to sell the pickups alone for $12,500.00??
http://cgi.ebay.com/1955-ORIG-PICKUPS-POTS-3-WAY-FENDER-VINTAGE-STRAT_W0QQitemZ350051652446QQihZ022QQcategoryZ118985QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Again... that's down right ridiculous.

I may have my brother talked into letting this guy I contacted put this on his brokerage firm/website try to sell this in one piece.... maybe.

• Members

I think I'd convince my bro that the guitar should be auctioned intact. The amount of money you two could fetch could quite possibly change your lives. Someone suggested replicating a neck based on the '55. I think this is an excellent idea.

If one or both of you have your own families and assuming you're not already very well off, you owe it to them to sell this strat.

to me, for tree fiddy

may get more action posting this in the EG forum instead of the classifieds

• Members

i'm not saying to put another neck on it i'm saying you should try to trade or buy the neck from your brother then that $7,500 will jump to $30,000 or more. i'm sure you own something your brother would want.

Archived