OT: I miss hanging out...

Dave Bryce

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I know how you feel, Dave. Once I started the day-gig, I just knew I couldn't be the smartass bastard of old. Sure, I'm faaar from Xxxxxx's official spokesman here, but still... The last thing I need is someone calling my boss and saying "Hey! Audacity told me to shave my mom's back! I'm never buying your products again!"

It's also really difficult to correct misconceptions about the company I work for and the products they make, as this place tends to nurture flamewars against that sort of thing.

What people fail to realize is that the MI industry is impossibly small-- Everyone knows everyone, and word spreads like wildfire. Hell, I've been guilty of badmouthing a public figure and had to publicly apologize here. It's easy to get carried away when enjoying (relative) anonymity.

Actually, Dave, I stopped by the DSI booth at NAMM to say hi, but everyone was busy, and none of their badges were facing forward, so I didn't know which dude was you. :)

• Members
Originally posted by The Audacity Works

Actually, Dave, I stopped by the DSI booth at NAMM to say hi, but everyone was busy, and none of their badges were facing forward, so I didn't know which dude was you.
:)

Dave was the one with the Philly cheesesteak and a water ice.

Wait, maybe that was me (I did get a few moments to wander the show floor).

• Members

Don't these things always go up and down? My time and engagement on the forum(s) varies with my time and engagement in other issues. I try not to think about it too much. I imagine having to wade thtrough the cesspool of oj-posts and such can take the joy out of moderating a bit, perhaps not gettting such e-mails that are not directed at you could help. Myself, I read the Delay... sorry, Dalai :) Lama's books on happines. They help me. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by analogaddict

I imagine having to wade thtrough the cesspool of oj-posts and such can take the joy out of moderating a bit, perhaps not gettting such e-mails that are not directed at you could help.

No way to avoid it, I'm, afraid...apart from not having mod status, that is.

We got something like 40 reported post emails yesterday alone. Yeesh. :rolleyes:

dB

• Members

>

If that's the case, no one told me! The other MP mods brought our forums with us, and that's the difference. We were all brought over here to start interesting threads, converse with people, and oh yes, if there was an occasional problem, to deal with it.

SSS has very few problems, ditto the other "imported" forums. I think the situation would be very different if you'd brought over the Keyboard Corner and left KSS the way it was. Even though the majority of the KSSers were happy to have you as a moderator, 100% of the KC people would have wanted you.

Then again, maybe you're taking this all too seriously. We have other people to deal with the reported posts. I hardly even bother looking at them. If there's a problem with my forum, I know it -- don't need someone to tell me. Until we get official staff moderators for each forum, we've assumed the responsibility of dealing with other forums. But no one has really forced us to do that; we've taken it upon ourselves. I'm sure that the people overseeing HC would much rather see you drop those responsibilities than drop moderating the forum. So would I. Looking over the front page, there's a ton of great stuff here.

Maybe it's time to bring up the idea of a second forum again. I pushed for it before, and I'll push for it again :) But whatever you decide, I hope you would continue to participate in the forum on some level. And if not, well, "asi es la vida," yes?

• Members
Originally posted by Anderton

>

If that's the case, no one told me! The other MP mods brought our forums with us, and that's the difference. We were all brought over here to start interesting threads, converse with people, and oh yes, if there was an occasional problem, to deal with it.

That would be part of the mod thing, yes...but if I'm understanding you correctly, are you saying that mods are not supposed to be authority figures?

I would probably be inclined to say that both my statement and your statement are true.

SSS has very few problems, ditto the other "imported" forums.

..except for the political forum, of course... :eek:

I think the situation would be very different if you'd brought over the Keyboard Corner and left KSS the way it was. Even though the majority of the KSSers were happy to have you as a moderator, 100% of the KC people would have wanted you.

100%? Hmmmm...

I'm not sure it's me that's the issue, Craig - my inclination is that it's the HC vibe. Some people just don't get it.

Me - I like the HC vibe...but I liked it better when I was just a plain ol' member. That's all I'm saying.

Then again, maybe you're taking this all too seriously.

Always possible. :D

If there's a problem with my forum, I know it -- don't need someone to tell me. Until we get official staff moderators for each forum, we've assumed the responsibility of dealing with other forums. But no one has really forced us to do that; we've taken it upon ourselves. I'm sure that the people overseeing HC would much rather see you drop those responsibilities than drop moderating the forum.

Understood and appreciated.

So, why do we have to be bombarded with all of the reported post emails? I got 70 yesterday. 70! That's...a lot.

I'm glad you don't have to read through them. Maybe the volume of posts on your forum permits you to read every post. The volume of posts on KSS does not permit me to do so, so I have to go through all of the reported posts to make sure that none of them are about KSS.

whatever you decide, I hope you would continue to participate in the forum on some level.

But of course - that's the point of all this! See thread title, figure A. ;)

dB

I'm glad you don't have to read through them. Maybe the volume of posts on your forum permits you to read every post. The volume of posts on KSS does not permit me to do so, so I have to go through all of the reported posts to make sure that none of them are about KSS.

Well, since we've working on software upgrades, maybe that's a feature we should try to get - something that flags the forum it came from when we get the email notification on the reported post, instead of everything showing up as a "reported post on HC". That would allow us to determine, at a glance, if it's something that directly relates to our individual forums.

I don't mind helping out with the site in general, but wading through 40 - 70 reported posts every day (and most of them are from other forums and not mine) takes time away from what I'd really prefer to be doing - interacting with people, having conversations about gear and music, giving advice when I can, reviewing stuff, asking questions when I need help, talking about what is coming out soon that looks interesting, etc.

Being a "cop" is part of the moderator gig, but on many forums, it's a small part. And I honestly think HC's senior management / ownership was more interested in us for our independence, experience and knowledge, and less as having us as the "forum police". On some of the forums, I frankly wouldn't want the mod gig simply because "being a cop" would nearly be a full-time job. Frankly, I don't know how Lee has managed to retain her sanity. :eek::(

Brother Dave, what you do is what you do. I know I don't post much, but I've always dug how you handle your forums, and appreciate your considerable knowledge and expertise. I just wanted to toss that out there, because I think you need to know that "what you do" is greatly appreciated. :cool::thu:

• Members

So yeah...the more I think about it, the more I think I'd just rather be a regular ol' contributing member of KSS.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your input on this...I really think it's what I need to do to feel as comfortable here as I used to.

I appreciate you guys putting up with me doing the mod thing. I look forward to just being able to hang again... :cool:

dB

• Members
Originally posted by Dave Bryce

So yeah...the more I think about it, the more I think I'd just rather be a regular ol' contributing member of KSS.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your input on this...

(edited by myself)

You are now on the wings of freedom!

Be welcome back! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Dave Bryce

Thanks for taking the time to give me your input on this...I really think it's what I need to do to feel as comfortable here as I used to.

I appreciate you guys putting up with me doing the mod thing. I look forward to just being able to hang again...
:cool:

dB

Thanks for your contribution here, Dave--see U on the flipside.. :thu:

Regards,
-steve

Archived