Before we self-destruct, would someone please come forward for reporting threads?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Umbra

people who literally know nothing about what they are talking about.

My understanding is that electoral democracy is founded on the rights to discuss and influence public policy by people who don't know what they're talking about.

Originally posted by Umbra

I didn't report the recent ones but I have not problem reporting any future political threads. If you want to talk about politics go to the political forums, duh.

I, personally, mostly skip the political stuff. Either I'll agree with it, in which case I've learned nothing, or I'll disagree with it, in which case I learned nothing and been irritated in the process.

That said, your instruction to go to political forums doesn't hold water. They are populated by people fixated with their own political agendas. I'm much more interested (which isn't much, even at that) in the social and economic views of my peers.

I'm recently arrived here, but I like the tone of this forum. I like the give-and-take and the many asides.

I did ask, a few days ago, for one photo to be pulled (the ribs and guts one) which disturbed me more than I was willing to let slide. I hope that the powers-that-be are not, therefore, including me in the list of "people who object to off-topic stuff." I don't.

• Members

Originally posted by Doug Gifford

My understanding is that electoral democracy is founded on the rights to discuss and influence public policy by people who don't know what they're talking about.

I, personally, mostly skip the political stuff. Either I'll agree with it, in which case I've learned nothing, or I'll disagree with it, in which case I learned nothing and been irritated in the process.

That said, your instruction to go to political forums doesn't hold water. They are populated by people fixated with their own political agendas. I'm much more interested (which isn't much, even at that) in the social and economic views of my peers.

I'm recently arrived here, but I like the tone of this forum. I like the give-and-take and the many asides.

I did ask, a few days ago, for one photo to be pulled (the ribs and guts one) which disturbed me more than I was willing to let slide. I hope that the powers-that-be are not, therefore, including me in the list of "people who object to off-topic stuff." I don't.

Why should your objections to a picture determine whether I should see it or not? I find the fact that you asked for it to be pulled quite offensive, more so than the picture, I'm sure.

• Members

Originally posted by droolmaster0

Why should your objections to a picture determine whether I should see it or not? I find the fact that you asked for it to be pulled quite offensive, more so than the picture, I'm sure.

Um, it was in a thread labelled "When will the analog craze finally die out?" Too bad about your offense. Would this still apply if it was a photo of some guy ass-{censored}ing a pig?

• Members

Um, it was in a thread labelled "When will the analog craze finally die out?" Too bad about your offense. Would this still apply if it was a photo of some guy ass-{censored}ing a pig?

Absolutely.

First - I'll bet that you could see that the thread had gone off topic before the picture.

And secondly - while I may have found the picture you describe disgusting and offensive (especially if it were my pig), I would not have the audacity to try to prevent you from seeing it.

• Members

First - I'll bet that you could see that the thread had gone off topic before the picture.

Therefore, once someone takes any thread off-topic, I no longer have the right to read it unless I tacitly agree to suck back absolutely anything anyone wants to post?

Some of the posts were still on-topic.

And secondly - while I may have found the picture you describe disgusting and offensive (especially if it were my pig), I would not have the audacity to try to prevent you from seeing it.

Some cooler head had suggested to the poster that he turn it into a link rather than a photo. That would have removed any of my objections, but it wasn't done.

• Members

Therefore, once someone takes any thread off-topic, I no longer have the right to read it unless I tacitly agree to suck back absolutely anything anyone wants to post?

Some of the posts were still on-topic.

Some cooler head had suggested to the poster that he turn it into a link rather than a photo. That would have removed any of my objections, but it wasn't done.

I guess I'm just constantly amazed at the lengths people will go to control MY environment so that it is in sync with their sensibilities. Someone else might be offended by something much more mild than that, etc, such as any disparaging remark about the U.S. government. I certainly understand that you were offended by that picture, and I certainly understand that someone wouldn't mind if they didn't see it. What I find offensive is your utter willingness to determine that for me. It's not the importance of the picture to my life. That isn't the issue.

• Members

I guess I'm just constantly amazed at the lengths people will go to control MY environment so that it is in sync with their sensibilities

Actually, it's OUR shared environment. My wife often comes into our shared office, farts, and then wanders off. I'd like to control that, too. That's just the controlling kind of guy I am.

FearMyPotato asked for some of the please-deleters to come forward and I have done so with an explanation of my action and an assurance that I actually support a great degree of off-topicedness in the forum. Anyone else want to get flamed?

This will be my last post on this topic; I have work to do.

• Members

. . . your instruction to go to political forums doesn't hold water. They are populated by people fixated with their own political agendas. I'm much more interested (which isn't much, even at that) in the social and economic views of my peers.

Well said! :)

• Members

Actually, it's OUR shared environment. My wife often comes into our shared office, farts, and then wanders off. I'd like to control that, too. That's just the controlling kind of guy I am.

FearMyPotato asked for some of the please-deleters to come forward and I have done so with an explanation of my action and an assurance that I actually support a great degree of off-topicedness in the forum. Anyone else want to get flamed?

This will be my last post on this topic; I have work to do.

Obviously it's our shared environment. That was my point. As far as your wife goes, perhaps that little anecdote explains why you are so hypersensitive about pig ass-{censored}ing.

• Members

>

That's right. And by the nature of being shared, there will of necessity be some compromises. Some pictures that some people find offensive WILL NOT be deleted because the mods feel they're not really a problem, and that the people who find them offensive need to lighten up. OTOH some pictures that some people don't find offensive WILL be deleted because again, in our judgement, some people WILL find them extremely offensive.

I cannot guarantee that our judgement will be 100% correct all the time, which is another compromise. We don't even always agree amongst ourselves. However, we are the ones with responsibility to determine these kinds of things and for better or worse, we do...although we do look primarily to the community for guidance.

It's impossible to please everyone all the time so we consider it a success if we keep most of the people happy most of the time.

• Members

uh - isn't is obvious (I guess not) that that joke was meant to be extremely silly?

Ha! It's pretty easy to take it the wrong way.

I think if it were an all-or-nothing sort of situation, then I would appreciate drool's arguments. But it's not, as Anderton just laid out. If anything, the moderators should be grilled on what their tolerance levels are - since they are the gatekeepers.

In the end, you can really only continue to participate and see if the environment suites you. If it does not then participation is not mandatory.

• Members

Originally posted by sizzlemeister

Ha! It's pretty easy to take it the wrong way.

well, that type of insulting comment is not my style. Really. I thought that it was so ridiculous that no one could take it seriously. But I erred. I do have a child by pig ass-{censored}ing, so my judgement is somewhat suspect on the whole issue.

• Members

I have a confession to make.

I get really annoyed when people make "Deliverance" referances when the state of West Virginia is mentioned in a thread. Deliverance takes place in Georgia.

I am not from WV, and this has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, I just really needed to get that off my chest. thx!:wave:

Archived