Instructional videos (reviews)

• Members

Thx for the input Gennation... I'm working on my reading as it has been years since I've done any legit reading for guitar.

I guess that I'd rate my self as an entry-level "intermediate" guitarist. I have an average knowledge of the 'ole "lap piano" or guitar fretboard. I have long loved the way Mclaughlin improvises and while I won't pretend that I will match him perhaps his DVDs can help me understand WHY he plays what he plays.

I'll work on my reading for a few months and I'll buy JMs DVDs for my Birthday in April- as a reward for "dekrutching" myself from tab. Thx again for the heads up Gennation!

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

BYCU, John Gnapes NOT a video, but comes w/ book & audio cd

Okay, BYCU is a killer must have if you want to do a blues method course! You need some previous electric instruction to get going on this course, i guess if you are an advanced beginner you can do it. It gets deep and more involved about half way through the 15 chapters. After that comes More Blues You Can Use book and then his Jazz book. He has a web site with forums that he is active on. I donlt have time to do a detail review, but i can state his lessons are the best for a blues method format that I have ever tried. If you DO his lessons you will improve and you will know how to apply major & minor blues scales, progressions, and get to practice with some killer blues arrangements of his.

I am comparing BYCU instruction aganist, Jim Weider, Keith Wyatt, Nat Guitar Workshop materials, Hal Leonard stuff, and Greg Koch blues instructions, which i have all tried. All these are great, but BYCU is different and goes more into detail with blues chords, progressions & scales.

I wish BYCU was in a DVD format, but it's not, and may really be too involved to be suited for a dvd imo.

mark

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi all,
I am relativly new round here, but thought i would ask if anyone had used this instructional video set at all, and if so how you found them.
they are fairly pricey compared to others but you do get 32hrs worth of video instruction plus extras.
thanks in advance
cheers
Geoff
ps here is a link to it. http://www.absolutelyunderstandguitar.com/

• Members

How To Play Hard Rock & Heavy Metal Guitar DVD : Guitar World magazine Senior Editor Andy Aledort teaches you how to play Hard Rock & Heavy Metal Guitar in this 2 hour instructional DVD.

i personally recommend this DVD for beginners in rock guitar.

How To Play Rock Guitar DVD : Guitar World magazine Senior Editor Andy Aledort teaches you how to play Rock Guitar in this 2 hour instructional DVD.

How To Play Blues & Blues Rock DVD : Guitar World magazine Senior Editor Andy Aledort teaches you how to play the Blues and Blues Rock Guitar in this 2 hour instructional DVD.

order his dvds

guys this guy is great. been a great tutor with a nice smile on his face. (but a serious guy ofcorse.)

• Members

Hi all,

I am relativly new round here, but thought i would ask if anyone had used this instructional video set at all, and if so how you found them.

they are fairly pricey compared to others but you do get 32hrs worth of video instruction plus extras.

thanks in advance

cheers

Geoff

ps here is a link to it.

Yes, I'm also interested in this one. Looks very comprehensive. The instructor looks a little loopy though.

http://www.absolutelyunderstandguitar.com/guitar-lessons-dvd-instruction-videos.html

• Members

Hi all,

thanks in advance

cheers

Geoff

ps here is a link to it.

I'm also interested in this series. Any reviews? How about the Rock House Learn Guitar series?

• Members

Just the thread I've been looking for! :thu:

I've been screwing around with guitar for about 5 years now and have recently decided to REALLY learn the instrument. In my country (Philippines), we basically live off alternative/pop/acoustic with some weirdness mixed in every once in a while so musical virtuosity is hard to find outside of a conservatory.

Anyways, I've been saving up my birthday money for the last 3 years and I was originally going to find an actual guitar teacher but the only decent teacher I've found lives nearly 10 miles from my house. Combine that with a grueling college schedule (Nursing) and I can safely say that videos are the pretty much the only way I can learn for now. Books are good too but I already do enough reading at school :p

I've already purchased come chop builders (Rock Discipline and Intense Rock are my favorites but they don't really offer much in way of theory/soloing/composition. Sad to say I learn most of my stuff through tab :cry:

I WANT to learn the following:
- Scales/keys/modes and how to apply them (I have no idea what 'key' a song is in or what 'mode' or 'scale' a guitarist is using :freak:)
- How to solo/improvise or just 'jam'
- How to play a song by ear (there has to be a better way to do this than by just playing at random and hoping to find the melody I'm looking for)
- How to compose actual songs and riffs beyond the usual "chug-chug" chord progressions.

Here are some DVDs I've found on the net and I would really like your opinions on them:

1) Metal Method by Doug Marks 2007 Version - this has been around for quite a while since I remember seeing these on guitar mags. Doug seems like a cool guy and the course looks quite good. I also remember Rusty Cooley (guitarist for powermetal band Outworld) being one of the few well-known guitarists in the world to actually admit to learning from it. It has 6 DVDs included in the complete course.

2) Learn and Master Guitar - really fricking expensive (about $200) but it's supposedly the best instructional out there. I've seen some reviews on the net saying great it is but they all link to the official site as paid affilaites and that makes me wonder :confused:

3) Lick Library - particularly the courses taught by Danny Gill (I think they are Rock Concepts, Advanced Rock, etc since his teaching style is supposed to be the best out of the other instructors.

4) This Is The Way I Do It by John McLaughlin - just as expensive as Learn and Master Guitar. I'm not too fond of jazz but I am aware of McLaughlin's musical prowess. I'm just not sure how he'd do as a teacher. From what I've heard, it seems to be geared towards the advanced guitarist since it focuses on improvising and features no TAB option :eek: If this and LaMG really can do what they claim to be do, then they might be all I need to be a competent guitarist :idea:

I really need your help here guys. It's kind of a blessing and a curse that there's literally thousands of guitar instructionals these days. Lots of choices but it takes a while to find the good ones from the ones what only work for certain people (coughcoughYngwieMalmsteencoughcough)

• Members

^ Ditto. I'm actually one of the few people in my age group that know about XYZ. The DVD claims some pretty outrageous things and I guess its more out of mobid curiosity that I'm trying to find out just what he teaches in it.

Here's my reviews of some DVDs I've used. Most of them were pretty bad but that's just me :

Rockhouse Method: Learn Rock Guitar - one of the newer DVDs out there. It's not bad and the teacher John McCarthy has some impressive chops. The only problem is that they don't really explain how to practice the stuff taught in the DVD. They just kinda throw it at you. The Advanced Metal DVD was a low point since it basically just shows a riff and the slow version of it, rinse and repeat for 60 minutes. No explanation, no nothing.

Yngwie Malmsteen Video Instructional - not sure what the title is but he's wearing a purple suit in it. I like Yngwie but he comes off as kind of arrogant here (although with his speed, he's probably entitled to that), playing the riffs at two speeds: fast and FASTER. I think he's scared kids will learn his riffs, buy tight pants and put him out of business.

Zakk Wylde Pentatonic Speedballer - Zakk is one of my idols but I think he made this one drunk. He friggin slurs' his words thorughout the video and English not being my first language, he gets kinda hard to understand sometimes. Still, I think it'll be more useful to me as I get better since some of the licks he plays are just too kickass to ignore.

I'd still love your opinions on the videos I listed previously guys. Thanks! :thu:

Archived