Instructional videos (reviews)

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^^ Personally, I still find the Petrucci videos to be very good because he explains everything in a really clear way and really integrates practicing with a metronome with his teachings. Just make sure you really want to learn though, since John can get really darned boring at times :p But if you're motivated enough or hyped up on caffeine, it a still a good video.

Try Intense Rock 1 and 2 by Paul Gilbert too; he's got a goofy sense of humor which will help keep you awake for longer. He's a great teacher and burner too so don't let the comedy fool you; his fingers will kick your ass in this life and the after life and probably RAPE your soul along the way.

• Members

Hey guys, aside from the usual "shred" type videos, does anybody know any video instructionals on learning to play fingerstyle-acoustic?

I dug up some old albums of Michael Hedges and I watched videos of Trace Bundy, Justin King and the incredible Andy McKee on Youtube.

Does anyone know how to learn their "slap n' pop" acoustic style of playing? Thanks!

This thread really needs a sticky.....

• Members

I think we need to speak to one of the mods. I really need some information regarding the DVDs I mentioned.

"This is the Way I do it" are the best instructional DVDs for guitar around. If you want to learn the advanced levels of improvisation, this DVD is perfect. You must know your theory and how to read music well, or else you won't get that much out of it.

Basically, get the DVD if you feel confident in your ability to read music and you know your theory. If you can't read music/don't know theory, learn both and then get the DVDs.

• Members

I'll try to help. First off, the "SEARCH" function is currently working, but who knows for how long. Take advantage of it while you can. I searched "Metal Method" in titles only, and came up with 4 hits: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711997&highlight=Doug+Marks . You'll find more responses if you search "entire posts", but you'll also have to wade through a bunch of unrelated crap.

I haven't used the Doug Marks Metal Method, but I did consider using it at one time, and did quite a bit of research. The responses were OVERWHELMINGLY POSITIVE, and many people said lots of the info. is good for all guitar players and not just metal guitarists. You can get it for $40-50 off EBAy, and that's a no-brainer.

BTW, I'm referring to the DVD/Booklet version. I assume the 2007 version contains similar material, but that's a question for Mr. Marks....

I think we need to speak to one of the mods. I really need some information regarding the DVDs I mentioned.

• Members

Hey guys, thanks for the responses!

I guess I'll try out Metal Method then. I still haven't found anything regarding Learn and Master Guitar though, aside from the sites but those are mighty suspicious considering they are affiliated with the official site. I'd still love to hear from the people here what they truly think of it. $299 is still some serious cash, no matter how you slice it.

I actually found a thread right here that discusses it:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1348444

There was a lot of bitching and inflammatory posts. Can anybody just give me the basic gist of it?

This Is The Way I Do It may have to wait though; it costs quite a bit and I can't even read musical notation yet. I might get it when I'm good enough.

Still wanna hear about Tony Burnett's DVDs and Lick Library though. They have ads in almost every guitar mag I've seen. The latter was recommended to me by other forumites. Just curious if there's even a tiny grain of truth behind all that hype they managed to squeeze into 2 pages (for both Lick Library and Tony Burnett) :rolleyes:

• Members

They stock Lick Library dvds at the online dvd rental company i'm with so i've got pretty much all their dvds.

My opinion is the lessons are only as good as the tutor doing them,alot of them have a tendancy to cut corners often using this line

"So and so never played it live the same way twice so i'll show you a couple of his trademark licks and you can come up with your own solo"

This is particularly apparent on the Hendrix and Led Zeppelin ones.

The worst is the Van Halen dvd, it's near impossible to learn Eruption from as it's littered with so many mistakes.

The technique dvd's are on the whole quite good though I got one on "Modes" which was terrible.It basically taught you a solo using each of the seven modes but didn't tell you why it worked.

• Members

I wouldn't even think about "Learn & Master" for that kind of cash. If you want to play rock and metal, "Metal Method" obviously has most of what you need. I'd get that, and if/when you master it you can worry about filling in whatever spaces you feel you're missing. Good luck.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses!

I guess I'll try out Metal Method then. I still haven't found anything regarding
Learn and Master Guitar
though, aside from the sites but those are mighty suspicious considering they are affiliated with the official site. I'd still love to hear from the people here what they truly think of it. $299 is still some serious cash, no matter how you slice it.

I actually found a thread right here that discusses it:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1348444

There was a lot of bitching and inflammatory posts. Can anybody just give me the basic gist of it?

This Is The Way I Do It
may have to wait though; it costs quite a bit and I can't even read musical notation yet. I might get it when I'm good enough.

Still wanna hear about Tony Burnett's DVDs and
Lick Library
though. They have ads in almost every guitar mag I've seen. The latter was recommended to me by other forumites. Just curious if there's even a tiny grain of truth behind all that hype they managed to squeeze into 2 pages (for both Lick Library and Tony Burnett)
:rolleyes:

• Members

Hey guys, I've heard somewhere that the Lick Library DVDs do not come with TABS. Is this true? And if it is, just how clear and concise are the DVDs that they feel that tab for the lessons need not be shown?

• Members

Bump :)

Hey, what do you guys think about that instructional by Marty Friedman? I think its called Melody Control or something. I really liked Marty's work on Megadeth and his current stuff (though his latest album was released in Japan only). His 'Cacophony' work was a bit....weird for me though.

I know about his other video Exotic Metal Guitar but I personally didn't find it very useful for me. It's only because I love Marty's work on Megadeth that I'm even asking about his other video.

• Members

John Petrucci - Rock Discipline
4 stars. WOW! Lots o' info here. I have it on tape, which makes it tough to rw/ff to your favorite spots, so get the DVD instead. Great warmup ideas, and approaches to playing. He presents the material really well and knows what he is talking about. I subtracted a star cause there's just sooo much on this tape it's tough to get through it all at once! Booklet included, but also pick up the book too!

I know this is old, but that is a really silly reason to remove a star. Unlike most guitar videos, which are incredibly sparse on content for the money, Rock Discipline goes into great detail and provides a plethora of information on the mechanics of guitar playing. I'd have to say it's probably the best general purpose mechanics videos out there, and I'm not a Petrucci fan. Also, it's not really meant to be devoured in one sitting, but used over time. Anyone who attempts to do everything on the DVD in one day is going to hurt themselves, and is not practicing effectively.

• Members

I've already purchased come chop builders (
Rock Discipline and Intense Rock are my favorites
but they don't really offer much in way of theory/soloing/composition. Sad to say I learn most of my stuff through tab
:cry:

There are generally three type of instructional DVD/Videos out there:

1: Mechanical - Dealing with how to play and various techniques.

2: Theory - Music theory, what to play, why you play it, etc.

3: Licks - Standard licks in certain musical styles.

It's important to understand what type of video you're getting before buy it. Rock Discipline is purely mechanics and techniques with a few extra tidbits thrown in. The Guitar Grimoire videos (crappy videos, decent books) or the Fretboard Logic course will teach you all the theory you want, but do nothing for the mechanics of playing. 50 Country Licks will teach you some stock licks to incorporate in your own playing (and people lift and alter licks all the time, even professionals). Some videos try to mix the two, but I haven't seen many that I thought were good because they were too schizophrenic in how they dealt with subjects.

• Members
There are generally three type of instructional DVD/Videos out there:

1: Mechanical - Dealing with how to play and various techniques.

2: Theory - Music theory, what to play, why you play it, etc.

3: Licks - Standard licks in certain musical styles.

It's important to understand what type of video you're getting before buy it. Rock Discipline is purely mechanics and techniques with a few extra tidbits thrown in. The Guitar Grimoire videos (crappy videos, decent books) or the Fretboard Logic course will teach you all the theory you want, but do nothing for the mechanics of playing. 50 Country Licks will teach you some stock licks to incorporate in your own playing (and people lift and alter licks all the time, even professionals). Some videos try to mix the two, but I haven't seen many that I thought were good because they were too schizophrenic in how they dealt with subjects.

Well said. I think you forgot the 4th one: The 'watch me shred really fast and try to learn it' vids ;)

I'm really more particular towards mechanical/theory type vids; I'm also trying out ear training since hearing licks and being able to play them almost instantly kinda elminates the need for special "Licks" type videos. Plus, it darned useful and really cool :thu:

I think there's a book out there by Guthrie Govan called Creative Guitar and from what I can tell, it cover both theory and technical aspects of playing; the Hal Leonard books also look good, I'm considering either Music Theory For Guitarists or The Complete Guitar Method Compilation. I'd love to hear your thoughts on these guys. :D

Still waiting for some opinions on Tony Burnett's Videos/Marty Friedman.....

• Members

Marty Friedman's Melodic Control. A pretty excellent video in my opinion. He talks about his thought processes during the Composition or Improvisation of a solo, how to relate your phrases to the chord changes, like in Jazz, but in a rock context. You should know your chords, also the triad and seventh arpeggios and their inversions in all the keys all over the neck, and the major and minor scale in all positions. That way you'll really get the most out of what he's saying and not just coping his licks which aren't that interesting in this particular video, probably he really just wants you to develop your own ideas so he doesn't give out the good stuff. Not as nearly so technically advanced as Exotic Metal, which I also enjoyed quite a lot and gives excellent advice on building fast licks and spontaneous variations.

Also get Joe Pass' videos! Immediately! George Benson's is worth your while too, but he doesn't get deep into the gritty harmonic talk i'd like to hear from him. He basically just tells you to sing what you play and play what you sing. But really exciting to watch his fingers work their magic. I haven't seen McLaughlin except a few clips on youtube, it's probably great. If you have the cash to blow on it. But it's prolly a better investment in your playing than a boutique overdrive ;) Other Jazz videos are pretty boring if they aren't great artists already. And most rock videos are kinda boring because they don't know what the hell they're talking about and just show you some fast flash. Find Satriani's lessons, he doesn't have a whole video to himself but anything where he talks about guitar technique is a must see. Brian Setzer's video has some cool double stop licks and he sings and rocks.

I like Zakk Wylde's old hot licks video too. Good advice on developing vibrato and multiple string bending and wild pentatonic licks. Except that's all he knows how to do.

And yes. Yngwie's old REH video is the {censored}. I mean it's not that instructional. But if you wanna learn that style this is the best way because his technique is so much better here than the more recent videos he's made that kinda suck. And it's kinda pointless for him to play the examples even slower than he does... since they don't have the same feel as in a fast tempo which you're trying to get at. Just learn Harmonic Minor, and the dominant Phrygian. The major and minor arps on 2, 3, and 4 strings, and the diminished 7th, and how to connect them all. And then his licks are so easy since that's all he uses. Just speed them up. Put it all together.

p.s. if you look around you can get them for free off the internets... but you didn't hear it from me...

• Members

It's been said before, but this thread is in dire need of a sticky. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I just wanted to ask if there are any suggestions on videos regarding fingerstyle guitar. I have a concept for a band where there are two guitarists, one who 'shreds' and one who deals with fingerstyle acoustic. I'm currently the one on shred duty (if you've seen my previous posts, you'd get that idea early on) and my friend has decided to take on fingerstyle duties. Can anyone suggest anything?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
ah - but videos made by the band members themselves

:)

Genre 'Music & Musicals' -> 'Music Lessons'

Tons of great stuff. I rented both of Eric Johnsons vids. :thu:
Then Robin Trower, a couple of Rockabilly vids, ...

They also have Paul Gilbert, Danny Gatton, Joe Pass, Buddy Guy, Warren Haynes, Johnny Hiland, ... many more.

Archived