Improve timing. Drum Machine?

SE1081

• Members

Any advice or sites that would help with my timing? I've been having trouble saying in beat with the drummer if the beat changes slightly or when I start to tire out after a long set.

I would like to get something a little more advanced than a metronome. I'm thinking about buying a Boss DR-880.

thanks for your time!

Pic of drum machine

• Members

Learn to count out your parts with a metronome while also tappinng your foot to the beat. While this may seem mechanical and un-musical, it is vital that you are able to play with full awareness of the ups and downs of rhythm as a continuum - for lack of a better word - and not just note attacks you sprinkle over the drummer.

One more thing. might be the drummers fault too.

• Members

A metronome will expose you for the fraud that you are. It's much easier to play with a beat supplied by a drummer or a drum machine than with a simple click track. I thought my rhythm was pretty good until I got one of those suckers. They *will* help improve your rhythm, though, to a huge extent, much more than just farting around with a drummer or drum machine.

Good luck!

• Members

yup. go with the metronome. I thought I my timing was good or at least alright when I jammed with a bassist or bass player and a drummer. but as I took out my metronome some weeks ago I realized, that my timing ain't that good as I expected it to be. so now I get into playing with a metronome. at least my figner training at the beginning. and it already helps a lot. AND yes for me it's a lot harder to stay in time with a simple click but I feel how I'm getting used to it.

• Members

Originally posted by paulodumb

A metronome will expose you for the fraud that you are. It's much easier to play with a beat supplied by a drummer or a drum machine than with a simple click track. I thought my rhythm was pretty good until I got one of those suckers. They *will* help improve your rhythm, though, to a huge extent, much more than just farting around with a drummer or drum machine.

Good luck!

I am forced to agree.

You will develop a great sense of time and be able to hold it, drummers tend to do fills and whatnot so you should be able to count on your own, independently.

The drum machine is a great tool, but the metronome is more elemental and you can count anything with the metronome. It is also a hell of a lot cheaper.

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

:rolleyes:

Everyone knows Asian drum machines are far superior. Its because they're better at math ya know.

You guys have finally lost it...

...Asian metronomes are total crap unless they come from either...

- Korea

- China

- Laos

- Vietnam

- Japan

- Philipines

- Malaysia

- and occasionally Indonesia

I rest my case.;)

• Members

I wouldnt buy something from north korea if my life depended on it.

North korea's government can eat my ass, and I hope the US {censored}s their world up soon for thinking they're going to rule the world.

By the way, writing asian power is really retarded. It's ok to be proud of your heritage, but dont act you or anyone is a supreme race.

• Members

Originally posted by SE1081

I wouldnt buy something from north korea if my life depended on it.

North korea's government can eat my ass, and I hope the US {censored}s their world up soon for thinking they're going to rule the world.

By the way, writing asian power is really retarded. It's ok to be proud of your heritage, but dont act you or anyone is a supreme race.

stop trying to be political, you suck at it!

• Members

When america stops caring about it's citizens and doesnt have labor laws to protect us, it will then have sweat shops and be able to make items cheaper, such as electronics, by paying us dick and/or making children work 16 hours a day instead of getting an education and being a child.....hence so many immigrants coming from asian countries in the past 10 years.

It's a matter of profit, not that asians are necessarily smarter.

• Members

Originally posted by josiahcooper

stop trying to be political, you suck at it!

Originally posted by josiahcooper

yeah asian machines are excelent quality

ASIAN POWER!!!

I dont think I need to say anything, your ignorance is apparent.

• Members

all i Have to say is number 2, and we all know what number 2 is. I'm glad "white power" doesn't upset you.

I'm going to bed, you guys keep posting {censored} about me....I love it. It's going to make for a great conversation tomorrow at work!

I'm sure if we would meet in person we'd get along well.

I hope I didnt piss anyone off, I'm prone to conflicts....I'm sure you know that by now.

HUMAN POWER! EARTH POWER! yeah!!!!!!!!!!

Archived