Cold weather = Sore joints??

PRSnotPOS

• Members

Hey guys... I've been having a problem with my pinky finger being a little sore around the first and second knuckle. It started last winter and would bother me when I was doing certain bends or faster paced legato type stuff. Then when the weather started to warm up the problem went away. Now that the weather is getting cool I've notice some soreness in my pinky again. Sometimes when I make a fist with my left hand my pinky will sort of pop and the be a little sore. Also today I was doing a bend with just my pinky finger, which was a dumb idea to begin with, and I got a sharp pain near the knuckle between the distal (the tip of your finger) and middle phalange. Anyways, I've notice that my joint get sore and stiff with the cold weather. I know that is normal but does anything like this ever happen to you guys or do you have any suggestions (stop making fists, or stop bending with just my pinky)??

• Members

There's this stuff called capsaicin. It's from some kind of bean. It used to be prescription arthritis medicine. It's available OTC now. This stuff blows every other rub on A-way.
One caution: It is so strong you need to be careful with proper handling and cleanup. Talk to the pharmacist.

• Members

Weather definitly affects joints and injuries. I'd say to do some light stretching and maybe shake out your hands once in a while. Also take breaks when practicing.

Be careful with any type of thing that hurts when playing. I use to ignore that type of advise...but once you get some sort of cronic injury its no joke. Also, I think just in general, getting older causes things not to work so well. Getting old: its only for the brave.

capsaicin is also used in pepper spray:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray

For peppers and other hot things, there's this unit of measure called "Scoville units." There was this store I went to that sold lots of hot sauce. They had this one display case that was locked up. Inside were these insanely hot bottles of pure pepper juice. I think you had to sign a waiver to buy those.

As I recall, one of them was called "Satans blood."
http://carolinasauce.stores.yahoo.net/1d0001-1062204843.html

Its 800,000 Scoville units according to that site.

• Members
or stop bending with just my pinky??[/QUOTE]

:idea::thu:

Pain (as opposed to discomfort) is your body's way of telling you to stop doing something. I don't know anybody who bends just using the pinky, the pinky is usually supported with the third finger on the string when doing bends...

• Members
I usually play after dinner, so I just wash the dishes, thereby warming up the hands in hot water and making the mrs happy. As I age the cold does get to the joints somedays.

I know the problem. My solution is to let the joints get to the cold. ;)
The problem with warming the hands in hot water is that this softens the fingernails; which is not good, as I seldom use a pick.

Archived