Changing my grip

bcjames

• Members

Hey all.

Right now im playing with an open hand, but the fingers kind of naturally curl in, and sometimes anchor depending on what im playing. It feels comfortable like this, but sometimes like its making me sloppy.

Ive got about 10 years on this grip now, so might be hard to change, but wondering if its worth trying. I always thought I'd reached my natural limit in speed, even though I dont play fast often, but maybe its to do with my grip.

Anyway, after all that time do you think its worth changing to the closed hand floating grip a lot of people seem to adopt.

Ill post a pic if I need to :)

Cheers,

James

• Members

There's alot of ways to pick at light speed... go watch some videos of Vai, Malmsteen, Sean Lane, Micheal Angelo Batio, Al Demeola, Paul Gilbert and Guthrie Govan... they can all pick fast and they all have different approaches (some more different than others). Your technique may be perfect for your own bio-mechanics and your problem may just be that you haven't worked hard enough on it to get it to a point where you are happy with it.

I guess that's not a particularly helpful response though :p. Based on the pictures, the only thing I'd suggest you try changing is the pick angle. It looks to me like you clamping the pick between your index finger tip and your thumb and angling the pick upwards.

You may find you can pick better if you hold the pick between the side of the index finger and the thumb and angle the pick downwards? That's certainly how I do it and is certainly how every fast picking guitarist I am aware of does it.

• Members

I used to pick like that which is more of a blues method to hold the pick.

Clapton holds his pick like that.

It works ok for that. For faster picking it didn't work for me. The pick would flex too much.

Now I use the bent index finger, pick on knuckle, under thumb pad grip.

I like it better. Doesn't really take too long to switch.

• Members

Ah its blues by where I began :) But like you said, its a bit too flexy for faster runs, seems to flop over the strings back and forth.

P1010082.jpg

On it like this now. Lead stuff isnt too bad, feel a bit noobish again :p but damn, chords feel weird like this. PMing is harder, but I guess thats just some getting used to.

• Members
Ah its blues by where I began
:)
But like you said, its a bit too flexy for faster runs, seems to flop over the strings back and forth.

P1010082.jpg

On it like this now. Lead stuff isnt too bad, feel a bit noobish again
:p
but damn, chords feel weird like this. PMing is harder, but I guess thats just some getting used to.

Hey,

Not sure if this is helpful it is a bit of a different approach ... more of a practice thing but I started using Frank Gambale's DVD "ChopBuilders" and it did wonders for my picking technique. It is pretty dated and made to look like an aerobics video so it is pretty hilarious fashion wise. It is setup as a workout you are supposed to do a couple times a week to keep up your chops. It takes a bit to remember it all but it is VERY good if you use it. Good logical approaches using shapes that slide into your playing quickly.

I am a left handed person but I play guitar right-handed so my dominant hand is on the fretboard. Meaning my weak hand is on the pick side so this video has been great for balancing me out.

I do think practice is the key, not like your technique is way off. Take a look at Steve Morses right hand, it looks pretty awkward but I cant think of a better flat picker than him. Maybe once you sort out your mechanics you should give the video a go - just a thought.

Good luck man!

• Members
On it like this now. Lead stuff isnt too bad, feel a bit noobish again
:p
but damn, chords feel weird like this. PMing is harder, but I guess thats just some getting used to.

Pick angle and pick grip is exactly what I meant, you should find the string will 'release' quicker now allowing you to go faster. You may want to experiement with the exact angle you strike the strings at, because it does effect tone...

Regarding palm muting - as Virgman said, there's no need to form a fist... (I certainly don't). Keep your existing technique and just change the grip. :thu:

Archived