Has anyone studied along with famous guitarists?

Li Shenron

• Members

I've read about quite a lot of forum members who have studied guitar at some prestigious school such as Berkley, from which also many people graduated to become famous guitarists.

Has any of you been in the same class or sharing lessons and practice time with any of the famous Berkley graduates? :cool:

• Members

Has any of you been in the same class or sharing lessons and practice time with any of the famous Berkley graduates?
:cool:

No one "famous" usually graduates from Berklee.

They usually drop out after a semester or two to get in a band.

;)

But do you remember Joe Finklestein?

You know Joe, the guy with the bad skin condition who sat in the back row?

Can't remember?

He graduated last year. Works for Best Buy in the CD department.

best-buy.jpg

• Members

No one "famous" usually graduates from Berklee.

They usually drop out after a semester or two to get in a band.

;)

:lol:

A friend of mine graduated from there but he's not famous. So I guess if you wanna "be famous", you go to Berklee and drop out before you graduate. :badump:

• Members

I went to Berklee and John Mayer was there while I was there, but we had no classes together... I also was friends with Chris Pennie, the drummer for Dillinger Escape Plan and now Coheed and Cambria... Also, Marco Benevento (keyboard player, jam style) and I used to jam a bit... and Adam Deitche (drummer) who played wit hScofield and Average White Band....

• Members

I've played with, and taken lessons from famous and not famous guys.

Fame doesn't seem to have anything to do with talent as a player or a teacher, from what I can tell.

Ain't that the truth. I remember learning that studying guitar magazine lessons by famous players. Some of the info was so scatterbrained...here is a major arpeggio triplet...now here's that arpeggio wailing up & down the neck in sixteenth note triplets complete with taps & slides!

Thankfully, Satch & Morse (among others) had real teaching skills in their blood.

• Members

A friend of mine graduated from there but he's not famous. So I guess if you wanna "be famous", you go to Berklee and drop out before you graduate.
:badump:

Yup. That happens. Berklee's always had a high dropout rate for a variety of reasons.

Steve Vai was a student there at the same time I was. I only knew him as "that guy that's obsessed w/ Frank Zappa" Later, I heard he'd gotten a gig w/ Frank, and my reaction was "Really? That guy? Is he good or something?"

Open mouth/Insert foot

• Members

Of course, the story goes on. Given enough time there is "karmic payback"...

20-something years later, Steve was awarded an "Honorary Doctorate of Music" by Berklee for his outstanding music career. The night before the ceremony, Berklee put on a concert in his honor. I was asked to play "For the Love of God" and "The Attitude Song" with Steve sitting front row watching.

There is so much about the story that's "just wrong" y'know?

For the record, SV was very nice, very complimentary toward me. We've been friendly ever since.

• Members

20-something years later, Steve was awarded an "Honorary Doctorate of Music" by Berklee for his outstanding music career. The night before the ceremony, Berklee put on a concert in his honor. I was asked to play "For the Love of God" and "The Attitude Song" with Steve sitting front row watching.

For the record, SV was very nice, very complimentary toward me. We've been friendly ever since.

Wow !

So, you played the songs?

Weird story indeed.

But regardless, Vai is an incredibly creative musician ! It's not for nothing that Zappa took him in his band.

• Members

I was just listening to "FTLOG" yesterday. That's a great song. I had my player replaying it over and over.

That was some pressure on you to do that one with him sitting there. :eek:

• Members

Studied with?? Well, I guess that begs the question whether that was formerly via Berklee, or informally while AT Berklee?

Didn't study with anyone famous, per se (unless Jim Kelly and Mike Ihde are considered famous?). But while attending Berklee, I knew many famous (and not-so famous) musicians, including:

Guitarist Joe Stump (was the Floor Monitor in my dorm) :)

Guitarist Al Pitrelli (whom I claim stole the whole TSO idea FROM ME!!! :mad: )

Keyboardist Derek Sherinian (Al P's roommate)

Songwriter Aimee Mann

Pianist Karen Mantler (daughter of Carla Bley)

Metal Guitarist Mike Hickey

Guitarist John Petrucci

Drummer Mike Portnoy

One of the Marsalis brothers (forget who -- Wynton?)

Guitarist Darren Householder

Guitarist Toshi Iseda

Jammed lots with these people, and lots others. Berklee was fun in the 80s.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Cool Vai story Jonn!

I had an hour long lesson with Tony MacAlpine back around 1990. When I was about 12 (umm, 1974ish) I had a drum lesson with the legendary Ed Shaunessey.

In the 80s I had the pleasure of being on stage with Tina Turner and also Rod Steward. I did a stint with Shelly West too. In the early 80s I had mutual friends with Maynard from Tool and we did a few impromptu jams at parties and things. And over the years I've opened and hung out with a {censored} ton of bands: Kansas, Lee Greenwood, Asia, The Tube, Alabama, and list goes on. Lately I did a gig with Danny Elfman's brother Richard. Oh, and my old buddy Tom Weber was EHV main (only) guitar tech on tthe last tours.

• Members

Ain't that the truth. I remember learning that studying guitar magazine lessons by famous players. Some of the info was so scatterbrained...here is a major arpeggio triplet...now here's that arpeggio wailing up & down the neck in sixteenth note triplets complete with taps & slides!

Thankfully, Satch & Morse (among others) had real teaching skills in their blood.

What is it that makes Satch and Morse standout as good teachers?

Interestingly enough, my next guitar teacher is friends with Satch, and is on the same record label as Morse :cop:

• Members

I have seen some video lessons with both Morse and Satch, and I dunno.. I don't get it... I mean, they convey information and all, but I don't really think they come off as the greatest teachers in the world.... They are just alright... Especially Steve Morse... He stammers and stumbles alot and (eventhough he went to UM for music) comes off like a guy that knows less than he should... Plus, I personally think he has the {censored}tiest vibrato of any professional guitarist I have ever heard on record or live. I mean, it sounds like he did a pouind of blow and has some nervous twitch in his fretting hand...

Again, this is just my humble opinion. I do like some of his songwriting, though...

Satch... I like his playing for the most part... His songs are really not my cup of tea... Too cheesed out and boring.. Just a simple vehicle for him to wank over...

Then again I may just be embittered by the lack of GROOVE ORIENTED shred guys in the forefront of the scene (except for maybe Greg Howe and, back in the day, Nuno Bettencourt)....

Groove musicians unite!

• Members

At this point, the most "famous" person I've studied music with is Rufus Cappadocia, during my flirtation with the cello:

http://www.rufusmusic.com/

What he taught me that is applicable to guitar:

- Pentatonic phrases from Mali (specifically for ngoni, an indigenous instrument)

- Polyrhythms (also picked up from Mali)

- There is no limit to the power and expression that can be extracted from pentatonic scales, applied judiciously and with conviction (Rufus could easily drown out any other cellist in the room - he's like the cellist counterpart of Peter Brotzmann).

I guess a couple of group classes with Natalie Haas - another cellist, specializing in Scottish music - also count, but she so used to learning by ear and teaching by ear that I couldn't keep up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I took a summer of lessons from John Petrucci. I wen to High School with him and he obviously kicked ass in High School. But then he came back from Berklee and was teaching at a local guitar shop. After they released When Dream and Day Unite I had just graduated college and was taking the summer offf before strating my job so I took lessons from him there in the shop for the summer. It was so cool. He could play anything. We take it for granted now becausue there are kids all over the internet playing everything but I would just call out tunes and he would sit there right across from me and rip them out note for note. Far Beyond The Sun, etc. One time I asked him to play the Randy Rhoads solo from the Tribute live album that had just come out and sure he enough he laughed and played it. It was awesome to watch.

One time after our lesson he said, "hey the new Steve Morse just came out, you want to hang while I try to figure it out?" So he unwraps the tape, pops it in the little tape deck, listens to 8 bars, stops the tape deck, then plays it on his guitar. Then he hits play, listens for 10 seconds, hits pause and plays the next part. I was like, "That's not figuring out a song, that's hearing it and playing it."

I still have his notes and excercises that he wrote out for me. He was a very cool teacher. He wrote everything out by hand, recorded examples of him playing. He played the Ytse Jam solo at full speed and exact half speed for me in order to learn it. He was a very dedicated teacher and good guy.

Archived