Has anyone studied along with famous guitarists?

Li Shenron

• Members

Cool story Nazgul!

I have a lesson upcoming with Oz Noy in April. Cant wait. Trying to arrange one with Wayne Krantz as well - we have been talking through email. I'll fill you guys in after it/they happen.

Jeremy... I love Oz Noy and he's my boy and all.. BUT.. the only thing... A lesson is $100.00 (at least it was whe n itook mine)... He spent like hjalf the lesson talkingabout {censored} I already knew (like scales and modes and whatnot) and I had to tell him "come on, Oz.. you know I know all this stuff... Get to the point of what I am ASKING YOU, since THAt is what I really am paying you for"... He heard my tracks on my myspace before I took the lesosn, at which point he asked "why do you need lessons from me?" to which I replied: "I just want to understand what goes on in your head when you are improvising"... THEN he got down to it and let me have some cool ideas to work with....

So, all I am saying is, when you take a hig hpricetag lesson, make sure you get what you pay for...

;)

In all seriousness though, Oz is a great guitarist and he also happens to be a super nice dude!!! We shot the {censored} on the phone a few times.... He is very humble and down to earth...

• Members

I took a summer of lessons from John Petrucci. I wen to High School with him and he obviously kicked ass in High School. But then he came back from Berklee and was teaching at a local guitar shop. After they released When Dream and Day Unite I had just graduated college and was taking the summer offf before strating my job so I took lessons from him there in the shop for the summer. It was so cool. He could play anything. We take it for granted now becausue there are kids all over the internet playing everything but I would just call out tunes and he would sit there right across from me and rip them out note for note. Far Beyond The Sun, etc. One time I asked him to play the Randy Rhoads solo from the Tribute live album that had just come out and sure he enough he laughed and played it. It was awesome to watch.

One time after our lesson he said, "hey the new Steve Morse just came out, you want to hang while I try to figure it out?" So he unwraps the tape, pops it in the little tape deck, listens to 8 bars, stops the tape deck, then plays it on his guitar. Then he hits play, listens for 10 seconds, hits pause and plays the next part. I was like, "That's not figuring out a song, that's hearing it and playing it."

I still have his notes and excercises that he wrote out for me. He was a very cool teacher. He wrote everything out by hand, recorded examples of him playing. He played the Ytse Jam solo at full speed and exact half speed for me in order to learn it. He was a very dedicated teacher and good guy.

Kick ass story! And to have taken a whole summer of lessons. That summer must have changed your life as far as playing I would think/hope.

• Members

Cool story Nazgul!

I have a lesson upcoming with Oz Noy in April. Cant wait. Trying to arrange one with Wayne Krantz as well - we have been talking through email. I'll fill you guys in after it/they happen.

That's a hell of an opportunity/opportunities. Krantz would be so off the wall, it would seem like you're learning guitar all over again! Even though he's been out for more than a decade he's still like the new Bill Frisell.

Report back for sure.

Archived