7/9 chord vs a standard 9th - whats the difference?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Although 6/9 is not a "slash chord", like E/G# would be. But yes, that's probably where the mislabelled 7/9 originated.

Yeah, I meant chords that "contain a slash," as opposed to "slash chords" where the slashed note is in the bass. Sheesh, no wonder people get confused.

• Members
Ah, so to become a better jazz player I need to learn more pointless semantics and useless theory!
:thu:

Nah, you only need to know theory if you want to pretend like you are a better jazz player. I long ago discovered that playing guitar well is hard, so I just decided to fake it by learning music theory instead. As it turns out I can't do either very well. :facepalm:

• Members

Nah, you only need to know theory if you want to pretend like you are a better jazz player. I long ago discovered that playing guitar well is hard, so I just decided to fake it by learning music theory instead. As it turns out I can't do either very well.
:facepalm:

So it's the pointless semantics that I REALLY need to become a better jazz player, not so much the theory. :thu:

I used to think I needed to learn all possible theory before starting to learn jazz. Then I realized I had it backwards. Now I only look up a theoretical thing if I come across something in a lead sheet I don't understand, like Gb+7, or FMajMin7 (I know what they are now, btw).

Archived