Fingertips or fingernails?

E-money

• Members

I saw a video of a fingerstyle lesson a while ago and the guy said that metal strings "ate" the nails really fast.

I've seen some very good dudes playing metal string guitars with nails but I think its more of a nylon thing.

This dude rocks and he uses nails and metal strings:

6VAkOhXIsI0

• Members

I saw a video of a fingerstyle lesson a while ago and the guy said that metal strings "ate" the nails really fast.

I've seen some very good dudes playing metal string guitars with nails but I think its more of a nylon thing.

I have to disagree. A majority of the steel string fingerstyle players at the acoustic forum use nails, me included. Some peoples' nails are just stronger than others.

As far whether to use nails or fingertips, just try both and go with the one you like more.

• Members

Most people use no nails for steel string guitars but it is really just preference. I knew a guy that would do acrylic nails and then file them down to a certain shape so he could play better. You should try to grow them a little bit and see if you like it or not. If you like the nails thing try wearing some nail strengthening nail polish like hard-as-nails or something like that. And eat lots of jello, it's suppose to be good for that kind of stuff too.

• Members

I use no nails at all - just fingertips - for fingerstyle guitar.

But I'm probably in the minority.

For electric, skin is the way to go. You can then crank the presence and high mids for clarity. Settings that are virtually unplayable with nails -or pick, become buttery magic.

• Members

Funnily enough I've just been experimenting with growing my nails for the first time. One of my friends plays with nails and it sounds great for what he does. It doesn't really do it for me - I found the extra brightness and attack less pleasing than the sound I make just using fingertips. It was worth a try but I'm glad I don't have to put up with those nails getting in the way on the computer keyboard now!

• Members

I would have to say if it's a steel string guitar, then you don't need fingernails. In fact, they might break. If it is nylon string then yes you do need them. I know of some classical guitarists with real long nails which aren't necessary. Mine are moderately long even though I am always breaking them.

• Members

Imo, the best tone for a nylon string guitar being played with fingers is when the flesh of the fingertip and the nail strike the string at the same time. Everything else, I prefer just my fingertips. I bite my nails anyway so its a moot point to me. All I care about is that all the strings sound even.

Archived