What are the qualities of an accomplished well rounded musician?

Sight reading

scale knowledge

the ability to learn by listening

Definitely these three

What else? How about being able to go
meedly-mee
? :shred:
:o

:confused:

Not this so much, but the ability to improvise something appropriate for a wide range of musical situations. If you're presented with something that needs a guitar solo, be able to play something fits the style, groove, and the harmony. It doesn't necessarily need to be fast (unless that's what's most appropriate) but it needs to work. And not just for solos: melodies, rhythm guitar parts, and so on.

Also an incredibly important aspect is time. A well rounded musician must have an absolutely solid sense of rhythm and tempo, and be able to play just about any common rhythm in a wide range of tempos.

• Members

What are the qualities of an accomplished well rounded musician?

I don't know if there are any absolute empirical standards, but as a generalization, my opinion would be that one should have a high level of skill in the following areas:

- Listening skill

- Mental understanding

- Physical technique

- Timing

Additionally, a knowledge of styles, players, and music history would come into play.

Some great players primarily excel in one style, while others may have a strong grasp on many styles. Those with a grasp on many styles are probably more 'well rounded', but not necesarily 'better'.

my $0.02

• Members

I think a well rounded veteran musician should have:

1. Patience.
2. The ability to understand things.
3. The ability to exptrapolate tons of knowledge from one tiny morsel of information. (this could be viewed as motivic development).
4. Self confidence
5. A good ear (hamonically, melodically and rhythmically)
6. technique that serves the ends to which the player wishes to go, or to the ends to which his/her imagination carries them.
7. Optimism
8. A thorough understanding of groove/rhtyhm/tempo and how that all applies to different genres of music.
9. a repertoire of different tunes/pieces.
10. at least 5 groupies.

Obviously there is MUCH MUCH more I could have said/added, but I think that on a preliminary level, this isa pretty decent list.

;)

• Members

Have all the technique down pat, knowing your scales and stuff, but also not letting yourself be limited by scale patterns and not thinking 'by the book', adding a little dissonance in places.

Basically, you start off as a begginer, music is music, you become intermiadiate/expert, and guitar explodes into many many different complicated techniques scales and other things, then when you are a guitar god, music becomes music again. When you no longer need to focus on the technique at all and you can use the guitar as a pure method of expression then you're at the epitome of guitar playing.

• Members
What do you come to expect from the veteran musician. What traits do you think should become standard by this point?

Sight reading

scale knowledge

the ability to learn by listening

What else? How about being able to go
meedly-mee
? :shred:
:o

:confused:

Meedly mee is the cornerstone of every modern player today. Despite the naysayers, higher notes have more emotion than lower ones. Better guitarists play faster. And louder. Louder is always better than softer.

Less isn't more. MORE is more..... right????

Archived