There is proof JonR has bin talkin' 'bout Modes again !

• Members

Found this on another forum

"I was hoping Steve or someone might know about any use of the Mixolydian mode with the harmonic seventh, aka septimal minor seventh, in place of the approximately Pythagorean flat seventh. Maybe someone knows of performances or compositions that utilize this "substitution"?"

The guy said he was put up to it by JonR

Can anyone here explain to me what he is talking about ?

Thanks in advance

• Members

The question was nothing to do with modes, but was about the harmonic series.

The "septimal 7th" is a pitch with a 7:4 ratio with the root frequency, 2 octaves below the 7th harmonic of the root.  It roughly corresponds to a minor 7th interval with the root.

Try finding the harmonic on your low E between frets 2 and 3, nearer to fret 3.  It will be close to a D (10th fret top E),  but significantly flat (32 cents).  Check the harmonic with your tuner.

The OP's point was that you could - in theory - make a perfectly pure sounding dom7 chord by using a 3rd, 5th and 7th tuned exactly to harmonics.  And therefore create a mixolydian mode to fit it (adding 2nd, 4th and 6th also tuned to pure ratios).

major 2nd = 9:8 (4 cents sharp of equal temperament (ET) = pythagorean, or "3-limit"

major 3rd = 5:4 (14 cents flat of ET) = 5-limit

perfect 4th  = 4:3 (2 cents flat of ET) = 3-limit

perfect 5th = 3:2 (2 cents sharp of ET) = 3-limit

major 6th = 5:3 (16 cents flat of ET) = 5-limit

minor 7th = 7:4 = 7-limit, or septimal

"5-limit" tuning (based on ratios of 2, 3 and 5) is considered close enough to our standard western scale system.

"7-limit" tuning is generally  too far out to apply much to our 12-note system (except for a a 7:5 tritone), but there is a theory that blues scale is based on septimal tuning.

More on the concept of tuning and scales based on the harmonic series and pure ratios here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_(music)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_intonation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septimal_meantone_temperament

What I "put him up to"  was to ask the question of steve kimock, who is an expert on all this!

• Members

JonR wrote:

The question was nothing to do with modes, but was about the harmonic series.

The "septimal 7th" is a pitch with a 7:4 ratio with the root frequency, 2 octaves below the 7th harmonic of the root.  It roughly corresponds to a minor 7th interval with the root.

Try finding the harmonic on your low E between frets 2 and 3, nearer to fret 3.  It will be close to a D (10th fret top E),  but significantly flat (32 cents).  Check the harmonic with your tuner.

The OP's point was that you could - in theory - make a perfectly pure sounding dom7 chord by using a 3rd, 5th and 7th tuned exactly to harmonics.  And therefore create a mixolydian mode to fit it (adding 2nd, 4th and 6th also tuned to pure ratios).

major 2nd = 9:8 (4 cents sharp of equal temperament (ET) = pythagorean, or "3-limit"

major 3rd = 5:4 (14 cents flat of ET) = 5-limit

perfect 4th  = 4:3 (2 cents flat of ET) = 3-limit

perfect 5th = 3:2 (2 cents sharp of ET) = 3-limit

major 6th = 5:3 (16 cents flat of ET) = 5-limit

minor 7th = 7:4 = 7-limit, or septimal

"5-limit" tuning (based on ratios of 2, 3 and 5) is considered close enough to our standard western scale system.

"7-limit" tuning is generally  too far out to apply much to our 12-note system (except for a a 7:5 tritone), but there is a theory that blues scale is based on septimal tuning.

More on the concept of tuning and scales based on the harmonic series and pure ratios here:

)

What I "put him up to"  was to ask the question of steve kimock, who is an expert on all this!

Posts like this make me truly feel like an absolute moron. I have been playing most of my life yet this barely reads as English. I guess I've been too busy practicing to look this kind of thing up! ... I guess that is good... 

Archived