Amp modellers that sound great and take pedals in front of them well?

Philthy Phil

• Members

For direct recording. I had a POD years ago and it was crapola. Left digital artifacts on everything. I like the concept and the ease of dialign up something without having to put a mike down and irritate the wife and kids, but I haven't tried anything for a while as a few years ago I was really disappointed. I don't want to put out the kind of $ an Axe FX would require. What's good in the $500 range? Tonelabs?

• Members

Better to sound proof a closet and go for the real thing. Although, I have a Korg D3200 digital recorder that models tube pre-amps and mics quite well, but they are effecting on a live mic'd sound.

I think it depends.... you can model a bass input quite well using the Sans AMP DI. I get a pretty good SVT tone, especially going through a simple tube pre-amp to warm it up. Works well, but that is the only reasonable modeled tone I have heard.

Otherwise, modeled guitars just sound kind of alien.:thu:

• Members

I know, it's hard to find apparently. Although the AxeFx gets stellar reviews, but it should for that price. I've listened to a lot of the AxeFx demos and the problem with 90% of them is that they have so many effects on you can't really judget the pure amp tone on its own.

I have a Sansamp Classic which, with a lot of tweeking, can come up with some pretty cool tones. WAAAAAY better than my old POD, but also way harder to tweak. I might try out some of the Tech21 Character Series pedals. I've heard good things. Probably the best a person can do with analog solid-state emulations of tube amps.

• Members

I'm also considering plugins. The one digital device I tried a couple years ago that did surprise me was the vox tonelab. Back to back with a POD XT, the tonelab sounded significantly better in the clean to crunchy world I live in.
I think I'll try the tonelab le. Wish this mofo luck.

• Members

Digitech GSP 1101 go for about that new. Be sure to get the firmware upgrade C48 that employees of Digitech put together. Lots of good info on these.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=547479

The RP 1000 can be had for a little less.

The Vox Tonelab LE is real cheap these days on ebay. They have good marshall sims. about $250ish

The Vox Tonelab ST is about $179 - $199. The amp models are great but the effects are not as tweakable.

Digidesign's Rack11 for about $775. It is hitting the market between pods and AxeFx.

• Members

How about you tube snobs get the f*ck out of the "High-Tech Guitar" forum? :cop:

To answer the original question, try a POD X3 Live. It's $500, has a FX loop, and will take pedals either in front of it or though it's FX loop.

I've got one and I love it.

• Members

Hi,

My personal opinion is that the Boss GS-10, GT-8, GT-Pro and GT-10 best answers your needs. I think those units have the following advantages over the competition in their respective price range:
1. Dynamics. Respond better to player's touch and to changes you do with the guitar volume and tone controls.
2. Better range of sounds. Without doubt the best units for clean sounds and on the verge of break up but very good for all kinds of sounds.
3. Take pedals better than any other modeler I've tried.

GS-10 also works very well as an audio to computer USB-interface and has a great editor and a great librarian. It also has a lot of good bass amp models.

GS-10 and GT-8 can usually be found second hand at great prices.

I have the GS-10 and I have posted more than 100 tunes using the GS-10 here:
BT King

Good luck!

Mats N

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I like the current-generation Digitech and Boss modelers.

The Boss GTs have a major advantage in terms of routing and control flexibility. That's good for live work, but overkill for the studio and a major disadvantage in terms of climbing the learning curve. The Boss units have a slight edge over Digitech in terms of edge-of-distortion sounds, but suffer from noticeably more self-noise.

Digitech has superior cleans and better high-gain tones than Boss. Unlike Boss, Digitech's patch-editing program runs on Macintosh computers as well as Windows PCs. (Now that I think of it, I'm not sure Boss even supports the PC with anything other than a patch librarian.)

Neither Boss nor Digitech are noted for frequent firmware upgrades. They both get most things right before they start production. However, the Boss upgrade procedure requires a MIDI interface adapter to your computer and is most definitely not idiot proof. (And by idiot, I mean anyone who isn't blessed with exceptional insight and luck when dealing with poorly-documented procedures.) If you make the slightest mistake while upgrading your GT's firmware you'll end up with a very expensive brick that will require a trip to the repair depot for restoration.

The Digitech upgrade requires only a USB cable to your computer, and is as idiot-proof a procedure as I've ever seen. Basically, you run their installer software and push a button. Even if something bad happens (like a power failure), I believe there's a way to restore your unit to its full function without a trip to the depot.

You mentioned the Vox Tonelab. While I won't dissuade you from checking out the Vox products for yourself, my desktop Tonelab was one of the worst-sounding modelers I've played. The dirt tones are passable, but the clean tones had a harsh edge that I simply couldn't dial out. Their effects are sub-par, as well.

I have had the opportunity to spend a significant amount of time playing with Axe-FXs owned by friends. The big win of the Axe-FX, IMO, is in tweakability. If you're the type of player who absolutely needs a very specific tone and feel and are willing to invest the time, effort (and expense) required to get exactly what you want, then the Axe-FX is probably your best bet. Personally, I wouldn't have the patience; I'm the kind of player who's perfectly happy to plug into a provided backline, twist a couple of knobs and get on with the business of making music.

I use a Digitech RP355. For me, it's a perfect combination of size and functionality. There's a "stompbox mode" that allows me to individually control distortion, modulation and echo FX; that's enough for me. I use the built-in DI to go direct to the stage snake when I play out. At home I play through powered speakers.

The RP355 has some fine sounds. A useful percentage of the factory patches will be acceptable to many players (my favorite patch is an unaltered factory patch). The RP's editing is simple and intuitive, thanks in large part to the shallowness of the interface (unlike the Boss and Fractal products).

Archived