What the....? (Behringer content)

TwoHeadedBoy

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by bbrunskill

I think I'll get the Phaser and maybe a delay and a Octaver to put in a feedback loop . . Insanity

Hell yes; if these are even a smidge better than the Danelectro effects with the silly (even by guitar gear standards) names, there will be lots of fun to be had in contexts such as that.

• Members

Originally posted by littlehornyfenderboy56

true. i know i would be mad if i worked my butt off to design a pedal, and some other company takes it and makes it cheaper. but for buyers, it's a dream come true.

Not just cheaper,but puts it out and claims it was their idea or lets unknowing's create that illusion..

• Members

This is very cool.

I can't wait to see if Keeley and Analogman start modding these to Boss specs.

Imagine a Keeley BD-2 for under $75 brand new...

:eek:

And the Muff will probably be quite easy to mod to "vintage" specs. I agree...someone should come up with some mods for that. Considering how hot Muffs are these days, someone could probably pretty easily come up with a "Smashing Muff" mod and make a pretty penny.

• Members

Hey everybody, here's an idea, how about we all stop acting like we know what we're talking about.

:)

For all we know, Behringer could have a {censored}ing business partnership with Boss and Electro Harmonix. Not likely, but we aren't lawyers (except Slim) so lets just play what we like and be excellent to one another.

*Strikes air guitar pose*

• Members
Originally posted by 4Kenoath

I'd be very suprised if they make them with steel casings and offer any kind of real warantee. They must be getting them made for $1-2.
:eek:

And how much do you think it costs Boss to make the same thing? If I was guessing (and I am), I'd guess the profit margin is a bit better on Boss pedals than you think it is (not to be confused w/ Behringer's guess of what their margin is--they know it, and are willing to undercut them on it).

I AM nervous about everything being pcb mounted though.

That said, they CAN'T be as bad as the dano mini stuff--what made those so awful was how small AND cheap they were. With enclosures that size, B-ger can buy cheap components that aren't tiny small....

• Members

Originally posted by crazybilly

That said, they CAN'T be as bad as the dano mini stuff--what made those so awful was how small AND cheap they were. With enclosures that size, B-ger can buy cheap components that aren't tiny small....

The dano minis are actually really good pedals...they just use plastic cases and surface-mount components (which makes it hard to mod/re-house them).

But the circuits themselves are all solid...based on classics and proven designs.

Maybe this will encourage Danelectro to start using cases and switches that are a bit sturdier.

• Members

Originally posted by crazybilly

And how much do you think it costs Boss to make the same thing? If I was guessing (and I am), I'd guess the profit margin is a bit better on Boss pedals than you think it is (not to be confused w/ Behringer's guess of what their margin is--they know it, and are willing to undercut them on it).

Well I was basing it on how cheaply made the Vamps are...I got one that came with a corrupted chip and the service guy told me that they throw the whole kit and kaboodle out because it's cheaper to give me a whole new box and dice rather than replace a 5c chip.

I doubt anyone (including Boss) gets their products made cheaper than Behringer, and it's not like they spend much on R&D when designing them. They are what they are...very cheap knock offs. I wouldn't expect them to hold up under heavy foot action but I'll keep an open mind.

I'm sure Boss make their obligatory pound of flesh as well, just with a better quality level of construction as a starting point.

These will be great for entry level guiatrists who'll probably end up here selling their left kidney for a Moon Phaser.

• Members

A sale rep for Behringer was in my work a few months ago and I asked him how behringer makes their stuff so cheap. He said he asked the same question to Uri or whatever Mr.Behringer's name is and he said they buy larger quantities of parts then anyone. If Mackie or Boss or whoever are buying 5000 parts at a time behringer is buying 50000. He also said they pay for the parts up front in cash. Apparently that really brings the price of parts way down..

I think he left out the part about paying 5 cents a day to some poor chinese kids to make the crap.

Archived