What the....? (Behringer content)

TwoHeadedBoy

• Members
Originally posted by VicShat

if only the phaser were a ph-3 copy.
:(

PS100_medium.jpg

Yeah ... I suppose it is missing a mode or two ... but with a $24.99 MSRP, it will, no doubt be an even better buy than its inbred Arion cousin.:D

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Notice how all the Boss copies are renderings and not actual pedals?

Wonder what they'll actually look like, and whether the case will be metal or plastic.

I'm also suspicious about the delay, reverb, and multi-FX costing $30 like all the rest. I haven't yet seen a manufacturer that can make and sell those as cheaply as (say) a Super Distortion: even Dano charges more.

Behringer scares me more than anyone else in the business. They're the best at what they do, which is make functional, well-engineered copies of successful products and sell them for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of anyone else.

Although if we have to worry about them knocking off our product, that means we've been extremely successful, which is a nice problem to have. First priority: concentrate on getting to success :D

• Members
Originally posted by littlehornyfenderboy56

ha, the first two are Eh copies (big Muff and Small Stone) and the others are Boss copies. i wouldn't be suprised to see them get sued.

Nah, Line 6 mentions other products in their literature all the time. Their lawyers know just exactly how far they can go, trust me. :)

• Members
Originally posted by UnkleSlam

Nah, Line 6 mentions other products in their literature all the time. Their lawyers know just exactly how far they can go, trust me.
:)

true. i know i would be mad if i worked my butt off to design a pedal, and some other company takes it and makes it cheaper. but for buyers, it's a dream come true.

• Members

Good for the market? Good for us as consumers for the immediate future, yes. What I'm concerned about is innovation, though. Don't get me wrong... Boss isn't exactly the ZVex of the mass pedal market, but seriously, if these things get cheaper, Boss and EHX start losing money. Pretty soon they're losing money in R & D, and then you're stuck with Behringer having ripped off everyone it can and there's little mass market innovation. (Microsoft, anyone). Behringer has a knack for ripping innovators off and selling cheap because they have little R & D built into their products... sowhat happens if they actually need to start building their own? Will they still be cheap? Can they make new products as innovative as EHX? Don't get me wrong... I love the thought of saving money, but my guess is that most of you who love this idea are the same ones who bitch about Microsoft ripping off Apple. Or is this different because it's something YOU want? Will I check the pedals out? Definately. If one blows me away will I buy it? Yes. Does that make Behringer any less scummy? No.

• Members

Originally posted by cmloeffler

Good for the market? Good for us as consumers for the immediate future, yes. What I'm concerned about is innovation, though. Don't get me wrong... Boss isn't exactly the ZVex of the mass pedal market, but seriously, if these things get cheaper, Boss and EHX start losing money. Pretty soon they're losing money in R & D, and then you're stuck with Behringer having ripped off everyone it can and there's little mass market innovation. (Microsoft, anyone). Behringer has a knack for ripping innovators off and selling cheap because they have little R & D built into their products... sowhat happens if they actually need to start building their own? Will they still be cheap? Can they make new products as innovative as EHX? Don't get me wrong... I love the thought of saving money, but my guess is that most of you who love this idea are the same ones who bitch about Microsoft ripping off Apple. Or is this different because it's something YOU want? Will I check the pedals out? Definately. If one blows me away will I buy it? Yes. Does that make Behringer any less scummy? No.

With all due respect, this is totally insane.

Microsoft and Behringer are nothing alike. MS got rich by actually innovating, and then ruthlessly destroying the competition. They didn't undercut their competitors in price - what OS is more expensive than Windows? They bought up intellectual property left and right, excercised a monopoly and bullied an entire industry. Nothing like Behringer.

Immitation in the electronics world has been around as long as the Television. Boss and EHX will continue to do their thing, and Behringer (along with several others who have been around for a while, might I add (Johnson, that other company with the funny looking N as a logo both immediately come to mind) and everything will be fine.

The point is that no company can expect to innovate once and then sit back and get fat off of that one innovation. If Boss and Ehx truly are innovative (and that can be argued), then they will have to continue to be so. Anything else is suicide, regardless of what Behringer does.

Some would say that a company like Boss isn't so much innovative as they are known for a quality produc, and if Behringer is able to offer the same level of quality at a drastically lower price, then guess what? That's capitalism. Boss will need to get its {censored} together and figure out why it can't compete with Behringer's prices.

I suspect the quality of the Behringer product will be lower than Boss and/or Ehx, and that will differentiate them. Will Boss and Ehx lose market share? Maybe. If Behringer's stuff isn't absolute {censored}, then yeah. They probably will lose marketshare. But {censored}, would it matter if Behringer painted it's BD-2 clone green? DOD has been releasing pedals very similar to Boss for a while now. Most popular Boss pedals have a DOD equivalent, they just have a different appearance.

Anyways, the Microsoft analogy is totally meaningless in this case, and Behringer is no scummier than Sony, who got it's start immitating (and eventually improving) American electronic products. It's a perfectly viable business strategy. Let the other guy pay for the R&D, then take the product and immitate it, eventually improve it and then cut him out of the market. No scummier than drafting in a car or bicycle race. It's business.

• Members

Originally posted by cmloeffler

Boss isn't exactly the ZVex of the mass pedal market

actually, they are. they sell more mass produced pedals then anyone, and are the best sounds (besides EHX) you can get out of $50. and all the crap jcn said is true too.

• Members

Originally posted by littlehornyfenderboy56

actually, they are. they sell more mass produced pedals then anyone, and are the best sounds (besides EHX) you can get out of $50. and all the crap jcn said is true too.

I think he was talking about the innovation thing. ZVex is known for being very original and innovative, so he was saying Boss isn't exactly making pedals that blow peoples minds, they tend to be pretty vanilla plain compared to other things out there.

• Members
Originally posted by jcn37203

I think he was talking about the innovation thing. ZVex is known for being very original and innovative, so he was saying Boss isn't exactly making pedals that blow peoples minds, they tend to be pretty vanilla plain compared to other things out there.

i like vanilla. stawberry sucks. :D

• Members

With all due respect, this is totally insane.

Microsoft and Behringer are nothing alike. ...

Some would say that a company like Boss isn't so much innovative as they are known for a quality produc, and if Behringer is able to offer the same level of quality at a drastically lower price, then guess what? That's capitalism. Boss will need to get its {censored} together and figure out why it can't compete with Behringer's prices.

Well said. And I WOULD say that boss is just like you said. Here's the thing about innovation, boss isn't doing too much of it. Honestly, ZVex, Linn, and Line6 are the ones really innovating. Yamaha, and well, Behringer (vamp anyone?) are following it up pretty well.....

Ain't nothin' wrong w/ Behringer taking boss' products and selling them for what they're really worth...that's how you play the game...Sign me up for a couple of those pedals, btw--a sansamp clone for $40? I'll take it!

• Members

wait.....are these all digital modeling devices or are the distortions, overdrives, etc analog? If these are analog......for the love of God, somebody come up with a kickass Big Muff mod for their knockoff.

• Members

Originally posted by ejk

wait.....are these all digital modeling devices or are the distortions, overdrives, etc analog? If these are analog......for the love of God, somebody come up with a kickass Big Muff mod for their knockoff.

They dont technically exist yet. I mean, those pics are just computer renderings of what they will look like when they're released.

Can't quite mod them yet. But I'm sure there will be plenty of modding going on once they're out there.

At those prices, {censored}, I'd almost risk learning to mod in the dark.

• Members

They dont technically exist yet. I mean, those pics are just computer renderings of what they will look like when they're released.

Can't quite mod them yet. But I'm sure there will be plenty of modding going on once they're out there.

At those prices, {censored}, I'd almost risk learning to mod in the dark.

I want one just for the pure irony of it all. A $30 Big Muff ripoff that's been modded to sound like a vintage 70s Rams head or Tri-knob model......man, that's freakin' priceless:D. I can picture somebody like Indyguitarist comming up with some kind of mod service for them.

• Members

If these are anything like the new Digitech pedals everything is PCB mounted and all the components are SMD...have fun modding one of those. These are basically throw away technology-once the warranty is up they aren't cost effective to repair...just buy a new one:D
It's like all other cheaply manufactured electronic/electrical devices(tvs,vcr,dvd,toaster), you buy the cheapest and sooner or later you have to buy another, then another. You buy a well made, repairable pedal like a Zvex or a Keeley, even most Boss, it will last a lifetime with a little care.

Archived