BOSS GT-8 (or 6 or 5 or 3) USERS thread

dkitts2002

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have been interested in getting the Boss DD-20, Boss EQ-20, and the Digitech Whammy for awhile now. But I recently discovered the existance of the Boss GT-8 guitar pedal and was wondering if I could just get that instead of those 3 pedals and be happy.

So, I am askign the following:

What type of Whammy effects does the GT-8 have? What intervals? Is it liek the Digitech WHammy?

What type of EQ? How many bands?

What type of delays? How many seconds? Is it as good as the DD-20?

Basically, is it worth getting the GT-8 instead of getting the 3 pedals I mentioned? Keep in mind, I have a 5150, so i don't really need distortion, and I have a Boss ME-33 for standard effects like Phaser and Flanger.

Also, can the expression pedal be used to modify certian effect seetings while playing? For example, you can control phaser rate using the expression pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by ninjamonkey

I have been interested in getting the Boss DD-20, Boss EQ-20, and the Digitech Whammy for awhile now. But I recently discovered the existance of the Boss GT-8 guitar pedal and was wondering if I could just get that instead of those 3 pedals and be happy.

So, I am askign the following:

What type of Whammy effects does the GT-8 have? What intervals? Is it liek the Digitech WHammy?

What type of EQ? How many bands?

What type of delays? How many seconds? Is it as good as the DD-20?

Basically, is it worth getting the GT-8 instead of getting the 3 pedals I mentioned? Keep in mind, I have a 5150, so i don't really need distortion, and I have a Boss ME-33 for standard effects like Phaser and Flanger.

Also, can the expression pedal be used to modify certian effect seetings while playing? For example, you can control phaser rate using the expression pedal.

Get the manual from the roland web site for most of those answers. I would add that you will probably want to dump your me-33 as you will find the Gt-8 to supercedes that pedal in every way (except you may be used to working with the me-33). I used to own a me-33 (and a me-30 before it) and although easy to use, it is far more limited than the GT-8.

• Members

Originally posted by dkitts2002

Get the manual from the roland web site for most of those answers. I would add that you will probably want to dump your me-33 as you will find the Gt-8 to supercedes that pedal in every way (except you may be used to working with the me-33). I used to own a me-33 (and a me-30 before it) and although easy to use, it is far more limited than the GT-8.

I don't see the manual on the roland website.

• Members

I got a GT-3 and it's pretty cool. I built myself a true bypass box to get around it, nowadays I use it for delays and just modulations and whatnot. I use the amps in it to go direct when I'm doing scratchpad recording to computer.

I prefer to keep it outta the picture for general tones, it's really only my special effects unit and tuner.

And as others have said, the coolest thing is the ability to change parameters with the footpedal, I use that a LOT. I've got a pretty cool phase-pedal thing going, like a wah cept using the phaser, and some other wah-like uses for the humanizer. The actual wah-pedal in it sucks!

• Members

Does anyone else use outboard dirtboxes in the GT-8's loop? If so, what have been your experiences? More specifically, has the loop's buffer created any issues with certain pedals?

• Members

Have other GT-8 users found it necessary to apply seemingly undue force to get the expression pedal switch to function?

I actually had to put the entirety of my body weight to mine ... and, after I heard something snap inside the unit ( :eek: ), it seemed to start working fine.

• Members

I'm thinking of joining the brethren of GTs. Though a few XTs have been trying to subvert me. Probably get the GT-6, due to my wallet. Anyways I play all sorts of music so I like the versatility this may hold. But is it METAL? I play in a metal band right now so how are the distortions. Probably throw a tube screamer first.Also thinking of running it to straight to PA. Anybody do this? Also thinking of running it through tube mic preamo and then into SS PA. Anyways any and all opinions welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by ck3

Has anyone succesfully gotten Moog/Kraftwerk-type sounds with any of the GT-8's synths ... or a combination of the synths and other effects?

I managed to actually get something along these lines today with Wave Synth (square waveform)>Defretter>EQ ... now I just need to figure out how to trigger the "pop effect" in the spring reverb emulation more effectively ... has anyone devised a means by which to do this?

• Members
Originally posted by twizza

I'm thinking of joining the brethren of GTs. Though a few XTs have been trying to subvert me. Probably get the GT-6, due to my wallet. Anyways I play all sorts of music so I like the versatility this may hold. But is it METAL? I play in a metal band right now so how are the distortions. Probably throw a tube screamer first.Also thinking of running it to straight to PA. Anybody do this? Also thinking of running it through tube mic preamo and then into SS PA. Anyways any and all opinions welcome.

I haven't had much luck getting "my brand of brewtality" out of the GT-8's hi-gain amp sims thus far ... but I've been investing more time into incorporating outboard fuzzboxes ... so I'm probably not familiar enough with how to PAIR its hi-gain amp sims ... as you can use TWO at once with the GT-8. :eek::cool:

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I've been using my GT-8 since I bought it, hot off the press, back in April. Have nothing but praise for it, despite the stupid omission of PC/Mac editor software!

Having two preamps and a solo mode for each is awesome. I used to have to rely on one preamp and multiple levels of gain per patch, but now I can have four highly usable sounds so rarely need the OD/DS, excellent though they are!

I run mine in a variety of situations: direct to soundcard for home recording (IMO the GT-6 was awful for this, the GT-8 is very convincing when configured right) or to a variety of guitar amps at practice/gigs including recently a JCM900 and Laney TubeFusion stack. Surprisingly, I prefered the tone of the Laney there because the JCM900 was in disrepair, although the GT-8s AMP CONTROL function was handy for switching channels on the JCM.

I have 2 extra SUB CTL pedals, currently set globally to toggle MANUAL and TUNER modes. I have the onboard CTL globally set for tap tempo. I use about four or five patches, mostly for different preamps and the odd different effect, and my manual template is 1:Channel A/B, 2:Chorus, 3:FX1, 4:FX2, Bank Up: Delay and Bank Down: SOLO mode. Have found this way of running pretty flawless for 90% of situations.

Usually turn the noise gate off or down low and deal with the hum of my P90s cos I use the volume controls a lot. Having the tuner activate a mute is handy for between songs too.

I give this 9/10. Versatile as heck, good to great on the things it does (Whammy sim could stand to be improved to track chords better as could most of the pitch shifting stuff) and so much easier to set up for a variety of different situations and get good tone each time.

So much easier than breaking my back lugging a valve amp around too, although it can sound REALLY KICKING with a good valve power amp. Generally best with a powerful solid state guitar amp running into the effects return(s), or through a PA in stereo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by ck3

That sounds like it might be digital aliasing ... though I thought that the GT-3 preamp was supposed to be analog.
:confused:

I heard the distortions are anolog, i doubt that the preamps are though. What is digital aliasing? Can I fix this, or make it less apparent?

• Members

Originally posted by garyd

So much easier than breaking my back lugging a valve amp around too, ....

Ya know...the other day I was smiling to myself, as I road along on my motorcycle with my GT-8 in a backpack...thinking...."Try THIS with a combo amp" (BTW: I keep a second guitar where I play so all I have to do is move the GT-8 back and forth).

PS: I've said it before...I've used VG-8's and GT-6 and 8's and the best amp for these devices is a keyboard amp.

Archived