BOSS GT-8 (or 6 or 5 or 3) USERS thread

dkitts2002

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

I'm still in search of an analog-tinged, oscillating delay setting, but I am enjoying the GT-8 even more each time I experiment with a new feature.

I cycled through almost every amp model, stomp box sim, and most of the effects earlier this evening and ran most of my outboard pedals in the loop ... though there were many interesting combinations, I only managed to develop one complete preset and a couple of partial ideas ... even with my years of experience with multifx/modeling units, I can tell that it is going to be a while before I have a total understanding of how all of the GT-8's features interact.
:eek:

ACtually it's "simpler than it looks" :D
When I first got it it seemed a bit cumbersome to me too, but it was because I was used to the "old way" of doing things. This way is actually easier since it's all about knobs! and not about menus really. Just about everything has a dedicated button and knob! Just like stompboxes. But all those buttons and knobs just make it look confusing. IMO the things that are most confusing are just the plethora of settings you can have. They've crammed everytihing into this one.

B

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by BryanMichael

ACtually it's "simpler than it looks"
:D
When I first got it it seemed a bit cumbersome to me too, but it was because I was used to the "old way" of doing things. This way is actually easier since it's all about knobs! and not about menus really. Just about everything has a dedicated button and knob! Just like stompboxes. But all those buttons and knobs just make it look confusing. IMO the things that are most confusing are just the plethora of settings you can have. They've crammed everytihing into this one.

B

Though the interface is more user-friendly than most, I'm still anxiously awaiting official Boss editing software for the GT-8. I've noitced that a group of users has authored an application, but am a bit leary of trying it without some positive reports from others.

On a side note, what is the scoop regarding the GT-8 firmware upgrade? I read about it someplace, but haven't investigated the matter any further. Does it enhance the features of the unit in any way? Has it been installed on newer units already? Are there any inherent dangers invovled in the update process?

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

I've noitced that a group of users has authored an application, but am a bit leary of trying it without some positive reports from others.

On a side note, what is the scoop regarding the GT-8 firmware upgrade? I read about it someplace, but haven't investigated the matter any further. Does it enhance the features of the unit in any way? Has it been installed on newer units already? Are there any inherent dangers invovled in the update process?

Hey ya -

I am still having a bit of trouble getting the GT8Editor (the user built one) to work with my system - however, some other testers are having success. I believe my problems are due to MIDI latency.

On the firmware... you can take your GT8 to the place you got it and they are supposed to be able to update it to the new firmware. You can do it yourself, but a small handful of people have fried their units somehow. In most cases, following the help file resulted in a successful update.

I believe the firmware update did result in a few improvements sonically... but I have no way to prove it. Some people have hooked up sonic analyzers and stuff to see... but I just trust my ears. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by Kewlpack

On the firmware... you can take your GT8 to the place you got it and they are supposed to be able to update it to the new firmware. You can do it yourself, but a small handful of people have fried their units somehow. In most cases, following the help file resulted in a successful update.

I purchased mine online ... so I would have to assume responsibility for the update ... and any system failures that may ensue ... :( ... after having some pretty serious firmware upgrade issues with my former Digitech GNX2, I think I'll wait until Boss has streamlined the updating process a bit before pursuing any further. Besides, the current degree of functionality is satisfactory by my standards.:cool:

• Members

A little theory for you guys.

In order to replicate an analog signal you must sample at atleast twice the highest frequency. In a guitar's case 4-8kHz is the highest frequency meaning a sample rate of around 8-16kHz. Since it is a standard on all GT units that the sample rate is 44.1kHz, any who says that the unit kills their tone is just being plecibic.

Also a 21 bit representation DA as on the GT3 units gives a definition of around 2.1 million parts. The 24 bit representation DA on the GT8 gives a definition of around 16.7 million parts. So in theory it should have a bit more definition then a GT3 unit. But the difference to the human ear is very small.

Other then the obvious bit representation, are there any other major differences between the GT units?

• Members
Originally posted by Locky

A little theory for you guys.

In order to replicate an analog signal you must sample at atleast twice the highest frequency. In a guitar's case 4-8kHz is the highest frequency meaning a sample rate of around 8-16kHz. Since it is a standard on all GT units that the sample rate is 44.1kHz, any who says that the unit kills their tone is just being plecibic.

Also a 21 bit representation DA as on the GT3 units gives a definition of around 2.1 million parts. The 24 bit representation DA on the GT8 gives a definition of around 16.7 million parts. So in theory it should have a bit more definition then a GT3 unit. But the difference to the human ear is very small.

Other then the obvious bit representation, are there any other major differences between the GT units?

Dude you are WAY behind-
Dot-Dot-Dot covers the digital theory lesson every time some idiot jumps up and claims that analog BY IT'S VERY NATURE is somehow "superior" to digital representations of audio signals.

Anyway, yeah. There are quite a few differences between the GT units. I direct you to www.bossgtcentral.com to explore the differences.

B

• Members

I can't freakin' believe it ... I'm nearing the point of being able to succesfully emulate "Fuzz I" from the Boss FZ-2 Hyperfuzz with the GT-8's octave fuzz sim. :eek:

I just have to hone the pre/post eq structure a bit more. :)

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

I can't freakin' believe it ... I'm nearing the point of being able to succesfully emulate "Fuzz I" from the Boss FZ-2 Hyperfuzz with the GT-8's octave fuzz sim.
:eek:

I just have to hone the pre/post eq structure a bit more.
:)

yeah I use the boss COSM for my hyper fuzz sound.

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

Which COSM unit do you have?

I use a boss br1600 recorder for all the clips you have heard on HC. It has the COSM models from the boss gt6 unit.

I find the ME50 has {censored}ing awesome distortion for recording with a nice audio interface.

the muff, octave fuzz, and other distortions are top notch.

• Members
Originally posted by SteveR

I use a boss br1600 recorder for all the clips you have heard on HC. It has the COSM models from the boss gt6 unit.

I find the ME50 has {censored}ing awesome distortion for recording with a nice audio interface.

the muff, octave fuzz, and other distortions are top notch.

I like most of the OD, Distortion, and Octave Fuzz and Fuzzface sims on the GT-8, but found the Muff to be lacking a certain "something". I dunno ... maybe I just need to spend some more time tweaking it.:confused:

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

I like most of the OD, Distortion, and Octave Fuzz and Fuzzface sims on the GT-8, but found the Muff to be lacking a certain "something". I dunno ... maybe I just need to spend some more time tweaking it.
:confused:

maybe. The one thing I hate about the boss COSM is the eq. Its parametric rather than graphic. I had rather have like a 10 band graphic eq to tweak than 20 {censored}ing high freq, mid high freq. I dont understand that stuff.

• Members

maybe. The one thing I hate about the boss COSM is the eq. Its parametric rather than graphic. I had rather have like a 10 band graphic eq to tweak than 20 {censored}ing high freq, mid high freq. I dont understand that stuff.

Yeah ... sometimes the difference is so miniscule that I can't tell how certain EQ parameters affect my overall tone. However, I'm glad that Boss included a "clean/direct blend" setting with all of the stompbox sims on the GT-8. :cool:

• Members

Yee-uuhh ... I finally got the delays on my GT-8 to self-oscillate ... :cool: ... but now I have to deal with clipping ... :(

I am hoping that the most recent issue will be easily ameliorated by lowering the delays' effect level.

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

Yee-uuhh ... I finally got the delays on my GT-8 to self-oscillate ...
:cool:
... but now I have to deal with clipping ...
:(

I am hoping that the most recent issue will be easily ameliorated by lowering the delays' effect level.

you have it on the smooth setting?? maybe trying positioning the delay in a different spot on the effects chain.

also does the GT8 have an output selection?

ie (headphones, amp, poweramp...)

I used to use mine with the headphones setting and I found that I could tweak patches with headphones on and they would sound the same through an amp. With the other settings everything was too muddy to my ear.

• Members

you have it on the smooth setting??

I haven't noticed this feature on the GT-8 ... but I have the manual with me at work, so maybe I'll find out more when I have a chance to flip through it.

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

I haven't noticed this feature on the GT-8 ... but I have the manual with me at work, so maybe I'll find out more when I have a chance to flip through it.

the smooth setting should be there.

all the other gt models have it as well as the dd20.

it basically adds a little reverb to the delay and allows it to pitchshift and not do that weird clicking sound when turning the delay time.

• Members

the smooth setting should be there.

all the other gt models have it as well as the dd20.

it basically adds a little reverb to the delay and allows it to pitchshift and not do that weird clicking sound when turning the delay time.

I just combed the delay section of the manual and even thumbed through the index ... it would seem that this feature has been removed since the inception of the GT-8.

• Members

I discovered how tight the GT-8's noise gate can be last weekend and now feel like a putz for complaining about it. In the unlikely event that anyone else is experiencing similar issues to those I described in a few other threads, try lowering the noise gate's "release" parameter (the most obvious, yet well-hidden solution).

• Members

I haven't needed to use the tuner a great deal, but I have tinkered with the phaser a couple of times. There are multiple modes, and the parameters have broad ranges. Though the GT-8's phaser may not be able to sound quite as analog as an R28-modded Phase 90, I'm certain you could come close.

Archived