BOSS GT-8 (or 6 or 5 or 3) USERS thread

dkitts2002

• Members

Originally posted by Nik

Ran my GT-6 into a flat SS power amp and a pair of PA cabs for a couple of years. IMHO that's the only way to use it. F***ing awesome!

Thanks. I was pretty sure this would work well. What I was more curious about though was how it would do with a flat SS power amp into a guitar cab (specifically an Avatar 2x12 with Eminence V12's, in my case)? Did you ever try it through a guitar cab?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Dirt

Thanks. I was pretty sure this would work well. What I was more curious about though was how it would do with a flat SS power amp into a
guitar cab
(specifically an Avatar 2x12 with Eminence V12's, in my case)? Did you ever try it through a guitar cab?

Not with a flat power amp. Only through the power amp and speaker of a 100watt Marshall 1x12 combo - excellent, but not as versatile as the PA speakers.

• Members

Originally posted by dkitts2002

Actually, yes, or at least I'd LIKE more than that. I guess I'd like to assign external ctrl pedals globally for tap, a/b channel, solo, delay on/off and have the CTRL Switch onboard the GT-8 be assignable per patch as well as the have the on board expression pedal be assignable per patch. That would give me plently of lattitude to react to whatever the band needs are in live situations. It looks more or less impossible as I read the manual.

Well, the CTRL switch and Expression pedal and the pedal switch can be assigned on a patch by patch basis, as can the external CTRL switches.

Check up in the manual on what can be done in Manual mode.

• Members

Actually, yes, or at least I'd LIKE more than that. I guess I'd like to assign external ctrl pedals globally for tap, a/b channel, solo, delay on/off and have the CTRL Switch onboard the GT-8 be assignable per patch as well as the have the on board expression pedal be assignable per patch. That would give me plently of lattitude to react to whatever the band needs are in live situations. It looks more or less impossible as I read the manual.

1. you can assign one of the external switches for TAP (Globally- which is what they would call global BPM)- then all of your modulation effects that are set to reference the Global BPM will be in sync with that. Of course you can set them NOT to reference the Global BPM.

2. You can change channels A/B with your volume knob! That is deal with the paralell processing. Set the threshold and move into one or the other. Of course I guess that MAY be a little different on your tone- but if you put an external volume pedal in FRONT of the GT 8 you would basically roll from one to the other by foot OR better yet you can assign the internal expression pedal to A/b the channels all the up is one all the way down is the other. Smooth blending too.

That leaves you with using the second external footswitch to turn the delay on/off

and the control pedal to either assign to a parameter, engage the solo or something else- So you can get 75% of it, but not everything at once. For that you may need MIDI.

B

• Members

I got the following patch to work for stereo (piezo equipped) electric guitars:

Plug the piezo output to the return on the GT-8 loop, the magnetic pickup output to the regular guitar in.
Put the following chain in effect: Loop, ac processor, amp, eq
Set amp to JC Clean Wide Range.
Set Loop type to normal
Turn off the compression and noise suppression to start off with (the noise supression wreaks havoc on this patch).
Add effects (chorus, reverb, delay) or not....to taste.

Now, on that patch you should have an acoustic guitar sound, using your piezo pickups. Hit the next patch and it switches to the mag pickups. This works well when using an keyboard amp or going direct to the board. It will not work with the four cable method.

• Members

Does anyone have experience attaching a GT-8/6 to a midi controller board? Is it worth the effort and expense? All I really would like is another expression pedal and maybe 3 or 4 ctl pedals.

I used to run an additional expression pedal in the corresponding input at the rear of my GT5 to control volume when the onboard pedal was used for wha or anything else.

Eventually I prefered to have an additional (stereo) expression pedal after the main output of the GT5 instead.

I may have bad ears but I thought the other configuration made for some glitches and steps in the controls.

I have never tried a midi control.

• Members

Originally posted by JMS 2

I used to run an additional expression pedal in the corresponding input at the rear of my GT5 to control volume when the onboard pedal was used for wha or anything else.

Eventually I prefered to have an additional (stereo) expression pedal after the main output of the GT5 instead.

I may have bad ears but I thought the other configuration made for some glitches and steps in the controls.

I have never tried a midi control.

That is a thought...free up the volume work the expression pedal does by adding an external volume pedal hmmmmmmm ... I'll have to hit eBay to see if there are any stereo volume pedals out there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Anyone out there develop a patch for plugging a bass guitar into the GT-8? I had one on my GT-6 that was OK, but was wondering what anyone else has done.

(Yes, I know there is a GT-6B and there will probably someday be a GT-8B, but I don't want to spend money for the little I play bass)

• Members

the gt-8 is fantastic - I'm using it with a tonelab as a midi slave. the gt-8 is mostly for effects, although some of the amps are great when you set it up with "tone modify." the internal wave pedal is very fun. I never had a gt-5, but I've already programmed it to make a reverse divebomb when a patch is changed, and also I've set it up so i can do each patch change with a fade in - it can be very expressive.

K

electric guitar music vol. 1

• Members

Originally posted by Dirt

Have any of you Boss GT guys ever tried running the Boss through a flat response SS power amp into a guitar cab?

Just curious...I think it would be cool to ditch my pedals and amp and just be able to run something like this. It would be a nice clean setup with an endless array of tones.

While I wouldn't get rid of my MESA F-50 combo I have thought of this many times myself. Looks like it makes more sense to have a great stereo amp with a flat response and some great monitor or PA speakers.

Thoughts?....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by ck3

I should be joining the "GT Club" sometime early next week ... and may even be able to do a shootout with my Tonelab SE before it is sold.
:)

looking forward to those clips.

I don't think you'll find every single thing in there useful, but I've been amazed by the GT-8 every time I've played it. It does the mutron, it does the robotalk, the seek wah, the bi-phase, the slow gear, etc. There are so many great effects in here it would be well worth it even if you didn't use any of the dirt pedals or amp models.

• Members

Does anyone know if the GT-8 is vastly superior to my old GT-3. Does it have a higher bit rate.

On my GT-3 if I put on too many effects at once or have complitcated patches involing the harmonizer. I get a gap of silence when I switch patches, and sometimes some latency while playing. Is this problem resolved on the GT-8?

• Members

Does anyone know if the GT-8 is vastly superior to my old GT-3. Does it have a higher bit rate.

On my GT-3 if I put on too many effects at once or have complitcated patches involing the harmonizer. I get a gap of silence when I switch patches, and sometimes some latency while playing the whammy effect and othe harmonizer effects. Is this problem resolved on the GT-8?

• Members

Originally posted by mommama

the gt-8 is fantastic - I'm using it with a tonelab as a midi slave. the gt-8 is mostly for effects, although some of the amps are great when you set it up with "tone modify." the internal wave pedal is very fun. I never had a gt-5, but I've already programmed it to make a reverse divebomb when a patch is changed, and also I've set it up so i can do each patch change with a fade in - it can be very expressive.

K

I'd be interested if you spell out how you made patch changes fade-in.

• Members
Originally posted by orourke

On my GT-3 if I put on too many effects at once or have complitcated patches involing the harmonizer. I get a gap of silence when I switch patches, and sometimes some latency while playing. Is this problem resolved on the GT-8?

For those kinds of questions visit the www.bossgtcentral.com GT-8 forum. There are many folks there who have used or did use a previous model and can speak directly to your questions.

I love mine! The dual amp feature can give you some huge stereo tones.

• Members

Originally posted by jeverist

looking forward to those clips.

I don't think you'll find every single thing in there useful, but I've been amazed by the GT-8 every time I've played it. It does the mutron, it does the robotalk, the seek wah, the bi-phase, the slow gear, etc. There are so many great effects in here it would be well worth it even if you didn't use any of the dirt pedals or amp models.

I'm guessing that I'll mainly be using the clean amp models and incorporating outboard fuzzes for dirt ... but may delve into the hi gain amp sims a bit when recording clips.

What parameters can be assigned to the momentary control switch on the GT-8?

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

I can't get the delays on the GT-8 to self oscillate ... does anyone know of any settings that will allow for this to happen?

Have you tried the dual-delay in series...that was how I got it to oscillate. Turn feedback and level way up on the first one, then start adding feedback and level on the second one and you should be able to get it to oscillate forever.

• Members

I'm still in search of an analog-tinged, oscillating delay setting, but I am enjoying the GT-8 even more each time I experiment with a new feature.

I cycled through almost every amp model, stomp box sim, and most of the effects earlier this evening and ran most of my outboard pedals in the loop ... though there were many interesting combinations, I only managed to develop one complete preset and a couple of partial ideas ... even with my years of experience with multifx/modeling units, I can tell that it is going to be a while before I have a total understanding of how all of the GT-8's features interact. :eek:

Archived