BOSS GT-8 (or 6 or 5 or 3) USERS thread

dkitts2002

• Members

Originally posted by BryanMichael

Hi Guys=

Speeddemon- Glad you clarified that. I was only speaking from my personal experience in dealing with what SOME people have described- also it may be more noticable at different settings or with different amp models (e.g. very High Gain models, hot pickups, etc..) I know there can be REAL digital artifacts, I'm just saying that alot of what I've heard people describe can be attributed to those two things in many cases.
[/url]

I heard it might have had to do with anti-aliasing, but the GT-3's converters were only 20 bit.

But 2 reviews on HC do mention the same problem with the GT-8 though. It was indeed with high gain stuff (but hey, I played in a death/thrash band back then, so high gain was the only gain... :D ), and after that I tried some other modellers that hadn't that problem. I liked the Digitech RP20, but it was way too big. I had bought a toolcase, specifically to carry around the GT-3, but it was like a $30 case! Way expensive for it, but the only thing in which the GT-3 fitted.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by euclid

Just received mine today!

I am going to be spending some quality time with the manual this weekend.

P2160115.jpg

Definitely take the time to do the manual. I'm digging the crap outta playing with mine, but I tend to do things the hard way and am already playing out with it. I need some quality time too! I got too dependant on GT Manager with my GT-6 and am making sure I can program all the nooks and crannies on the GT-8 on the board itself. I do look forward to getting a release of GT Manager that handles the 8, though.

• Members

Well let me tell you a few things about most of the reviews on HC.

First of all, if the people in this forum (which is the FX forum no less!) are any indication- most people don't read the manual and have no idea how anything more complicated than a Phase90 works.

Secondly, Compressors tend to give people fits- they can't figure it out because they don't really understand what a compressor is doing- and I'm talking using a PEDAL here, leave alone a compressor with more parameters in a digital FX processor!

Third, it all depends on what sound you are going for and your age/experience with other gear as to how you are going to react.

Also remember that subtely is the word. A hint of spring reverb on an amp model brings it to life, too much sounds like an overprocessed mess. A hint of echo/delay with the top rolled off sounds like a studio recording of a great amp with a nice delay. Too much delay with too much high end sounds like a cheesy digital processor (i.e. overprocessed mess) Try using thegain and EQ's on the amp models or change the speaker model/mic placement before adding a distortion pedal and cranking up IT's EQ and gain or adding an EQ outside of the amp and using it. Or adding more bottom on the chorus effect. Each one of these effects has sooooo many parameters, start with a good BASIC sound and adjust the effects to it, not the other way around.

B

I completely agree with you here, I think some people get a new peice of gear out of the box, plug in and play one chord then run to the computer to do a review. I've been over-enthusiastic about certain things I've bought in the past and if I had written a review of them in the first week, I would have had to take it back.

I also think that there is too much use of the '10' rating on HC reviews. I've never had a ''10'' peice of gear, I've had what I condsider to be a 9 but that's the guitar I have that I'll take to my grave. A 10 would be absolute perfect and I think that could only be possible if the item was made to the individuals personal specs.

All I'm saying here is I think reviewers need to be more subjective and indepth and give the item a bit more time before they do a review. With that said, seeing the more negative reviews of the gt-8 worry me a bit. The reason being is because they basically sound like they know what they're talking about in their descriptions from past experience with the gt line. However, just because they don't like it doesn't mean I won't but it gives a rough idea of the units faults.

I really like a lot of the new and inovative features this thing has, I also generally like boss effects sound character and quality. I'm getting my rack together and the last item I need is an effects processor. The basic criteria is to not only deliver the type of effect sounds I'm after but do things like allow the use of other amps/preamps, switch channels on those amps, support use with a computer for setup and backup of patches, etc. This thing does all that and more and that's why I'm stoked about it.

I'm planning on using my rockmaster with the gt pro so as long as the effects and overall sound is good, I won't be solely relying on its cosm preamp. However, I watched the 19mb video for the gt-8 and I was actually impressed quite a bit so if I find use for just 1/4 of the channels this thing has, I'll be thrilled. Another possibility that's been brought to my attention is one can use an outboard preamp for one channel and parallel it with an onboard cosm channel. That might make for some really interesting sounds and possibilities.

I do understand the whole high note bend=FM radio modulation effect, my old zoom 3030 does that but only with certain sound setups(mainly scooped metal type stuff). I'd agree it's in the eq and compressor but if I want that sound, I have to deal with the extra sound effects. I use it for mod and reverb effects mostly so it doesn't really matter.

I can't wait to see more reviews later on to see what people really think of this thing. I also can't wait til the gt pro is out and start hearing feedback about it. I luckily have a boss dealer close by and when they get it, I'm going to try it asap. The bad part is that if I like it, I'm going to have to either sell or trade my triaxis for it cause I'm out of gear money.

Thanks for your insight,

• Members

Originally posted by BlueFusion

I completely agree with you here, I think some people get a new peice of gear out of the box, plug in and play one chord then run to the computer to do a review. I've been over-enthusiastic about certain things I've bought in the past and if I had written a review of them in the first week, I would have had to take it back.

I also think that there is too much use of the '10' rating on HC reviews. I've never had a ''10'' peice of gear, I've had what I condsider to be a 9 but that's the guitar I have that I'll take to my grave. A 10 would be absolute perfect and I think that could only be possible if the item was made to the individuals personal specs.

All I'm saying here is I think reviewers need to be more subjective and indepth and give the item a bit more time before they do a review. With that said, seeing the more negative reviews of the gt-8 worry me a bit. The reason being is because they basically sound like they know what they're talking about in their descriptions from past experience with the gt line. However, just because they don't like it doesn't mean I won't but it gives a rough idea of the units faults.

I really like a lot of the new and inovative features this thing has, I also generally like boss effects sound character and quality. I'm getting my rack together and the last item I need is an effects processor. The basic criteria is to not only deliver the type of effect sounds I'm after but do things like allow the use of other amps/preamps, switch channels on those amps, support use with a computer for setup and backup of patches, etc. This thing does all that and more and that's why I'm stoked about it.

I'm planning on using my rockmaster with the gt pro so as long as the effects and overall sound is good, I won't be solely relying on its cosm preamp. However, I watched the 19mb video for the gt-8 and I was actually impressed quite a bit so if I find use for just 1/4 of the channels this thing has, I'll be thrilled. Another possibility that's been brought to my attention is one can use an outboard preamp for one channel and parallel it with an onboard cosm channel. That might make for some really interesting sounds and possibilities.

I do understand the whole high note bend=FM radio modulation effect, my old zoom 3030 does that but only with certain sound setups(mainly scooped metal type stuff). I'd agree it's in the eq and compressor but if I want that sound, I have to deal with the extra sound effects. I use it for mod and reverb effects mostly so it doesn't really matter.

I can't wait to see more reviews later on to see what people really think of this thing. I also can't wait til the gt pro is out and start hearing feedback about it. I luckily have a boss dealer close by and when they get it, I'm going to try it asap. The bad part is that if I like it, I'm going to have to either sell or trade my triaxis for it cause I'm out of gear money.

Thanks for your insight,

Well now that was a well thought out response..

:)

But I see you are using the Rockmaster- thus I cannot further help you.:(

I had one.

Actually, it seems to me that most people that are disappointed by this stuff are really hi-gain users that are trying desperately to get the sound of boiling rectos and 7 string guitars.

I have tons of experience, but I'm more into traditional lo-gain tones.

Hope it was helpful- and as always, trust your ears! But understand that it is your subjective take on something. A "valid" criticism is "the distortion had too much high end for my tastes no matter how much I played with the EQ"

a "non valid" criticism is "The distortion fu@cking sucks donkey balls- my recto on 12 kicks the {censored} out of it. This processor sounds nothing like Metallica"

at least

IMO

:p

• Members

But I see you are using the Rockmaster- thus I cannot further help you.:(

I had one.>>

Thank you, but I don't quite understand your dislike for the rockmaster, personal taste? I actually prefer it over the tri for lead stuff, it's quieter, less flubby, and doesn't cost so damn much(big reason). I do like the clean better on the tri but I've been on the bad side of po' since I bought it. I grew up with a peavey amp so maybe I'm a bit biased towards their tone. If I was rich, sure I'd try lots of other preamps but this will do for now.

Hope it was helpful- and as always, trust your ears! But understand that it is your subjective take on something. A "valid" criticism is "the distortion had too much high end for my tastes no matter how much I played with the EQ"

a "non valid" criticism is "The distortion fu@cking sucks donkey balls- my recto on 12 kicks the {censored} out of it. This processor sounds nothing like Metallica">>

I've been into guitar for nearly 14 years now and I've come to like alot of different types of tones. I don't care much for the nu-metal recto tone at all. I favor stuff like the mesa mark series sounds used on older metal albums, SRV type tones(los lonely boys' tone is also a good example), prestine cleans on an electric, acoustic and even resonator guitars catch my ear.

You can definatly see the maturity difference in the two review examples you posted above. As always though, I'll continue to get an 'idea' about a unit from reviews but I'll decied for myself if I like it when it's in front of me.

Thanks again,

• Members

But I see you are using the Rockmaster- thus I cannot further help you.
:(

I had one.>>

Thank you, but I don't quite understand your dislike for the rockmaster, personal taste? I actually prefer it over the tri for lead stuff, it's quieter, less flubby, and doesn't cost so damn much(big reason). I do like the clean better on the tri but I've been on the bad side of po' since I bought it. I grew up with a peavey amp so maybe I'm a bit biased towards their tone. If I was rich, sure I'd try lots of other preamps but this will do for now.

a "non valid" criticism is "The distortion fu@cking sucks donkey balls- my recto on 12 kicks the {censored} out of it. This processor sounds nothing like Metallica">>

I've been into guitar for nearly 14 years now and I've come to like alot of different types of tones. I don't care much for the nu-metal recto tone at all. I favor stuff like the mesa mark series sounds used on older metal albums, SRV type tones(los lonely boys' tone is also a good example), prestine cleans on an electric, acoustic and even resonator guitars catch my ear.

You can definatly see the maturity difference in the two review examples you posted above. As always though, I'll continue to get an 'idea' about a unit from reviews but I'll decied for myself if I like it when it's in front of me.

Thanks again,

Yeah man I was just kiddin' ya a bit.

I didn;t really like the Rockmaster because I couldn;t get a really LOW gain "breakup" tone out of it. It sounded fine at higher settings, kinda Marshally but less "boxy"

B

• Members

Yeah man I was just kiddin' ya a bit.

I didn;t really like the Rockmaster because I couldn;t get a really LOW gain "breakup" tone out of it. It sounded fine at higher settings, kinda Marshally but less "boxy"

B

That's cool, to each his own. To be honest, the ultra gain channel is all that really impresses me about it. I just got a rocktron pro Q and that thing helped beyond words. The eq in the rockmaster is kinda lacking on the distortion channels, this pro Q thing makes up for it.

The crunch channel is ok but the clean channel is missing headroom and tightness IMO that is. This is why I hope the gt pro will fill in these area's:D

If you want marshally type sound, try an ada mp1 with the three tube mod, that thing makes very very convincing old van halen and randy rhoads tones even over the computer's speakers. Now I can't say if it can do the ''breakup'' tone your after but it does have the marshall sound. I plan to get one and if it does, I'll let ya know.

• Members

Although they are interesting to read, I tend to not get excited about the reviews. I read them, just to find out if there is a bad trend about a device, or if a majority of people hate this or love that. It is a good basis for deriving some crude statistics from a population of people, but H-C evals are almost always, not to be insulting, written by amateurs who have distinct personal loyalties or disloyalties and like to vent them.

Shoot, even evals written by professional journalists in mags like Guitar Player have to be read skeptically.

• Members

Originally posted by dkitts2002

Although they are interesting to read, I tend to not get excited about the reviews. I read them, just to find out if there is a bad trend about a device, or if a majority of people hate this or love that. It is a good basis for deriving some crude statistics from a population of people, but H-C evals are almost always, not to be insulting, written by amateurs who have distinct personal loyalties or disloyalties and like to vent them.

Shoot, even evals written by professional journalists in mags like Guitar Player have to be read skeptically.

Oh no doubt there, alot of them really must be taken with a ''grain of salt'' so to speak. Still, I enjoy reading them even if I sometimes find them more amusing than helpful in the decision department. It's a good resourse to have none the less.

• Members

That's cool, to each his own. To be honest, the ultra gain channel is all that really impresses me about it. I just got a rocktron pro Q and that thing helped beyond words. The eq in the rockmaster is kinda lacking on the distortion channels, this pro Q thing makes up for it.

The crunch channel is ok but the clean channel is missing headroom and tightness IMO that is. This is why I hope the gt pro will fill in these area's:D

If you want marshally type sound, try an ada mp1 with the three tube mod, that thing makes very very convincing old van halen and randy rhoads tones even over the computer's speakers. Now I can't say if it can do the ''breakup'' tone your after but it does have the marshall sound. I plan to get one and if it does, I'll let ya know.

I actually have an ADA MP1 sitting right here! (un-modded of course) that belongs to my brother. It has the manuals and the MIDI footcontroller! and a STEREO ADA power amp. That thing sounds GREAT! really! very nice unit.

:D :D :D

Of course, I'm going to be selling it for him on Ebay since I have a thriving used gear business there.

(sojourner-music-traders)

and I will be offering some other tasty treats soon...

B

• Members

No one has mentioned the Digitech GNX4 WorkStation. It sure seems to have lots of bells and whistles and is a pricey $499.

I love the way most of these sound thru headphones or direct recording, but have yet to find the best way to make it sound the same live. Any ideas on the best live application?

• Members

I was expecting a pretty big price drop on GT-6's but I just sold mine on eBay for a Buy It Now price of $300. I've seen them going cheaper, but usually the sellers have a low number of feedbacks or a negative or two.

I will say that 4 months ago, you saw maybe 4 or 5 GT-6s on eBay at most...now there are around 20. I think I could have gotten an easy $320 then. So like all things, the GT-6s will start a slow downward spiral in value for a year and then maybe they'll pick up again when used ones become more scarce.

• Members

I wonder if there is a valid argument that would make me want to upgrade from my GT5 to a GT8 ...

The GT5 fits my daily needs to about 90%

and I think at one point you have to stop tweaking/learning/reading manuals and make some music for a change ...

That's my third GT5 btw. I've played the two others til their PCB's

came through the housing ...

• Members

Originally posted by guitarplayer

No one has mentioned the Digitech GNX4 WorkStation. It sure seems to have lots of bells and whistles and is a pricey $499.

I had a GNX4 for a few months and ended up returning it. It had a cool drum machine and recorder feature.

It wasn't a bad unit at all. It had its pros and cons. I think the GT-8 has higher quality modeling and features though (it is a next generation product).

Play these things at a store for yourself for a half hour or so - use your ears! You'll find what works best for your goals. Then get out there and ROCK! :)

~A~

• Members

Now- on to some personal observations about Roland/Boss gear that I've amassed over the past 20 years...

1. ALL of the Presets SUCK in one way or another because they aren't accurate- What do I mean? Well ALL of the presets have the COMPRESSOR and NOISE GATES engaged and almost all of them are SOAKED in Chorus, delay, and reverb with Long decays.

They also all have way too much high end EQ to give them a crisp sound when demoing them in a noisy ass music store.

B

My GT-8 arrived last night and as I was playing around with it, I was reminded of your post. You are absolutely, 100% correct with the above statement. Every single preset (save for 1 which I cannot remember the name) is completely drenched in chorus + delay!! Your theory about high end eq-ing makes a TON of sense. If you played the GT-8 in a crowded music store you'd think the presets were Godlike. Once you get it home and out of the box, you start noticing how painful most of these patches become at louder volumes.

+1 for good observations!

• Members

I actually have an ADA MP1 sitting right here! (un-modded of course) that belongs to my brother. It has the manuals and the MIDI footcontroller! and a STEREO ADA power amp. That thing sounds GREAT! really! very nice unit.

:D

Of course, I'm going to be selling it for him on Ebay since I have a thriving used gear business there.

(sojourner-music-traders)

and I will be offering some other tasty treats soon...

B

I'm planning on selling a few items myself as soon as I can get time to set it all up. I should be kicked for doing so but I'm probably going to be offering up my triaxis soon. It was an expensive buy and it's in like new condition, but I don't have the extra money to get the rest of the stuff that'll make it great. I've also got a pepto bismol pink charvel fusion guitar body, needs a neck and a bridge but has a set of duncan pickups and all other electronics installed. I've got a new real original floyd rose that I modded the barrel screws on to fit this guitars route cavity. I would finish the guitar but I don't really have the time.

• Members

I've played with the Digitech GNX4, the Vox Tonelab desktop, the PODxt desktop, and my new BOSS GT-8. I have to say that the presets had a similar vibe on all of the units.

As for the GT-8, I'm finding it hard to tweak. There's so many parameters to adjust that I bet the sounds I'm after can be found, but it would nice if I could just use the preamp models by themselves to get the sounds of the preamps they model.

• Members

For tweaking, check out the threads at www.bossgtcentral.com. The gang there are pretty helpful and have lots of experience with the GT line.

For starters, you have the right idea - strip everything down and begin with a good foundational preamp tone. The basics are pretty easy (remember to read the manual)...and I only go into deep edit mode if I 'really' have to at this point (still new to the unit).

See ya over there if you come by.

~A~

• Members

Originally posted by dkitts2002

Does anyone have experience attaching a GT-8/6 to a midi controller board? Is it worth the effort and expense? All I really would like is another expression pedal and maybe 3 or 4 ctl pedals.

Well, you can plug in an extra expression pedal to the GT-8 OR you can plug in up to TWO external switches (Either one will work in the stereo plug) AND the pedalboard part has a pedal labeled CTL (Control) that can be assigned to various parameters.

So technically on each patch you can have:

the control pedal, the Expression pedal, and two more external switches

OR

The Control pedal and two expression pedals (one ext. one on the board) DO you need more control than that?

You can also have the function of these things set by PATCH- so if you change patches they control different things.

I'm not sure MIDI would be worth it in this case IMO, but it depends on your needs. Using MIDI would be a great way to use the GT with other MIDI capapble processors so you can change patches simultaneously on both units, etc..

Or to sync the modulation FX with a drum machine or external sequencer etc..

• Members

Originally posted by Dirt

Have any of you Boss GT guys ever tried running the Boss through a flat response SS power amp into a guitar cab?

Just curious...I think it would be cool to ditch my pedals and amp and just be able to run something like this. It would be a nice clean setup with an endless array of tones.

Ran my GT-6 into a flat SS power amp and a pair of PA cabs for a couple of years. IMHO that's the only way to use it. F***ing awesome!

• Members

Well, you can plug in an extra expression pedal to the GT-8 OR you can plug in up to TWO external switches (Either one will work in the stereo plug) AND the pedalboard part has a pedal labeled CTL (Control) that can be assigned to various parameters.

So technically on each patch you can have:

the control pedal, the Expression pedal, and two more external switches

OR

The Control pedal and two expression pedals (one ext. one on the board) DO you need more control than that?

Actually, yes, or at least I'd LIKE more than that. I guess I'd like to assign external ctrl pedals globally for tap, a/b channel, solo, delay on/off and have the CTRL Switch onboard the GT-8 be assignable per patch as well as the have the on board expression pedal be assignable per patch. That would give me plently of lattitude to react to whatever the band needs are in live situations. It looks more or less impossible as I read the manual.

Archived