what keeps you playing?

sdre

• Members

just a friendly question to one and all.

what keeps you guys playing? be it in a band or solo? more cool pedals? different guitars that fits different moods?

i'm feeling tad burn out right now in my band.

and it doesn't help when i watch the video of our last gig, and felt pretty bad about the bad sounds and all.

just wondering.

• Members

I've been doing it since before I can remember so it's just part of me. All of the pictures of me when I was 3 and 4 I was on a piano or had a toy piano or mini guitar or something. I've been obsessed since day 1. So it's hard to put into words exactly why I continue to do it or do it in the first place. I never picked up or took up guitar. It's just something I always wanted to do. I remember learning my first two chords of the guitar when I was 5. Played it until my fingers were blistered and bleeding and got scolded by my parents. :( I used to go up everyday at show and tell in kindegarten and tell them I learned a new song on the piano and I'd get up there and just make up {censored} because I was just looking for an excuse to play the piano.

I suck at pretty much every endeavor except music. And I suck at it sometimes. I suck at golf, I don't know {censored} about sports, I can't fix anything, suck at working with my hands. I'm a piss poor student, I have basically zero retention ability. I'm not motivated, I'm not goal oriented. I suck at personal finances. But people are like "yeah man bob can sing and play the guitar pretty good"

• Members
Originally posted by Thelonius

I've been doing it since before I can remember so it's just part of me. All of the pictures of me when I was 3 and 4 I was on a piano or had a toy piano or mini guitar or something. I've been obsessed since day 1. So it's hard to put into words exactly why I continue to do it or do it in the first place. I never picked up or took up guitar. It's just something I always wanted to do. I remember learning my first two chords of the guitar when I was 5. Played it until my fingers were blistered and bleeding and got scolded by my parents.
:(
I used to go up everyday at show and tell in kindegarten and tell them I learned a new song on the piano and I'd get up there and just make up {censored} because I was just looking for an excuse to play the piano.

I suck at pretty much every endeavor except music. And I suck at it sometimes. I suck at golf, I don't know {censored} about sports, I can't fix anything, suck at working with my hands. I'm a piss poor student, I have basically zero retention ability. I'm not motivated, I'm not goal oriented. I suck at personal finances. But people are like "yeah man bob can sing and play the guitar pretty good"

hmn. thats pretty encouraging. i never thought i would play in a band even. and here we are in the local papers, making headlines and all. i didn't post an OT topic about my band playing at this waterfront area, where last saturday we played before 500+ people.

they loved our stuff, but i just don't know where to go from now onwards. for me, my personal goal with my band is just to play and have fun. the selling out of our cds, groupies, newspapers and all are just bonus. i wish we just played and have fun.

now it seems to be changing abit. i'm stressed to write new and better songs, songs that are different.. and i asked my bandmates if we could add stuff or do something different.. instead of the usual signature "loud/soft/loud"

bah. like all these "rising band tag lines" are getting to me, like raising the bar and standard.

or am i being too hard on everyone and myself?

• Members

Well, I keep playing because its addictive. To me theres nothing better than being able to create music that I like. Every so often I think '{censored} me, I've gotten a bit better at this', and that encourages me even more.........so its a neverending circle.

• Members

Originally posted by Headlow

Well, I keep playing because its addictive. To me theres nothing better than being able to create music that I like. Every so often I think '{censored} me, I've gotten a bit better at this', and that encourages me even more.........so its a neverending circle.

do you play the same "chord progressions" or scales or riffs/licks? i find myself doing that at times... though when i'm move away from "areas" to other greener pastures like i used to enjoy doing hammer ons, via major scales... and now i'm doing more open string voicings...

but i feel maybe i need to get more exposure to sounds... or detuning...

meh. then again i'm lazy to tune haha.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

Lol, that pretty much describes me too! But don't you notice that being a musician involves being goal-oriented and highly motivated? It's like owning your own business. That's what really annoying me, I can be good at what I do and stuff, but without the businesslike approach to music, you're not going anywhere .....

*sigh*

• Members
Originally posted by IndofunkCity

Lol, that pretty much describes me too! But don't you notice that being a musician involves being goal-oriented and highly motivated? It's like owning your own business. That's what really annoying me, I can be good at what I do and stuff, but without the businesslike approach to music, you're not going anywhere .....

*sigh*

meh, imho, i think setting goals and all makes it all the more stressful to play?

i'm a bad worker under stress :(

• Members

poor selfdefense not going mad in my head...

have a pretty stress job, not motivating discourageing aso, but it brings in the money

playing guitar helps to turn off all things that sucks, and do what i really like, being in a band with people i like, which are friends and all the same philosophy "we do it for fun, the rest may come or not, but thats not what it is for"...

the job brings in the money and guitar playing is my life.

edit: and being creative was always part of my life and i need to do it every day, and the guitar is the easiest way doing it

• Members

Originally posted by sdre

do you play the same "chord progressions" or scales or riffs/licks? i find myself doing that at times... though when i'm move away from "areas" to other greener pastures like i used to enjoy doing hammer ons, via major scales... and now i'm doing more open string voicings...

but i feel maybe i need to get more exposure to sounds... or detuning...

meh. then again i'm lazy to tune haha.

I do find that I play things over and over a lot. I've got about 5 or 6 'tunes' that I've been working on for about a year, and the first thing I do when I pick up a guitar is to have a quick run through of those songs. But I wouldn't say I'm bored of them, because the more I play them , the better they get.

• Members

Originally posted by Headlow

I do find that I play things over and over a lot. I've got about 5 or 6 'tunes' that I've been working on for about a year, and the first thing I do when I pick up a guitar is to have a quick run through of those songs. But I wouldn't say I'm bored of them, because the more I play them , the better they get.

well at least ya improving it. i'm just stuck there and bah. maybe i need a break from guitar/pedals ? -sacreligious i know-

• Members

Originally posted by sdre

well at least ya improving it. i'm just stuck there and bah. maybe i need a break from guitar/pedals ? -sacreligious i know-

Maybe you should. Every so often I dont play for 4 days or so, and I find I come back to the guitar with a few more ideas.

Archived