• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Doug Gifford

from
BBC

Brave wife 'fends off' big tiger

A woman in Bangladesh armed only with an oar from her rowing boat fended off a Royal Bengal tiger which was attacking her husband, police say.

The lucky escape happened near the Sundarbans mangrove forest in the south-west of the country.

Eighteen-year-old Nazma Akhter and her husband Anwarul Islam, 25, were fishing for shrimp on Sunday in a canal on the fringes of the Sundarbans.

Police chief ASM Zahid said the tiger bit the man on the knee and was dragging him off into the forest when his wife set about the big cat with her oar.

"This woman is extraordinarily courageous, because she alone fought the tiger and saved her husband," he told the BBC. "I salute her for her courage."

Mr Zahid said that Ms Akhter kept the tiger at bay for 10 minutes.

Local newspapers reported that such was the beating it received from the paddle that it was forced to beat a retreat into the forest.

Mr Islam is reported to be recovering from minor injuries following the attack.

Ms Akhter was later taken into custody and fined 10 million rupee for harming an endangered royal species. :(

• Members

and they never eat them afterwards

I understand there are many videos of Dad being killed by an elk he was bugging "to get it to do something for the camera"

both funny and awful--I especially feel for the elk

• Members

Has Chuck Norris ever worked with Cornish Game Hens?

Does Chuck Norris know about the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Does Chuck Norris know how to type the unicode for BadAss?

These are the questions that keep me awake at work.

Archived