Does HC need a DIY forum?

RoboPimp

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by vigor&kandor

most definately. diystompboxes is the home of the try DIYers. they build anything and everything.

there's a lot of builders here, a lot of DIYers... why not have a forum here for us?

The diystompboxes is great but no reason not to have more.

• Members

I'm an ex-woodworker and would not only be interested in building stompboxes, but speaker cabs, and I even want to take on building my own guitar. Not from peices, but from scratch. There was a very interesting thread in the amp forum where a guy showed step by step his replacing of the grill cloth on his speaker and adding piping. I get into stuff like that. I think it is a great idea.

• Members
ampage another forum with even more information about DIY. Pedals, Amps, guitars, and everything else you could want.

general good site for diy projects. has diy pedal boards, and power supplies.

tonepad lots of schematics, and projects. has notes from builders and suggestions in case of problems.

theirs more out there. its not that we shouldn't have one here. its like overdrive pedals, no need to oversaturate.

even www.thegearpage.com has tech forums.

• Members
Originally posted by jackpotjewell

I wish I could build a pedal. I have a hard enough time trying to figure out what order to put em in. If I could build a pedal, I would build this...

Contact Dann @ 4ms and he'll build it for ya. :wave:

• Members
Originally posted by paydirt

I'm an ex-woodworker and would not only be interested in building stompboxes, but speaker cabs, and I even want to take on building my own guitar. Not from peices, but from scratch. There was a very interesting thread in the amp forum where a guy showed step by step his replacing of the grill cloth on his speaker and adding piping. I get into stuff like that. I think it is a great idea.

The best guitar builder forum is www.mimf.com

• Members
Originally posted by AMZ-FX

I've got a few projects that might be of interest to the DIYer... see my sig.

Thanks, Jack

Yes, the minibooster and mosfet booster are of much interest. Both sound great.

And I'm loving the Muff and Rat e-book. Great stuff Jack! :thu: :thu:

• Members

thanks, obviously it's people like you that could make a DIY forum here so incredible! Thanks for the links and the inspiration!

I've got a few projects that might be of interest to the DIYer... see my sig.

Thanks, Jack

• Moderators

Originally posted by MrSage

Yes, the minibooster and mosfet booster are of much interest. Both sound great.

I just got in some boards for an LPB2 type silicon transistor booster... they are interesting because they can be used to make a variety of circuits. I'm still working on the circuit ideas:

http://www.muzique.com/lab/booster.htm

regards, Jack

ps: thanks for the compliment Robopimp!

• Members

no problem, I think your stuff looks great. I am more into the perfboard stage right now but someday soon I think I will be buying PCBs (or making my own!! :thu )

I just got in some boards for an LPB2 type silicon transistor booster... they are interesting because they can be used to make a variety of circuits. I'm still working on the circuit ideas:

regards, Jack

ps: thanks for the compliment Robopimp!

• Members
Originally posted by MadSkillzMan

+1

am i the only one that did a DIY talkbox?

Nope. I built one back in high school. Hey, it was the easiest project in Craig Anderton's book. :) (once I found a horn driver of course).

I'm in for the DIY forum. I like a place for all the HC geeks (effects, amps, synths, dsp, etc) to get together.

• Members

it is the coolest, rarely used effect, thats the EASIEST

Mine was a horn hooked to the guts of an old Regal amp i found.

cost me 15$ total, it was self driven ..i sitll got it, sounds great, looks like {censored} though..built it inside a computer PSU that caught fire

Bump.... :wave:

Anyone else interested in this idea? Seperate forum for DIY'ers?

I can't make any promises, but if there's enough interest, I'll send it up the flagpole and see if I can get "the powers that be" to salute. ;)

Only thing is, I think any "new" forums we're adding are all being "moderated". So who would you suggest for that assignment / position? It would probably be easier / more likely to fly if we have all of our ducks in a row in advance. ;)

And no, I do not want that gig either. ;):D

• Members
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Bump....
:wave:

Anyone else interested in this idea? Seperate forum for DIY'ers?

I can't make any promises, but if there's enough interest, I'll send it up the flagpole and see if I can get "the powers that be" to salute.
;)

Only thing is, I think any "new" forums we're adding are all being "moderated". So who would you suggest for that assignment / position? It would probably be easier / more likely to fly if we have all of our ducks in a row in advance.
;)

And no, I do not want that gig either.
;):D

Please add my vote again! An HC DIY forum would be great. Here's why:

1. There are lots of other DIY forums, but they focus on specific things. So you have a forum for synth, and one for pedals, etc. One central DIY forum would offer a great way for people to see projects and ideas outside of their typical scope.

2. Most of the existing DIY forums expect a certain level of technical proficiency and experience. That's great when you get to that level. However, I think that many of folks on HC are just getting their feet wet. The HCDIY would be a great place for beginner and intermediate folks to get their feet wet.

3. Moderated is fine. Keep it on topic and under control. The last thing a DIY guys wants when he/she is struggling/frustrated is to be flamed by a dickwad.

Do what you can to make it happen Phil, I think it would be a great addition to the board.

• Members

2. Most of the existing DIY forums expect a certain level of technical proficiency and experience. That's great when you get to that level. However, I think that many of folks on HC are just getting their feet wet. The HCDIY would be a great place for beginner and intermediate folks to get their feet wet.

any of the forums i mentioned dont expect any level of experience. i am no professional, and no matter how stupid the question they have always answered without any ego tripping.

i am not against a new forum, it just seems like people think its to difficult to go to another website to get information. i have found love from EVERY forum i have ever been to.

Archived