Does HC need a DIY forum?

RoboPimp

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sure, but don't knock the heat transfers. I have ones that are incredible quality and last for years. Plus a lot easier for full color.

Originally posted by MadSkillzMan

you do screening? id like to learn to do it myself, i have a ton of halarious Tshirt ideas and im not gonna go the cheap iron on route

Originally posted by RoboPimp

Wow, incredible man! I didn't know you got involved... I assumed you guys were just gunna blow it off!

Well, I'm not going to blow off a good idea. And while it's still not a "done deal", and speaking only for myself and not "officially", I DO think it's a good idea.
:thu:

I'm psyched but also scared... a moderator... I somehow seem to have a lot of conflits with moderators. I think my real life persona doesn't translate so well in forums... I'll do my best to think before I type.

Thanks Rob.
:cool:

• Members

I would actually vote against a DIY forum. Seems like that would just pull some of the people that are more interested from that type of project off of the board, and I like having all the DIY guys around here to answer questions, both about DIY projects and to provide good technical information about pedals and maintenance.

While I'm sure plenty of guys would be readily available in both forums, some people, myself included, tend to stick to one forum. I could be wrong about that, just what I've noticed.

Its pretty easy to seach for DIY threads or use google to find great DIY pages with all the info you could need. And if you need more, I've never had a problem getting an answer by posting here.

If anything, I think a sticky would be better if everyone wanted to keep a big thread going devoted only to DIY stuff, although I know a lot of people seem to hate the stickeys for some reason.

• Members

i see what your saying, alotta people act like the other sections of this forum are totally unrelated

i hang out here primarily, then id have to say the amp forum..

and ill often see "hey checkout what the idiots are doing over in the amp forum.." and vice versa

• Members

Originally posted by fernmeister

a DIY sticky would be pretty unwieldy. once threads get beyond 6-7 pages they become hard to navigate and hard to search. i would hate to be looking through a 40 page thread for the 2-3 posts relevant to whatever project I was working on...

I agree. I think a sticky would be very unwieldy, but it makes more sense to me than an entirely different forum.

I guess if all the DIY guys really want one, go for it, but I think it would ultimately detract from this place. Its pretty easy to do a search for DIY and come up with plenty of threads to comment in if thats what you want.

Originally posted by RoboPimp

no sticky... If we're gunna do it, lets do it right.

That will be up to the moderators, with the input of the forum community taken into account of course. :) That is, if we do the new forum. But so far, most of the feedback I'm getting is generally positive. Craig should be reading about it later today or maybe tomorrow, and we'll see what he thinks. :)

• Members

i think DIYstompboxes.com is good enough but if there would be an HC DIY forum it would be nice if it has a lot more than effect pedals. like amps, instruments, synths, circuit bending.. basicly anything that can create or shape a lot of noise:)

• Members

Originally posted by hoerni

I am surprised he hasn't shown up in this thread already...

There are probably some other good candidates on the amp forum. I don't know too many, but Trace from Voodoo and Doug Roccaforte have been pretty cool.

Slammed this past weekend. Worked two concerts (Cowboy Mouth and Beth Orton) been trying to get this ADC to simulate with real caps, ugh...Still I am game.

Originally posted by birt

i think DIYstompboxes.com is good enough but if there would be an HC DIY forum it would be nice if it has a lot more than effect pedals. like amps, instruments, synths, circuit bending.. basicly anything that can create or shape a lot of noise:)

Some other people have suggested it go beyond just pedals and into any DIY music related type build too. I suppose that could include DIY effects racks and cabinets, DIY guitar and bass builds (kits or from scratch), DIY synths, effects, etc. etc.

Personally, I think that would be cool. :)

Any other thoughts / suggestions?

• Members

If it starts going into amps there should be some big warnings at the top. With pedals it is hard to get a bad shock from a 9 volt, but if you are building a tube amp you can die. Still I think it should cover a bunch of ground.

• Members

agreed on the amp warning, should be a huge page before you even enter it..

i was just thinking about that..id like to see some hot rodding methods as well as biasing..im trying to warm up my X100, i found some step by step guides to add warmth/gain, but its a fixed bias, and someone just jammed EL34s in there when stock is 6L6...and finding REAL answers out there on google is pretty tough on this situation

Archived