Bartering...

booher

• Members

I think this is a big part of pedals, and guitar stuff in general. But let's say I walk into a store and they've got a pedal running for $60 bucks.

I've got two pedals that I want to take off of my hands, and they happen to be a Boss OS-2 (just bought a no-led RAT) and a Boss CS-3 (I'm hoping they still have the CS-2).

Would you say that asking for 75 bucks between the two is fair? So basically I'd get the CS-2 $60 pedal and 15 bucks to boot. I'm hoping to start off with asking 40 each. This is more of a mom & pop shop sort of deal, so I hope I can try and get this out of them.

What do you think?

And what are your bartering methods?

• Members

Originally posted by booher

I think this is a big part of pedals, and guitar stuff in general. But let's say I walk into a store and they've got a pedal running for $60 bucks.

I've got two pedals that I want to take off of my hands, and they happen to be a Boss OS-2 (just bought a no-led RAT) and a Boss CS-3 (I'm hoping they still have the CS-2).

Would you say that asking for 75 bucks between the two is fair? So basically I'd get the CS-2 $60 pedal and 15 bucks to boot. I'm hoping to start off with asking 40 each. This is more of a mom & pop shop sort of deal, so I hope I can try and get this out of them.

What do you think?

And what are your bartering methods?

take whatever you thinik is fair and halve that and that's what you'll get in trade.

in general stores don't give you anywhere NEAR what you think you'll get. they have to make a profit on the stuff and it may sit around for months, etc.

but that's why God invented eBay.

or just sell 'em here. see SPAM sticky.

• Members

do you know how long I had these two pedals up for sale in my signature? and spamming, too. besides, i need quick cash, shipping can be a bitch because I live at school and don't have any cheap boxes.

I know I can at least sell these two for the one pedal. I suppose I can always try anyways.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

you'll get $40-50.

I had an MT-2 that I sold on Livejournal for $50, and guitar center wanted to give me $30 for it. But for both of these I figured I could walk in and straight up trade both of them for the CS-2. But, the price also went up to $70 when I found it there. I'd probably go back on a weekday when the guy I knew was working there, and tell him it used to be $60 and these two pedals are worth more than that but just settle for the trade.

I'll probably still try and sell these things here and try to find a cs-2 on ebay or something, or eventually just go blow my giftcards on the CS-2.

• Members

Stores generally mark up their inventory about 200%. So if they paid $33 for something, they would sell it for around $100. You have to figure what you think they could realistically could sell your pedals for. Then figure they will maybe give you about 1/3 of that.

• Members

Originally posted by booher

shipping can be a bitch because I live at school and don't have any cheap boxes.....

the USPS offers free boxes of different sizes for Priority Mail items, some big enough to send a green muff in.

you can still use that box to send it with UPS or whoever.

• Members

Originally posted by TeamoDave

Stores generally mark up their inventory about 200%. So if they paid $33 for something, they would sell it for around $100. You have to figure what you think they could realistically could sell your pedals for. Then figure they will maybe give you about 1/3 of that.

As an owner of a mom-n-pop music shop I can tell you that we don't, nor does any other shop I know of, get anywhere near 200% markup on used OR new gear. You do well to get 33 to 40 percent these days. I don't know where you pulled that figure from (or who might have given it to you), but it's way, way off base.

• Members

Originally posted by Billystrat

In my experience you get far more worth out of trading pedals or selling them here. With the mom and pop style store you may get lucky, but most music stores always get pedals for nothing and then sell them for waaaaay too much.

"It is not too expensive. You just can't afford it." -Jim Rohn

• Members

All I know is a store near me wouldn't swap my $200 drum machine for a $120 pedal. They sell on consignment; I tried to explain that they can have 17% of both these items (i.e $55 total) or they can give me the pedal, pay the owner $100, and get $100 profit when they sell my drum machine. I'd just doubled their potential profit but they wouldn't listen to it - "There's no guarantee we'll sell your drum machine man". Incidentally they haven't so I'm taking it back and putting it on ebay.

• Members

Originally posted by Jon Hiller

As an owner of a mom-n-pop music shop I can tell you that we don't, nor does any other shop I know of, get anywhere near 200% markup on used OR new gear. You do well to get 33 to 40 percent these days. I don't know where you pulled that figure from (or who might have given it to you), but it's way, way off base.

You're right. I meant stores, as in not just music stores, but clothes, food, etc... I know the profit margins in the music stores are tighter than that.

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

US Postal Service will give you free boxes.

That's cheap.

REALLY??? The boxes in usps are not free.

(Think about it, it is from the federal government!) It just depends on what slack ass pissed off worker that doesnt care is behind the counter.

Or maybe that is just N.C.

• Members

Originally posted by derek_32999

REALLY??? The boxes in usps are not free.

(Think about it, it is from the federal government!) It just depends on what slack ass pissed off worker that doesnt care is behind the counter.

Or maybe that is just N.C.

I get all my boxes free from USPS.

They have a store at usps.com

You just enter your shipping information, pick out your boxes, and they send them to you.

They're marked Priority Mail, but that's what I use anyway. There's one size that's perfect for pedals.

Archived