Ebay Woes...

moo1010321

• Members

Seriously people gotta freaken bitch over the smallest things. There's a dink on the back of the pedal, boom lands you a freaken neutral feedback. Dammit, I hate these douchebags. (pardon my french) sorry just needed to vent to my imaginary online audience. LOL

• Members

can you rebuttal a neutral?

I'd give him negative feedback for not asking proper questions before buying... ergo, caveat emptor... i.e. don't beak about {censored}...

I bought 3 music books locally and the dude goes, I've already bought packing for the books so you gotta pay for it... fair enough, I'll use the packaging myself... pick up books and no packaging... seller was a borderline nimrod... should've given that prick -ve feedback but I was so happy to get the books...

later

• Members

Originally posted by moo1010321

Seriously people gotta freaken bitch over the smallest things. There's a dink on the back of the pedal, boom lands you a freaken neutral feedback. Dammit, I hate these douchebags. (pardon my french) sorry just needed to vent to my imaginary online audience. LOL

im not imaginary, im real!

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

I dunno. How did you describe thew condition? Link to the lisitng?

Yeah, +1 on that.

Can we see how it was described?

I always include representative pictures on my eBay auctions (not links to manufacturer stock photos) and remind the buyer that the item is used and shows scratches, dings, and/or signs of wear and tear.

People want to get what they paid for. There are people who just care that the pedal works fine, but there are also people who are buying to collect or to give as a gift. You never know which ones are bidding on your items, so a complete and accurate description (with actual photos) is very necessary.

• Members

Originally posted by PeelingPaint98

Sometimes that doesn't help, I sold a non-pedal item recently and the dude left me neutral feedback: "Item as described"

That was it.

I'd retaliate with a negative in that case.

Warn others that he leaves negative or neutral feedback for no reason.

• Members

Originally posted by BigFurryWhale

Man, I would be pissed if someone did that.

+1.

I also hate flaky sellers who'll wait with providing their feedback.

I recently bought a vintage MXR Line Driver from a guy in Germany. It took 1.5 months and lots of e-mails (after payment) before he shipped it.

I'm thinking of leaving a neutral, because (although the pedal was perfect) the transaction wasn't that smooth.

But this guy waits with his feedback, and I'm not interested in getting hit with a neutral or a negative, eventhough I'm the one who paid within 10 days, did all my best to establish good communications and stuff.

On a more positive note, seller 'mymickey25' is one of the nicest and best ebayers I've come across recently.

Superb communication, extremely bizarre great packaging, etc.

I bought a DOD FX-17 wah/volume from him.

• Members

I wouldn't blast him, myself.

If I were me, I'd say something in the reply line like
"Sorry if I missed anything. I try hard to give complete discriptions, but maybe I missed that nick."

Then you're a good guy, showed concern and I'd think most people would feel like "hey, one nick, BFD."

Take the high road and then people will take your side. Piss on him and you look pissy.

For what my opinion is worth.

• Members

Originally posted by Speeddemon

+1.

I also hate flaky sellers who'll wait with providing their feedback.

I do this. I had a guy try and force a refund from me on the basis that he didn't like the pedal and since I'd already left feedback I couldn't threaten him with a negative.

• Members
Originally posted by MrSage

Yeah, +1 on that.

I always include representative pictures on my eBay auctions (not links to manufacturer stock photos) and remind the buyer that the item is used and shows scratches, dings, and/or signs of wear and tear.

People want to get what they paid for. There are people who just care that the pedal works fine, but there are also people who are buying to collect or to give as a gift. You never know which ones are bidding on your items, so a complete and accurate description (with actual photos) is very necessary.

Yeah I'm one that doesn't care. My CE-2 is pretty rough but it sounds great. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

I do this. I had a guy try and force a refund from me on the basis that he didn't like the pedal and since I'd already left feedback I couldn't threaten him with a negative.

Me too, I had a guy want to return a pedal after 45 days, trying to claim it wasn't right, and that he had just then opened it a day or so before. Like I'm gonna believe that, first of all.... I mean, who waits 45 days after receiving something in the mail that they bought to check it out? Second, I know for a fact that the pedal was working properly, as our service guy is a certified Morley repair guy, and he had gone through it and put a new bulb in it before we shipped it. Not to mention that the pedal was sold as is, since it was a 1970's pedal. He told he he was going to "turn me in to the authorities" if I didn't refund him, and he'd turn me in to the BBB too! He did actually file the negative feedback, although that's as far as it went. Normally, though, I post feedback as soon as I hear from a buyer that the item got there ok. I'm not a hard nose with the no refunds policy, if something doesn't work I will do whatever I can to make it right, as several here can attest to. I just didn't like the threat from this guy so I simply didn't bother with him, especially since it had been 45 days. Had he emailed me 3 or 4 days or even a week after he got it, and had he been nice about it instead of threatening, I would have likely just taken it back and refunded the guy.

I have one now who is a newbie to Ebay who bought a microphone from me 9 days ago and hasn't responded to my invoice or any emails I have sent him. He has also done the same thing to another seller who I've been in contact with. I dunno whether to relist the item yet or not, but the fact that they don't respond is getting on my nerves.

• Members

As a seller, I usually do not leave feedback first for this very reason. You're vulnerable to being blackmailed per se. There are some unreasonable people out there and you have to protect yourself. I would say that 90% of my transactions (buying and selling) have gone well. I try and leave a detailed description within reason. I'm not going to point out every single nick. I almost always manage to get my asking price. Hence, this tells me that many people don't care if it is not cosmetically perfect as long as there isn't a high degree of wear and it works fine.

My recent Ebay story is that I bought an amp for the first time through Ebay. I've always been hesitant to do so. It was listed as being fully functional with the exception of a couple scratchy pots. Well, I received it Saturday and it isn't a functional amp. All I get out of it are faint notes that don't sustain and a load of crackling noises. I dropped it off at a repair shop to get it looked at. I let the seller know about it and I plan to ask her cover the repair bill. I've been direct but non-threatening. I'm expecting her to resist covering it. I'll file a complaint with Paypal if she resists. We'll what happens after that.

• Members

As a seller you might get blackmailed,
but as a stand-up buyer (like me), you might get retaliated, eventhough YOU kept your end of the bargain! :mad:

I mean, if I give that German seller a neutral (what I'm fully entitled to, since the transaction went rough, and for awhile he even claimed I didn't pay, so I had to contact my bank to show them a list of all the info regarding my payment, and they were scampering back like "oh yeah, sorry, we found your payment, blabla, extra number was included, didn't see it..." ), he could retaliate by giving ME a neutral (although I deserve more than positive) or worse, a negative.

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

Yeah, +1 on that.

Yes +2

Often people selling used ZVEX Fuzz Factories do not post the pedals serial numbers or dates.

There should be a rule to due that from now on!

Usually if they post a picture of one that looks old, you still have to ask. The serial number and date have greater value these days being Vexters sell for $175.

Sellers who use false pictues is against Ebay rules.

• Members

I could come from a non-ebay view and say that a neutral is perfectly acceptable - Negative obviously coming if the transaction goes badly for some reason, neutral for one that goes through normally, and positive for one that goes really well: good communication or really speedy service or whatever

Then again that view dosen't seem to actually count

As for the origonal poster, it would be interesting to see how you described it and pictured it, saying that there are some marks/small dents in the pedal and him complaining is a bit off, but then again if you described it in 'good condition' or neglected to mention the small dent (to me a dent is a lot worse than a chip in the paint, you can chip things easily, but it takes soe force to actually dent the casing of a boss pedal)

The only ebay transaction I have made went fine, I was waiting for the auction to end (kinda semi sniping, bidding with a few minutes left, but not uber close) sent cash straight after, got the item (a cd) a few days later, no idea about feedback though - My brother did it through his account so I don't know if anythign happened there (though I did ask him to)

David

• Members
Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

I could come from a non-ebay view and say that a neutral is perfectly acceptable

David

that view won't last you long on Ebay, if other sellers check your history, and see that everytime you received a positive, you gave a neutral.

They'll avoid you like the plague. :evil:

• Members

that view won't last you long on Ebay, if other sellers check your history, and see that everytime you received a positive, you gave a neutral.

They'll avoid you like the plague.
:evil:

aye, thats a logical take on it

thats got nothing to do with what actually happens, really, positive for good, negative for bad, and neutral for the places when they were unhappy but have nothing to really complain about

David

• Members
Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

aye, thats a logical take on it

thats got nothing to do with what actually happens, really, positive for good, negative for bad, and neutral for the places when they were unhappy but have nothing to really complain about

David

That's not what you said in your earlier post! :eek:

I quote:
"neutral for one that goes through normally,"

There's a HUGE difference between a transaction that goes through normally and one that in the end worked out, but had a lot of hardship in the process!

If you mean the latter, then yes, I agree; a neutral it should be.
But if you got nothing complain, eventhough nothing stellar in terms of shipping speed, packaging quality, etc. happened, then you should still give a positive, I think.

• Members

That's not what you said in your earlier post!
:eek:

I quote:

"neutral for one that goes through normally,"

There's a HUGE difference between a transaction that goes through normally and one that in the end worked out, but had a lot of hardship in the process!

If you mean the latter, then yes, I agree; a neutral it should be.

But if you got nothing complain, eventhough nothing stellar in terms of shipping speed, packaging quality, etc. happened, then you should still give a positive, I think.

no, I meant, if you think about it logically (kinda like Mr Pink's (I think it was) thing about tipping waitressed in Reservoir dogs - which makes sense in a kinda heartless way for the circumstances) then a neutral would be for a normal one that went through fine, which makes sense to me at least

in real life, it dosent work that way, more like what i said in my last post

David

• Members

As a seller you might get blackmailed,

but as a stand-up buyer (like me), you might get retaliated, eventhough YOU kept your end of the bargain!
:mad:

I think the problem is that you can't lump all sellers together under your theory.

I'll withhold feedback until I know that the buyer is satisfied so that he can't try to say that something was wrong.

I know I'm a stand-up kinda guy, and that I'm not going to threaten an undeserved negative...

But as far as I'm concerned, the transaction isn't over as soon as the person pays. Many people pay within 5 minutes of the auction ending (I had 6 auctions end last night, and all paid within a half hour).

But I haven't dealt with these people yet. I've got their money, but they may turn out to be complete assholes...I want to wait until they receive the items and are satisfied before I'm content that my end of the deal is over. At that point I have no problem leaving positive feedback.

But if something happen during shipping or the person turns out to be your basic asshole, I don't want my feedback to suffer as a result. If I leave them a positive as soon as they've paid, then they have every incentive to pretend something was wrong or to try to dick me over. And if that happens, I sure as hell am going to regret leaving a positive feedback for such a negative experience.

That's why I wait to hear back from the buyer before leaving feedback.

• Members

Moo, I agree with the guy offering you advice to take the high road. If I were looking to purchase from you and saw that sort of reply to his neutral I'd figure you were on the up-and-up and the neutral giver was an ass-hat.

I also lump those sellers with-holding feedback into the same catagory. I've had several instances of problems with sellers, and as it turned out they waited to leave feedback until feedback was left for them (which I now see as a big red flag to avoid these sellers). I've had (2) cases where payment was sent certified mail with tracking, one resulted in the sellers claiming to not have received payment even though tracking proved otherwise, and another where delivery was attempted (3) times afterwhich a message was left for the seller to sign for and pick up the payment at the post office. The later turned ME into eBay for nonpayment. After two weeks of forwarding all the emailed info and to eBay that this jerk refused to receive payment, they finally cleared my account and did absloutely nothing to his. I also had a situation where I bought a drum kit, received a bent bass hoop and was given the run around. Thanks to HC drum forum I was able to get a new hoop from the manufacturer (long story). In short, all 3 of these ass-hats would not leave feedback until they saw what I had left (why is this NOT extorting) and I think it shows the character of the individual if they are not leaving feedback if payment is made quickly, but withholding it for like feedback. I now look at the feedback times from sellers, if they wait, I assume they're extorters.

• Members

Originally posted by Jon Hiller

Me too, I had a guy want to return a pedal after 45 days, trying to claim it wasn't right, and that he had just then opened it a day or so before. Like I'm gonna believe that, first of all.... I mean, who waits 45 days after receiving something in the mail that they bought to check it out? Second, I know for a fact that the pedal was working properly, as our service guy is a certified Morley repair guy, and he had gone through it and put a new bulb in it before we shipped it. Not to mention that the pedal was sold as is, since it was a 1970's pedal. He told he he was going to "turn me in to the authorities" if I didn't refund him, and he'd turn me in to the BBB too! He did actually file the negative feedback, although that's as far as it went. Normally, though, I post feedback as soon as I hear from a buyer that the item got there ok. I'm not a hard nose with the no refunds policy, if something doesn't work I will do whatever I can to make it right, as several here can attest to. I just didn't like the threat from this guy so I simply didn't bother with him, especially since it had been 45 days. Had he emailed me 3 or 4 days or even a week after he got it, and had he been nice about it instead of threatening, I would have likely just taken it back and refunded the guy.

That actually happened to me once. It was with an Ibanez 10-series equalizer that I BIN'd for uber cheap.

Anyway, I won it while on vacation and paid right away via PayPal. My apartment accepts package deliveries and puts them in a locked room until tenants sign for them, so I wasn't worried about it at all.

Anyway, when I got home I had a bunch of packages and bills and other mail to sift through, so I threw this box into a drawer with some pedals just to get it out of the way while we were unpacking. Well, I ended up forgetting about it/not having time to open it for a couple of weeks, so by the time I even unpacked the pedal, it was probably a month later. I tried it out, and the switch was bad.

I felt bad about having waited so long, but I e-mailed the seller and tried to explain what happened. He called me a moron and refused to do anything. So I left a neutral. I mean, a new switch was a couple of bucks on my next Smallbear order, so it wasn't that big of a deal. Still, given the fact that he sent a faulty pedal and jumped straight to namecalling when I e-mailed him about it, I didn't think he deserved a positive. I restrained myself and left neutral feedback.

He got all kinds of nasty and said that it was damaged during shipping and I should have filed a claim with USPS. Which is stupid, as it was packaged quite well. It was just broken. Bad switch, which happens from time to time.

Anyway, I felt kinda bad that I hadn't even gotten to open the box for quite some time, but I think it's still reasonable for me to expect the switch to work at that point...

Archived