Ebay Woes...

moo1010321

• Members

Originally posted by c2rex

I now look at the feedback times from sellers, if they wait, I assume they're extorters.

When you're looking at feedback times, how do you figure out when the seller received payment?

You seem to have a very cynical viewpoint that sellers are all evil, and are extorting buyers by withholding feedback.

There's a flip-side to that coin. Some sellers are quite honest, but they just don't want to get extorted by buyers. Or, they may just be waiting to see if the buyer is going to be an asshole.

I buy and sell quite a bit, and the way I see it, there's no reason for a seller to leave anything but positive feedback once the buyer leaves positive feedback.

As an honest seller, once I know that the buyer is happy, the transaction is complete and I'll leave positive feedback. I'm not selling mis-represented items, so there's no reason for me to extort anyone. The reason I wait until I hear back from them is so that I'm sure they received the item as I described it and they're happy.

That said, I'm sure there are dishonest sellers out there who use feedback to intimidate.

The eBay feedback system isn't perfect, but it's all we've got...if people worry more about having perfect feedback than about honestly telling others how the transaction was, then dishonest eBayers will be able to keep getting away with ripping people off.

As a buyer, I've decided that I'm not going to be intimidated. If I get a faulty item or have a problem, I'll e-mail the seller. If it doesn't get resolved, I have no problem leaving negative or neutral feedback. Yes, the seller will retaliate (I have two negatives in retaliation for feedback I left), but that kind of thing doesn't really matter in the big picture. Besides, you can respond to their feedback...it's usually pretty clear how it all went down.

• Members

Originally posted by Speeddemon

Sage, I understand your earlier point, but in my case I DID contact the seller(s) that the pedal(s) arrived (finally) and that they worked fine, after testing.

At THAT point I expect a positive feedback.

Yep...I've got no problem with leaving positive feedback at that point.

• Members

When you're looking at feedback times, how do you figure out when the seller received payment?

If the buyer has left feedback, I'm assuming he's received the item, and I'm also making the assumption that the seller has received payment. If the seller had issues with nonpayment/late payment it'd've been addressed in feedback from the seller.

If no feedback is left after payment, then you can't tell. Thats part of the problem.

Yes, you are absolutely right that its not a perfect system, and I do not have a better solution. But I do believe the buyer's responsibility ends at sending prompt payment. At that point the seller has the money, what more does he deserve? Feedback should be left.

A seller withholding feedback from a buyer who has promptly paid serves no purpose other than extortion or revenge. Its obvious to me at that point that these people are not honest and I do not want to deal with them. At least thats my current philosophy.

• Members

Originally posted by c2rex

If the buyer has left feedback, I'm assuming he's received the item, and I'm also making the assumption that the seller has received payment. If the seller had issues with nonpayment/late payment it'd've been addressed in feedback from the seller.

If no feedback is left after payment, then you can't tell. Thats part of the problem.

Yes, you are absolutely right that its not a perfect system, and I do not have a better solution. But I do believe the buyer's responsibility ends at sending prompt payment. At that point the seller has the money, what more does he deserve? Feedback should be left.

A seller withholding feedback from a buyer who has promptly paid serves no purpose other than extortion or revenge. Its obvious to me at that point that these people are not honest and I do not want to deal with them. At least thats my current philosophy.

In a perfect world I can agree with this, but it's not perfect and from a seller's perspective a lot can happen after payment is made that will result in a poor transaction with a buyer. It is obvious that the lack of trust remains between the buyer and seller even after prompt payment is made and the gear is delivered. That's why there's the "you first...no after you" mentality when it comes to leaving feedback.

The buyer's responsibility is more than making payment. It involves a level of expectation about the fulfillment of the transaction, and that's where many buyers do a jeckyl and hyde act.

There have been lots of examples documented here with the guy crying "if only I hadn't left a positive feedback already". That's from buyers and sellers alike.

• Members

One thing that irks me is when I leave positive feedback for a seller and I don't receive one in return. I think Ebay could resolve this particular issue by not officially posting feedback to one's account until both parties have submitted feedback for the transaction.

• Members

Originally posted by Billy Dee

One thing that irks me is when I leave positive feedback for a seller and I don't receive one in return. I think Ebay could resolve this particular issue by not officially posting feedback to one's account until both parties have submitted feedback for the transaction.

Yeah, that's an idea that I've had as well.

Both parties leave feedback blind, and once both sets of feedback are entered, eBay posts the results.

We'd see a lot more negatives and neutrals, and I think you'd be able to trust people's feedback a lot more.

I don't believe that someone can have 300 transactions without a single rough experience, so when I see someone with 300 positive feedbacks and no negative or neutral, that sets off red flags. Either they mutually agreed to leave positives for people even though the experience was bad or they mutually decided not to leave feedback at all when they probably should hae left neutral or negative. I know I've done both plenty of times.

Blind feedback submission would help with that.

• Members

Originally posted by Billy Dee

I think Ebay could resolve this particular issue by not officially posting feedback to one's account until both parties have submitted feedback for the transaction.

This is a great idea. The only problem I see with it is that someone with lots of feedback may choose to stop leaving feedback altogether because 1. they have enough to be considered a good seller, and 2. they want to avoid any possible negatives.

Archived