Playing without a BASSIST!

POGphile

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

poop on all of you :p. i just took over playing bass for my band. ive played keys and guitar most my life and just recently got into bass. i think bassists are boring when they refuse to push their instrument to its boundaries and beyond.

• Members

Not to be an ass, but it sounds like a lot of you have let any old bassist with all manner of problems and incompetencies join your band, and then got pissed when they don't work out.

Try pre-screening them, or only consider players that are so good/professional that they could actually sit in at a gig and show you what they have right then and there.

• Members

I'm on the other end of the spectrum here.

I'm a bassist, and I've been unable to find a band that isn't some kind of "x"-core, a band with at least ONE competent member, a band with a singer that isn't the flakiest fruitcracker in the northern hemisphere, or all of the above.

• Members

Not to be an ass, but it sounds like a lot of you have let any old bassist with all manner of problems and incompetencies join your band, and then got pissed when they don't work out.

Try pre-screening them, or only consider players that are so good/professional that they could actually sit in at a gig and show you what they have right then and there.

It's not always easy to just find a musician. Sometimes you've gotta settle when there's very few options.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum here.

I'm a bassist, and I've been unable to find a band that isn't some kind of "x"-core, a band with at least ONE competent member, a band with a singer that isn't the flakiest fruitcracker in the northern hemisphere, or all of the above.

Are you in the philly/ south jersey area?

• Members
Originally posted by molsen

poop on all of you
:p
. i just took over playing bass for my band. ive played keys and guitar most my life and just recently got into bass. i think bassists are boring when they refuse to push their instrument to its boundaries and beyond.

Be prepared for your life to fall apart.
:D;)
Just kidding. I hope it goes well.

• Members
Originally posted by TeamoDave

Be prepared for your life to fall apart.

:D;)
Just kidding. I hope it goes well.

I'm actually pretty stoked to play bass. It's just a new instrument to me...a new dimension of playing. Besides, I'm having tons of fun messing around with fx on bass. Like I said -- whole new dimension. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but my bass playing is what our band needed. And I get some serious satisfaction from that, knowing that I'm playing a large role in taking our music to a new level.

• Members

Originally posted by psalt_phallow

I'd say don't bother recording the bass parts and just deal with not having a bass player for awhile. The guitar can fill in the parts along with the kick of the drums very well. Most live and recorded sessions have the bass so far back in the mix you can't hear it anyway.

Are you on drugs? Seriously, have you ever played with a band?

The bass is the single most important part.

I would play with no drummer before I would play with no bassist.

I would not play in a rock band without a bassist.

My advice to the original poster, find another bass player.

• Members

Originally posted by bbrunskill

Are you on drugs? Seriously, have you ever played with a band?

The bass is the single most important part.

I would play with no drummer before I would play with no bassist.

I would not play in a rock band without a bassist.

My advice to the original poster, find another bass player.

A lot of us have pleanty of experience with bands and don't always have bassists. Sometimes they're necessary, sometimes they're not.

• Members

Many bass players ruin the overall mix in a live situation with their {censored}ty basses and amps, rendering the vocals muddy. I say go with a keytar for bass lines. You get a better dynamic and you can controll the volume better than the plectrum-style of a bass. Who disagrees, all of you? I thought so....

• Members

as long as we're ragging on bassists...

one of the funniest things i've seen in the music world was in a little music shop that sells sheet music. they had the sheet music to whatever Cranberries single was out then. you open it up the 2 page sheet and see

d d d d d d d d d d

d d d d d d d d d d

it was all quarter notes--just switching from D to G or something.

:D

i don't think bass in necessary. some of what i play has a counterpoint on the bass strings of the guitar and i think bass actually gets in the way.
otoh, sometimes bass can be really really nice. playing bass well is just as difficult as playing guitar well but finding someone with that much dedication to the bass is difficult. plus if you do find someone with that much dedication to the bass...aren't you just a little bit freaked out? ;)

• Members

... wow this went a bit off topic...

I would love to have a talented and motivated bassist but I'm sick of wasting time and passing on gigs b/c we cannot for the life of me find one.

Some of you asked what type of music?
check www.myspace.com/kuba - yeah it's indie/rock type of stuff...

and yeahwithout an actual bassist we would have to change our stuff up

I'd really like to hear your suggestions on how to achieve the low end on one instrument...

I don't like the idea of playing to pre-recorded tracks but I guess for some stuff it's important...
Playing thru polyoctave generator on dropped octave wouldn't work on chords...
anything else?

Thanks.

• Members

I'm in a 3-piece with another guy who switchs between bass and guitar and bass rocks.

I play bass on two songs and he plays it on a few and then some are just two guitars and drums. We arrange things though so the sonics aren't all wonky and we aren't playing in exactly the same registers.

Plus when we have bass it's very melodic and more like a lead guitar.

I used to be a drummer so my playing sort of fills that sonic space but with guitar and our drummer sort of is our bass player. :wave:

• Members

ok then...

I'll level with you guys, there are alot of {censored}ty bass players out there. Most of which seem to not care and it even pisses me off just being associated with them by playing a common instrument. Most of the bass players I see in bands are either guitarists who couldnt find a bass player or guys who just picked up a bass and a {censored}ty amp so they could be in a band. its rare to find a bass player who actually wants to play bass (I am one of those rare few, i play guitar too, but bass is the intrument I learned first and have been in bands playing)

Finding a good, dedicated bass player who doesnt suck, or isnt just try and be another guitarist on a bass is quite a task. Its almost as hard as finding a singer who isnt a flake...

but there are some good bass playersout there... too bad they are already in bands. If you can, try and steal one from another band :)

• Members

One of my bands doesn't have a bass player. I just split my signal with a Boss OC-3 and run the octave to my bass rig. It sounds great and that's one less person on stage. I dig it because I get to play through 14 speakers all the time. :thu:

We tried to find a bass player, but no one fit at all. If someone came along and wanted to join, that would be perfectly fine as long as they have the gear to keep up.

• Members

Pedro the Lion toured for some time without a bass player. They tracked the bass on an ipod. The drummer had earphones so that he could click off the track. They plugged it into whatever bass amp someone would let the use.
It always sounded like a live bass player. I never heard them off time either.

• Members

We play without a bass player. Our setup is me on guitar, drums, and a girl singer.

I solve the "low end" problem buy running the guitar through 3 amps at one time: An Orange AD30TC & Orange 2x12 cab, a small 1x10 tube combo, and a 700 watt Peavey Firebass bass amp into a few different cabinets. I've got a couple of eq's in front of the bass amp, to separate the sound from the guitar amps and accentuate the low end.

I've been doing this for about 3 years now. Granted, its very simplified (i like to call it Caveman rock) but it does sound Heavy as {censored}, and the only people who have to be on point/on time are me and the drummer. This makes learning new songs and spontaneous jams live much easier.

Not to brag, but we were just named "Best Local Rock Band" by a south Florida newspaper for the 2nd time in 3 years, so somebody must like what we're doing :D.

Also, I've tried almost every octave/pitchshifter/Pog/whatever on the market and can't find a single one that I like. The way I do it, with a triple signal splitter, I can get my rig to track chords, double stops, and even extended chord voicings without getting that terrible "skipping" tone that mose pitchshifter's produce. Of course I am lugging 3 amps to every gig, but that's our sound.

For the record, I'm a big Jucifer fan, and that's where I got the idea to start putting this rig/band together.

• Members

I don't know what kind of band you have, if you have an acoustic band, go right ahead, it sounds fine without a bass, but you need to put in alot more bass into your acoustic playing.

Same goes for if you're playing the electric instead. put in alot more rythem with more bass...

find a bass player though, you don't want to go on without one for a long time, bass plays an important part in songs (though they might not be noticed, you notice when they're not there.), they can make a good song great.

rythem section is very important.

• Members
Originally posted by POGphile

... wow this went a bit off topic...

I would love to have a talented and motivated bassist but I'm sick of wasting time and passing on gigs b/c we cannot for the life of me find one.

Some of you asked what type of music?

check
www.myspace.com/kuba
- yeah it's indie/rock type of stuff...

and yeahwithout an actual bassist we would have to change our stuff up

I'd really like to hear your suggestions on how to achieve the low end on one instrument...

I don't like the idea of playing to pre-recorded tracks but I guess for some stuff it's important...

Playing thru polyoctave generator on dropped octave wouldn't work on chords...

anything else?

Thanks.

My current band has been playing shows for a little over a year without a bassplayer. When we started out couldn't find a person who was good enough and wasn't already in a full time band so we went ahead and starting playing shows without the bass...We're a three peice, 2 guitars and a drummer. It's worked out well for us so far, however our drummer would like a bassplayer and I wouldn't mind getting a bassist as well but we're not too concerned. We're doing just fine without one...you can go here: http://myspace.com/tametameandquiet to get an idea of what you can do without a bassplayer.

Archived