Playing without a BASSIST!

POGphile

• Members

So we are on out 4th bassist already, and they all suck. There is always something missing either no equipment, no commitment, no stage presence, etc..

Instead of wasting more time looking for a bassist, we decided to try going without one.

SO... some of the bass, I can actually prerecord on a cheap digital 8 track and play along LIVE (BTW what do you guys use for playback??)... but I also want to try few songs without tape backing.

I was thinking of splitting my guitar signal, one running thru my usual effects to the guitar amp BUT the second run thru a compressor, delay (slight delay offset to make the "bass" sound more prominent) and 1 octave down on the EH POG (or maybe EH HOG ??) in to a BASS AMP.

What ya'll think? I know that an actual bass player can add more depth to song and that's when I would use the PLAYBACK with bass. BUT COME ON... you know there are some riffs where the bass line is just following the guitar and not truly necessary.

Comments and advise would be appreciated.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by mister kyo

yup

Me too.

But if you're going ot go down the backing track route just use a minidisc. Bass is mono so record on one stereo side (left) and then a click on the right.

Then run the left to the PA and the right to a headphone amp for the drummer.

I think Keane have bass pre-recorded.

Or use synth bass backing and get a keyboard player. Might be nicer people than the bassists you know.

• Members

Having been a bassist for for 15 years myself, I never play without a bassist, it's in me. ;) ... although I'd probably make a better bassist now, after getting a lot of the "guitar urge" out of me.

I've seen plenty of shows where the bass, guitar, and drums turn the low end to sludge. Sometimes even with trios. So I definitely don't think there should be considered any "rule" you need bass. On the other hand I love good bass and it can make the guitar sound so much better.

• Members

though i think the statement about 'lacking stage presence' automatically gives me an idea of the type of musician (or shall i say performer) you are, i share your frustration with bassists...

thus my drummer and i called a nix on future bass players once ours left in February after already quitting once before then coming back.

its forced us to become better musicians... keeping the sound full can at times be a challenge - but for us its definitely worth it.

my drummer has no problem keeping up with my berjillion guitar loops, something bassists generally freak out about.

plus with just 2 people we don't have to process every decision through the roundtable routine...its just "good idea? yeah." "bad idea ?... yeah."

if 1 doesn't like it we generally get rid of the idea or revisit it later.

its funny but losing a bass player is the best thing thats ever happened to me musically.

• Members

I'd say don't bother recording the bass parts and just deal with not having a bass player for awhile. The guitar can fill in the parts along with the kick of the drums very well. Most live and recorded sessions have the bass so far back in the mix you can't hear it anyway.

Also if you pre-record you are limiting yourself to playing the songs in one set way everytime, big let down when you want to add something on the fly.

• Members

i think bass'less only works is your doing stuff like White Stripes or Yeah Yeah Yeah's. Even then, i think "wow this would sound so much better with a bass added". Real old style rootsy Robert Johnson style blues can be had with just a guitar and drums. in fact, me and my drummer are doing a gig just ourselves. Gonna be pumping out some White Stripes and early Zep. If my band had that much of a problem finding a bassist tho, i'd switch to bass because theres more than enough guitarists in the world:wave:

• Members

you COULD make it work if you play lots of non-chordal riffs and just run an octave down pedal through it all. this will simulate a bass sound pretty well. the boss octave pedal is great for this as it has a switch to add extra drive to the lower octave.

i'm mostly in agreement with everyone else....you probably need a bass player.

• Members

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

How many basists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Screw you the guitarist can do it better, faster and with more "feeling". lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So a kid asks his Dad for Bass Guitar lessons.

After the first night he comes home and the dad asks him how it went.

Well Dad today I learned every note on the E string.

After the 2nd night of lessons he comes home and the dad asks him how it went.

Well Dad today I learned everything on the A string.

After the 3rd night the son comes home at 3:00am smelling like beer, cigarettes and dirty women.

The dad asks how the lesson went, to which the son replied, {censored} the lessons, I got a gig!

Lol:D :D:wave::D

• Members

My band's in the same boat. We've gone through so many bass players. We can't find anyone that clicks with us.

The bass player we're in the process of kicking out can't remember our songs for the life of him, and they're all really simple. The last bass player was too busy with his job and not motivated. The one before that was of the fairer sex, and started all this drama. And the one before that was a complete tool. I bet the next one is going to spontaneously combust.

We're also looking into the pitch shifter on the guitar for the low end. We tried a Boss OC-2 but the octave jumped all over the place and sounded really weird. I need to shop around for a pedal that works better with that.

Archived