Damn those dano mini pedals!!!

zinzin

• Members

:mad: i have the rocky road and the french toast - i love the sound of both, but they small knobs are a hit and miss plus the jack in on the french toast works on/off ...:mad: its not reliable for playing live so i have to replace 'em.

rocky road - this is what i love about it: the sound, the gain and volume boost. yes, i love the boost 'cause it gets me instant lead roto sound with just one step and when i need it quieter for some rhythm leslie sound i simply turn down my guitar knob volume.

the boss RT-20 is to big and costs to much for me and i still have to try out the line2 rotomachine. what would you suggest me to do/try out/etc.?

french toast - love the sound. so i am thinking about the foxx tonemachine. but i don't want to spend more than 150 euro ('round 200 dollars). what else should i take into consideration?

damn those minis!!!!:mad:

• Members

since the dollar is very weak today buying the foxx in the US would be round 150 euros, not to expensive than.

i havent found an european online store who sells the foxx yet ... do you know any?

rehousing is very difficult. some people tried it but due to the very tiny innerlife of those danos its rather hard and most people don't even attempt it.

those minis are really meant to be activated with fingers i guess ...:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by percyexpat

ive seen on some people's boards they have a metal case protecting the dano mini pedal rather than rehousing it. a sort of outer shell. i think it was Mono's board that had that on.

thats just a plastic cover which danelectro sells recently with every mini. those are to protect the setting knobs. i have them.

but thats not my problem with the danos, its the on/off switch and the jack in ...

• Members

Be careful how much you spend on modding/rehousing. Because I think you'll spend just as much by buying backup pedals, which will be much easier.

Also don't assume your dano's are breakages waiting to happen. My fish and chips has taken solo stomps for over a year now, if anything they take less abuse because I'm not trying to 'click' them. Just press them.

• Members

Originally posted by Lanefair

Be careful how much you spend on modding/rehousing. Because I think you'll spend just as much by buying backup pedals, which will be much easier.

1 x Hammond enclosure

1 x DPDT stomp switch

Is all he needs. Just use the pots supplied with the pedal for the controls, wire the input jack to the switch first pole common with the first leg going to where the input jack used to be connected on the PCB and the second leg linking to the second leg of the other pole of the switch. The first leg of the second pole will go to where the output jack used to be connected on the PCB and the common to the output jack. Then short out the on/off terminals that are made when the original footswitch is depressed so that they are permanently connected. So when the switch is pressed the normal circuit is enabled, pressed again and the signal will bypass straight from input to output.

Simple and no more than $10 even with new 1/4" jacks.

• Members

Originally posted by IvIark

1 x Hammond enclosure

1 x DPDT stomp switch

Is all he needs. Just use the pots supplied with the pedal for the controls, wire the input jack to the switch first pole common with the first leg going to where the input jack used to be connected on the PCB and the second leg linking to the second leg of the other pole of the switch. The first leg of the second pole will go to where the output jack used to be connected on the PCB and the common to the output jack. Then short out the on/off terminals that are made when the original footswitch is depressed so that they are permanently connected. So when the switch is pressed the normal circuit is enabled, pressed again and the signal will bypass straight from input to output.

Simple and no more than $10 even with new 1/4" jacks.

You're assuming he has all the soldering stuff and a drill etc. Also the pots in the danos are crappy little trimpots actually attached to the board. You'd have to totally replace them for a rehouse.

• Members

You're assuming he has all the soldering stuff and a drill etc. Also the pots in the danos are crappy little trimpots actually attached to the board. You'd have to totally replace them for a rehouse.

Yes that was an assumption, but most people have access to a drill and bit of solder I would imagine, even if they don't own the bits themselves.

I've re-housed a Dano in this way. Having the pots attached to the board makes it even easier because you don't have to worry about mounting the PCB. It's not a total improvement job because it does still use the original hardware but it makes them considerably more sturdy for stomping on.

• Members

Also the pots in the danos are crappy little trimpots actually attached to the board.

Crappy? Maybe. Attached to the board? Maybe not. I don't know about the French Toast, but the Rocky Road has at least two separate PCBS- one with the main circuit, another with the pots attached. This would mean that mounting the main board would still be necessary.

Many moons ago, Fernmeister tried rehousing and modding a French Toast pedal, and killed several. I don't know whether it was the rehousing or the replacement of the components that made them die, but die they did. You have been warned.

• Members

Originally posted by english_bob

Crappy? Maybe. Attached to the board? Maybe not. I don't know about the French Toast, but the Rocky Road has at least two separate PCBS- one with the main circuit, another with the pots attached. This would mean that mounting the main board would still be necessary.

The pedal I did was just a single board. Even if it is a two board pedal, you can get PCB mounting columns for pennies for the main board.

I've got 3 of the Dano FABs that I bought just to try out because they were so cheap, and I think I'm going to put them in a single enclosure just to see how compact I can make it.

• Members

Originally posted by english_bob

Many moons ago, Fernmeister tried rehousing and modding a French Toast pedal, and killed several. I don't know whether it was the rehousing or the replacement of the components that made them die, but die they did. You have been warned.

exactly. i can remember him posting it. so i think rehousing would be very risky. i think i will be better off buying one rocky and one french toast as backups ...

• Members

Originally posted by zinzin

thats just a plastic cover which danelectro sells recently with every mini. those are to protect the setting knobs. i have them.

but thats not my problem with the danos, its the on/off switch and the jack in ...

nope i think this was something different. (see attachment)

• Members

Originally posted by outofmoney

the french toast is the worst pedal I've ever used in my life.

It was so bad that after my friends tried the pedal, they wouldn't take it, even after I offered it for free.

Still have it? I'll take it!

• Members

The French Toast, Rocky Road and Fish & Chips are awesome pedals.

zinzin: What about a true bypass box? Either a double or, if you want them at different points in your signal chain, just get two. Fairly inexpensive and there should be a least a couple different builders on the forum that could do the job in your land.

~MkF!

"Where the sun don't shine!"

• Members

Originally posted by Tuemmueh

IvIark, could you paint a little picture or could you photograph how you did it in your modded Danos? That would be great!

I haven't got the pedal anymore but I'll do a simple diagram later to show how I did it and post it here.

Archived