Doesn't anyone around here use non-boutique pedals?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you made me give up every effect pedal except one, I'd keep my Echo Park. However, I do enjoy some boutique phasers and fuzz. ZVex is definately still boutique and I am so pumped about the Infintphase on it's way. Other than that, I really dig what EHx is putting out.

• Members

There are plenty of mass-produced pedals that are decent, but I prefer to support "the small guys" whenever possible, especially when I am in search of more esoteric modulation and distortion effects.

• Members

Originally posted by fenderguitar

I mean like Boss, Digitech, DOD, MXR, Line 6, etc. I always seem to be reading about someone wanting a $200 fuzz box or a $250 phaser to get that perfect sound. I mean I just have "average joe" brands like the ones I mentioned above and I think they sound pretty good. I'm playing over 25 years so its not like I'm a beginner. Maybe I'm just not as anal about my tone as some.

My board has 3 danos, 1 boss, 1 ehx, 1 johnson, and 1 arion.

I'm gassing for a Vexter fuzz factory and a Zvex machine and some of the more expensive EHX products. I think if something is truly unique like the HOG or 2880, it is worth it.

Most boutique stuff to me seems like overpriced dribble that you could build for a lot less money.

• Members

The only real Boutique pedal I have now on the board is the Klon, although the fulltones probably count as boutique. But they aren't real expensive, so I don't know what the definition of boutique is anymore.

• Members

all the pedals i have are mass produced, except for a rehoused dunlop wah currtisy of mr.sage which got kicked off my board because i needed to fit my channel switcher. i plan on getting a few boutique pedals soon it's just kinda difficult for a 19 year old college kid with a part time job. but it's all in how you use it right.:D

• Members

Originally posted by fenderguitar

I mean like Boss, Digitech, DOD, MXR, Line 6, etc. I always seem to be reading about someone wanting a $200 fuzz box or a $250 phaser to get that perfect sound. I mean I just have "average joe" brands like the ones I mentioned above and I think they sound pretty good. I'm playing over 25 years so its not like I'm a beginner. Maybe I'm just not as anal about my tone as some.

me, i don't have any boutique {censored}.

i like window shopping though.

mine's all Zoom, Line 6, Boss, and Akai.

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

No.

Mass-produced effects are for poor people.
:p

..............and not to mention they make you sound bad :D

Just kidding....sure why not some of the best pedals out there are the boss pedals :thu:

• Members

mass produced stuff rarely does it for me.

ive tried a lot of boss pedals, ibanez, ehx, dunlop, mxr, etc. and they never impress me enough.

e.g.
ive had an ehx big muff for thick fuzz. It was noisy, had a switch problem after 5 months use, and was muddy at best on high gain settings. noisy when cleaned up as well with my strat.
Compare it to my Frantone Peachfuzz. at retail, still cheaper than a Big Muff here in Australia. More versatile tone and gain knob. Is dead silent when not playing. cleans up beautifully. Pulls off anything from Floyd to Corgan. and its half the size. why get a Muff?

and dont get me started on the Teese vs Dunlop wah thing.

Only non-boutique i have at the moment is a DD20. and im selling that too.

• Members
Originally posted by GuyaGuy

i've never owned a boutique thingamabob.

true story.

but wait! that's not all!

i do have one of the way! a ToneFactor Mobius II Effect Loop/Feedbacker!!! Hooray!

GuyaGuy gets all fancy and {censored}!

you have converted :cry:

• Members
Originally posted by thebazaar

e.g.

ive had an ehx big muff for thick fuzz. It was noisy, had a switch problem after 5 months use, and was muddy at best on high gain settings. noisy when cleaned up as well with my strat.

Compare it to my Frantone Peachfuzz. at retail, still cheaper than a Big Muff here in Australia. More versatile tone and gain knob. Is dead silent when not playing. cleans up beautifully. Pulls off anything from Floyd to Corgan. and its half the size. why get a Muff?

I'm swinging the other way with my Frantone experience :) . I had a Frantone Creampuff and thought it was voiced terribly - very thin due to the scooped mids but with a farty bass boost (I assume an attempt to thicken it up) and an either dull or harsh high end with no real sweet spot. Sounded ok at low bedroom volume, but through a cranked amp its thinness really began to show. I would have been appalled if I'd paid the US$215 new price. IC Big Muff blows it away soundwise.

• Members

I'm at 60/40 in favour of boutique.

I buy pedals for how they sound. In my experience hand made pixie dust sprinkled overdrives and fuzzes sound better or simply fit the sounds I want. I've had a bunch of mass produced gain pedals and shifted them all in favour of Fulltone and ZVex etc. I do however love mass produced delays as they sound good and I dont have to remortgage my house to get one ;)

• Members

I don't have any boutique pedals either. I have ordered a BYOC Tri-booster, but as I'm building it myself it won't be handmade so much as bodged together :D

Most of my stuff is slightly leftfield mass-produced, but it's not that hard to find. Or afford. The honourable exception is my Cornell amp, but it's nowhere near the cost of a Victoria or an Allen in the "boutique Fender-alike" stakes.

• Members

About half of my pedals are non-booteek. I use a dunlop crybaby classic, an ibanez fl-9 flanger, and a boss dd-20 giga delay currently. The rest of them are booteek for a reason, mostly because their mass producded counterparts sound like {censored}.

Originally posted by mumford

And who doesn't have some variation on the tube screamer?

I don't. I {censored}ing hate tubescreamers. People talk about strats being vanilla, but you can have the most booteek guitar on the face of the planet and put it through a tubescreamer, and you've become a {censored}ing sundae.

• Members

fenderguitar, i know what you're saying. i use quite a few boss pedals. they are sturdy, quiet, and they never really dissapoint me unless it's distortion/overdrive. actually, the only thing in general about mass produced stuff like boss and digitech or whatever is all their distortion crap. it sounds like absolute balls. botique stuff is a hit or miss. some of it is crap, noisy, and falls apart after a short time. but then other stuff is amazing and you can't beat it.

i use boss, digitech, line 6, ehx, danelectro, vox. i have had fulltone stuff and it was noisy... and im not just talking about hiss, im talking about some other weird crap. i've had arion and behringer and there is nothing quality about that. i have a behringer cab, and it's not bad... but effects pedals... nuh uh. i feel like i could break it just by breathing on it.

• Members

Originally posted by angelhair0

fenderguitar, i know what you're saying. i use quite a few boss pedals. they are sturdy, quiet, and they never really dissapoint me unless it's distortion/overdrive. actually, the only thing in general about mass produced stuff like boss and digitech or whatever is all their distortion crap. it sounds like absolute balls. botique stuff is a hit or miss. some of it is crap, noisy, and falls apart after a short time. but then other stuff is amazing and you can't beat it.

i use boss, digitech, line 6, ehx, danelectro, vox. i have had fulltone stuff and it was noisy... and im not just talking about hiss, im talking about some other weird crap. i've had arion and behringer and there is nothing quality about that. i have a behringer cab, and it's not bad... but effects pedals... nuh uh. i feel like i could break it just by breathing on it.

i never wanted a boss distortion before reading this post

Archived