Someone stitched up SWANKBOX!

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

Problem being, it IS broke.

Amps and to a lesser extend Effects require much more moderation than they should.

A couple local mods would easily fix that.

Actually we are fine and always have been ... when Phil first introduced himself here we had a big chat about it and I said to him back then that the FX forum is a special case group that is self regulating in a way other forums are not. If you change certain fundamental things about it like no mods etc then you actually ARE breaking something in my opinion.

We want to be left as we are ... vehemently so.

• Members

See who's here.

I will watch my mailbox for the preamp.
:)

You think I should thank you?
For what?
I am still waiting to hear officially IF this was about the avatar?
I have some questions....
1. When it was yanked last week, why did no one tell me there was a problem?
2. When I posted a thread about this, again, why was I not given any guidance on this?
3. When I posted a Ditch it or keep it thread last week, why did no one suggest that this evil avatar should vanish?
4. How come I have spent 30 minutes emailing you and you have ignored the last 4 YET had time to post here!
SEND YOU A PRE AMP?
YOU ARE HAVING A LAUGH AREN'T YOU?
:wave: :wave:
And I will pre empt this one.....
My wife is French.
My Mother hails from there too
AND....I was rooting for your mob during the final.

• Members

You're delusional.

The Effect Forum is NOT self moderating.

We have hundreds of threads in the Jail to prove it.

I said self regulating not moderating ... we don't need moderating ... house cleaning maybe but moderating no.

That's not delusional ... that's reality.

EDIT - Oh and way to moderate with the delusional comment.

Okay, here's the deal...

Adam has been restored. Jazz put him on suspension due to the avatar, which had apparently been reported as offensive. Which honestly was news to me because the last one I remember seeing was a Disney character... but then again, I've been pretty tied up in the studio the past two days.

Anyway, I'll have a chat with him to make sure he understands he needs to select a more appropriate avatar next time, but I know Adam, and it's not going to be an issue. :) Part of the problem probably rests with me. Adam had sent a PM or email to me regarding the avatar issue, and when I checked, I saw nothing out of line... but it might have been a cached image of the old one I was seeing... not likely, but possible. Or maybe someone else had already changed it back to his old one and I saw it in between the two offending avatars. In any event, I take responsibility for that in so much as I didn't see anything offensive, and Adam apparently assumed it was okay to re-post it.

As far as forum moderators, I always said I wasn't looking to take over as "the mod" of this forum. I came here, and I hang out here, because I like the people here, and I have interest in the subject matter of the forum. However, as one of the site admins, I do have some responsibility to help oversee the entire HC site, so if I see something way over the line while I'm here, I have a responsibility to address it. As much as possible, I've tried to leave this as a largely "self-moderated" forum, while simultaneously trying to serve as the point of contact and the person who helps put into place what the community wants - just as long as what the community wants is withn the HC site rules / Terms of Service. Speaking of those, you can find them posted right here.

At some point, all forums may have dedicated moderators, and if it came to that, and you wanted me to do so, I would be willing to... under the same basic structure and ground rules we've been operating under for the past several months. IOW, I wouldn't be changing much, if anything about this forum, because frankly, it's usually not much of a problem beyond the occasional flamefest or political argument. ;)

The problem is, when a reported post pertaining to an unmoderated forum comes in, several of us see it... and whomever happens to be online at the moment and gets to it first is the person who usually handles it. That means that while we all try to stay on the same page, and we all base our decisions (and yes, personal judgement of individual mods / admins does come into play), it gets a bit confusing at times - for you folks as well as for us on occasion. On the forums with dedicated moderators, admins are less likely to do anything for any but the most egregious of ToS violations, and instead leave it to the forum's assigned moderator to handle. That doesn't mean that the admins take a completely hands off approach - post goatse and an admin will pull it from any forum and probably ban the poster - but most of the time, there is just one or two people who handle the day to day stuff.

Anyway, my apologies to the forum, and to Adam, for any misunderstanding I may have inadvertently contributed to.

• Members

You're delusional.

The Effect Forum is NOT self moderating.

We have hundreds of threads in the Jail to prove it.

Sophistry. No one has claimed we're "self-moderating," and we have regularly expressed appreciation for the work Phil does and the way he does it.

EDIT: Ah, the belated crosspost... good times

• Members
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Okay, here's the deal...

Adam has been restored. Jazz put him on suspension due to the avatar, which had apparently been reported as offensive. Which honestly was news to me because the last one I remember seeing was a Disney character... but then again, I've been pretty tied up in the studio the past two days.

Anyway, I'll have a chat with him to make sure he understands he needs to select a more appropriate avatar next time, but I know Adam, and it's not going to be an issue.
:)
Part of the problem probably rests with me. Adam had sent a PM or email to me regarding the avatar issue, and when I checked, I saw nothing out of line... but it might have been a cached image of the old one I was seeing... not likely, but possible. Or maybe someone else had already changed it back to his old one and I saw it in between the two offending avatars. In any event, I take responsibility for that in so much as I didn't see anything offensive, and Adam apparently assumed it was okay to re-post it.

As far as forum moderators, I always said I wasn't looking to take over as "the mod" of this forum. I came here, and I hang out here, because I like the people here, and I have interest in the subject matter of the forum. However, as one of the site admins, I do have some responsibility to help oversee the entire HC site, so if I see something way over the line while I'm here, I have a responsibility to address it. As much as possible, I've tried to leave this as a largely "self-moderated" forum, while simultaneously trying to serve as the point of contact and the person who helps put into place what the community wants - just as long as what the community wants is withn the HC site rules / Terms of Service. Speaking of those, you can find them posted right
here.

At some point, all forums may have dedicated moderators, and if it came to that, and you wanted me to do so, I would be willing to... under the same basic structure and ground rules we've been operating under for the past several months. IOW, I wouldn't be changing much, if anything about this forum, because frankly, it's usually not much of a problem beyond the occasional flamefest or political argument.
;)

The problem is, when a reported post pertaining to an unmoderated forum comes in, several of us see it... and whomever happens to be online at the moment and gets to it first is the person who usually handles it. That means that while we all try to stay on the same page, and we all base our decisions (and yes, personal judgement of individual mods / admins does come into play), it gets a bit confusing at times - for you folks as well as for us on occasion. On the forums with dedicated moderators, admins are less likely to do anything for any but the most egregious of ToS violations, and instead leave it to the forum's assigned moderator to handle. That doesn't mean that the admins take a completely hands off approach - post goatse and an admin will pull it from any forum and probably ban the poster - but most of the time, there is just one or two people who handle the day to day stuff.

Anyway, my apologies to the forum, and to Adam, for any misunderstanding I may have inadvertently contributed to.

Thanks Phil.
You shine out in the dark like a stream of bats piss!(Python ref. before I get 86'd for that!)
Someone with a pair!!!!
So, that avatar is verboten?
And I am not trying to stir up trouble. I am asking if this is why I got banned.....IF SO, Wow! sad day!
:wave: :wave:

• Members

To complete Phil's explanation, Skunks removed the first avatar.

He then banned SWANKBOX! after seeing I suspended him.

Okay....

So someone removed the first avatar.....WHY NO PM/EXPLANATION? How the hell are we supposed to know?

I am good BUT I am no medium!

George O. would have been very proud.

This is insane!

And will you be addressing my questions I posed directly to you?

• Members

As Phil said, it's hard to communicate in real time regarding our actions.
I don't know why Skunks didn't tell the reasons he removed your avatar. This said, it seems pretty easy to understand that buttocks aren't appropriate.
As for me, I sent a detailed explanation email with the reasons BEFORE blocking you, to which you answered.
I then replied to your email.
I forwarded copies of everything to Phil.

To this minute, I haven't received but a single email from you. :)

• Members
Originally posted by SWANKBOX!

Okay....

So someone removed the first avatar.....WHY NO PM/EXPLANATION? How the hell are we supposed to know?

I am good BUT I am no medium!

George O. would have been very proud.

This is insane!

And will you be addressing my questions I posed directly to you?

Oh STFU.
:wave:

• Members

Make sure you clear everything through Tiki as he seems to speak for everybody. Being the resident forum bully/loudmouth is hard work, he needs a heads-up now and then or he throws a piss fit like he did here.

Archived