Went to a church leadership summit yesterday...

LongJohnny

• Members

I went to this summit, to volunteer as an usher for our church, which is a sattelite site for this summit. Basically there are a bunch of speakers talking about how to improve the church, and its leaders.

Bono was one of the keynote speakers, and was talking about one.org, which is one of the organizations that he works with.

It is funny that Bono was basically telling his audience that he was very apathetic to Christians, for their superiority complex, until he found out that the Christian church has given more for aid than any organization for help in the AIDS epidemic.

It was a great summit all in all.

John

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not really understanding any of the criticism. Is there something wrong with teaching abstinence as a form of defeating AIDS?

It is not the only way, but it is a good start. It is funny that people think that handing out HIV medicine has anything to do with having a negative effect on the world.

John

• Members

Originally posted by LongJohnny

Not really understanding any of the criticism. Is there something wrong with teaching abstinence as a form of defeating AIDS?

It is not the only way, but it is a good start. It is funny that people think that handing out HIV medicine has anything to do with having a negative effect on the world.

John

+1, yeah it seems like people don't realise that a pretty failsafe way to prevent the spread of STD's is to......you know ...not sleep around or even not have sex!.... seems like a crazy idea doesnt it?

• Members

Doesn't surprise me a bit. He's also the guy who wants the U.S. and E.U. to cough up more money for the Third World. Meanwhile, Bono shifts his assets to offshore tax havens to avoid paying the very taxes that he campaigns for.

Under the Irish government's last budget, artists and authors can get up to 250,000 euros ($325,000) in income tax free, but after that they pay like everyone else. The Irish Examiner reports that U2 and Bono are furious that Ireland is doing away with its law exempting artists and authors from taxation.

The Examiner reports that beginning in June of this year the group began moving parts of their business to Netherlands. The paper said now U2 pays "virtually no tax on royalties" in Holland.

Hmm....?

• Members

John

First off - do you really expect adults to abstain? I can understand trying to teach abstinance to teens, but c'mon - be serious.

And how many sermons are delivered along with the meds? You name me one Christian aid organization that doesn't have a missionary component to the aid they provide and I'll be only too happy to donate.

• Members

Originally posted by erksin

And how many sermons are delivered along with the meds? You name me one Christian aid organization that doesn't have a missionary component to the aid they provide and I'll be only too happy to donate.

So what if they do have a missionary sompnent to what they are doing? I can't really see the harm in that. Like the op said they are providing more aid tha anyone else, wheres the harm in that? People get the opportunity to learn about the christian faith?

im sure thats the last of their worries......

• Members

And is the amount of aid given dependent on the amount of conversions..?

Totally contradictory to anything Jesus ever said about helping those in need, and totally contradictory to any christian initiative I've ever heard of.

BTW, it's only catholics who believe that contraception is wrong. Protestants are largely in favour of it, although still opposed to sleeping around.

• Members

It is funny that Bono was basically telling his audience that he was very apathetic to Christians, for their superiority complex, until he found out that the Christian church has given more for aid than any organization for help in the AIDS epidemic.

Which makes complete sense if you were Irish, your father Catholic and your mother Protestant.

• Members

Originally posted by des67

So what if they do have a missionary sompnent to what they are doing? I can't really see the harm in that. Like the op said they are providing more aid tha anyone else, wheres the harm in that? People get the opportunity to learn about the christian faith?

im sure thats the last of their worries......

"Wanna feed your babies? Read this pamphlet first..."

It's disingenuous, it's patronizing, and it's insulting. Just because they are needy doesn't mean they should be asked to shed their whole belief system - suffer one more indignity. If you were in their shoes and were being helped by a Muslim aid organization, would you convert?

• Members

"Wanna feed your babies? Read this pamphlet first..."

It's disingenuous, it's patronizing, and it's insulting. Just because they are needy doesn't mean they should be asked to shed their whole belief system - suffer one more indignity. If you were in their shoes and were being helped by a Muslim aid organization, would you convert?

Really I am pretty sure that they are not asked to convert in order to receive aid.

Of course I'd not convert but I'm pretty sure I wouldnt have ti.

• Members

....If you were in their shoes and were being helped by a Muslim aid organization, would you convert?

Muslim aid organizations accounts are frozen and if not heavily scrutinized I am sure. Why? Cause they are all terrorist raising their children with the exclusive reason to blow themselves up with Diet Coke/Mentos cocktails. As an aside everybody knows how much those people in Africa like the sex, God punishes them for it with aids.

• Members

Abstinence +1!

If you don't want AIDS, abstain. If you sorta don't want AIDS, have sex with a condom.

The anti-abstinence crowd will tell you that we're just hormones and flesh and that we're incapable of using our will to make decisions.

Are Catholics the only ones against contraception? (Of course, there is NFP, which is different.) Not one of the 33,000+ denominations of Protestants are against it, also?

If so, I love it! Catholics are counter-cultural!!!

• Members

Name one Christian organization that says that you have to convert before you receive medicine?

What are those places that homeless people sleep in the inner cities??? Oh yeah, they are called missions.

If Muslims were out there helping the plight of every country in the world, rather than the "convert or we cut your head off" mantra, I am sure they would receive the same disdain.

John

• Members

Originally posted by Stackabones

Are Catholics the only ones against contraception? (Of course, there is NFP, which is different.) Not one group of Protestants are against it, also?

If so, I love it! Catholics are counter-cultural!!!

Catholics are against contraception because it threatens growth to their church. Catholics are born guilty of original sin so babies are rushed into baptism. That again is to ensure the stability and strength of the Catholic Church. A child should be old enough to know the degree of their Faith before they make such an important symbolic commitment. It is complete junk religiosity. I am saying that as a Catholic myself.

• Members

Name one Christian organization that says that you have to convert before you receive medicine?

What are those places that homeless people sleep in the inner cities??? Oh yeah, they are called missions.

If Muslims were out there helping the plight of every country in the world, rather than the "convert or we cut your head off" mantra, I am sure they would receive the same disdain.

John

Since Reagan the missions were overfilled, homeless people sleep on the street and/or homeless tent camps that are semi-officially endorsed by localities.

If Christians were out helping the plight of every country in the world, rather than the "convert or we cut your head off" mantra, I am sure they would receive the same disdain.

• Members

Thats cool. I would have loved to have been there. These ad hominem attacks condeming Bono's social justice campaigns because he wants to protect his own funds are rediculous. I think he gets alot of flak just because he is a celebrity known to be a Chrisitan who doesn't use his faith to patronize and actually uses his platform to do something good for the world while knowing what the hell he's doing. Thats about 3 things we don't see in America too often. To Bono: :thu:

However, to the Edge: :thu::thu:

Archived