recommended (gfs) pickup combo for squier 51?

• Members

all this talk of pickups has me wanting to try out a little modding.

i got a very nice 51 for cheap, and am wondering how to give it a bit more warmth and depth. i know the guitar is about snappy-tones, but mine is a bit too in that regard, especially as my lead guitar man plays a tele through a DRRI.

wondering what folks have done (delorean?) -- and if anyone else has had the express goal of rounding out the tones.

and also curious if that bridge replacement for the whopping 12 bucks is worthwhile...

many thanks for all replies.

• Members

I have two and wanted more warmth, depth and a bit of mellowness in my second...so I dropped in a Vintage Liverpool and a lipstick. Had to drill two holes in the guard so I could put screws through to crank the lipstick up where it would balance, but it was worth it. Sounds completely different and gave me what I wanted. Recommended.

• Members

i have done a combo similar to lowbrow. i have GFS retrotron memphis in the bridge and im waiting on a GFS lipstick protube for the neck. i imagine i will be doing the same mod, but im sure it will sound better than the stock strat neck pickup. im not fond of that sound much at all. i love the memphis. it is designed to be rickenbacker like with chime and jangle. someone(i cant remember who) said it sounds a little more like a firebird minihumbucker. i can see that but all i know is it sounds good. bright and sparkly clean. clear and bitey when dirty. just what i was looking for. im just going for a very bright vintage sound with this guitar.

Tim

• Members

Originally posted by cratz2

Personally, I quite like the stock single coil as well. I might replace it with something more quiet, but I'm happy with the sound.

I have been thinking of getting the black Dream 180 for the bridge though.

i love the 180 in the bridge. highly recommended.

• Members

Don't you have a blonde '51 lowbrow?

I must admit, it might be worth installing a lipstick just for looks alone... Looks VERY sweet.

How do you like the Vintage Liverpool for crunchy sounds?

Also delorean... how do you like the bottom end on crunchy sounds with the 180? That's my biggest complaint about the stock humbucker. Compared to some of my other guitars with a bridge humbucker, the HB in the 51 sounds so thin on the bottom end, sometimes I check to see if I have the switch pulled.

• Members

I put a Lollar Blackface Strat pup in the neck and a Bill Lawrence something or another in the bridge.

My new replacement bridge from GFS should be here tomorrow.

Contemplating the Dual concentric knob to add tone control,or do the Grestch style tone toggle switch.

• Members

Originally posted by cratz2

Also delorean... how do you like the bottom end on crunchy sounds with the 180? That's my biggest complaint about the stock humbucker. Compared to some of my other guitars with a bridge humbucker, the HB in the 51 sounds so thin on the bottom end, sometimes I check to see if I have the switch pulled.

well, my '51 is actually a baritone, strung A-A, and the 180 absolutely sings. handles the lows beautifully.

Archived