When it comes to effects...subtle or over the top?

Elliott Damage

Instead of just answering your question (I'm in the "whatever's appropriate for the song / arrangement" camp), may I instead make a suggestion? How about people listing songs that are good examples of over the top, or subtle effects use?

Here's one for starters - The Smiths - "How Soon Is Now?". Over the top, but brilliant IMO. Johnny Marr definitely doesn't suck. :cool:

How about Tommy James & The Shondells "Crimson And Clover"? Again, pretty over the top, but brilliant. :thu:

• Members

I play in a trio so I can't get too over the top, it just becomes noise (I know some people are into noise, I'm not). Though I'm thinking of get another guitarist, in which case I might be able to get away with a some weirder sounds.

• Members
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Instead of just answering your question (I'm in the "whatever's appropriate for the song / arrangement" camp), may I instead make a suggestion? How about people listing songs that are good examples of over the top, or subtle effects use?

Here's one for starters - The Smiths - "How Soon Is Now?". Over the top, but brilliant IMO. Johnny Marr definitely doesn't suck.
:cool:

How about Tommy James & The Shondells "Crimson And Clover"? Again, pretty over the top, but brilliant.
:thu:

Phil's making this the over the top tremolo appreciation thread!

i'll mention Explosions in the Sky. not a lot of fx, mostly just delay. but they use it effectively as subtle atmospherics or over the top washes.

me myself, i'm pretty split personality. it's either all very subtle traditional guitar sounds OR wacked out tones that barely sound like a guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by Coach

I like having a guitar sounding like a guitar for the most part. For "sounds" I prefer to use other instruments.

So mark me for "subtle"

I feel the exact same way, well put. Nowadays I am playing guitar > modded DRRI, so the only effects I use is a lot of reverb and a little tremolo from the amp.

• Members

Playing to a crowd of non musicians, subtle is comepltely lost on them, they won't notice any subtle hints of chorus in the background
If I use an effect, it is as an effect, so a fairly obvious trem or distortion or so on, make it stand out and be a part of the sing

having said that, I don't really use too much effects when playing, but thats the route I would be going

David

• Members

The more I age (and I'm not even out of my 20's yet), the more I realize that all I really need is delay and reverb. I'll screw around with lots of different modulations, and then find myself enjoying just the straight sound of guitar -> amp more than anything. The most "over the top" I get is when I have a really lush, deep reverb and then use a volume pedal to make a sort of pad-like effect.

I think the biggest thing for me is "songwriting > effects". Too much freaky modulation and I can't hear the notes I'm playing.

An example of subtle effects, brilliantly done: The Leslie on Badge. Or the Leslie on the descending arpeggios at the end of "You Never Give Me Your Money". Most people probably don't realize it's got an "effect" on it, but pull it off and it would totally change the sound and feel of the parts. :)

• Members

An example of subtle effects, brilliantly done: The Leslie on Badge. Or the Leslie on the descending arpeggios at the end of "You Never Give Me Your Money". Most people probably don't realize it's got an "effect" on it, but pull it off and it would totally change the sound and feel of the parts.
:)

Ahh...what do YOU know.
:rolleyes:

:o

:wave:

• Members

Here's one for starters - The Smiths - "How Soon Is Now?". Over the top, but brilliant IMO. Johnny Marr definitely doesn't suck.
:cool:

How about Tommy James & The Shondells "Crimson And Clover"? Again, pretty over the top, but brilliant.
:thu:

Definitely, over-the-top can be great, tastefully and creatively done. Subtle can be great too.

Over-the-top:
MBV's Loveless album

Understated:
anything by Jeff Buckley

I don't really think the amount of effects pedals you use has anything to do with how good or bad a song is. The biggest thing is to do whatever you're doing tastefully and creatively.

• Members
Originally posted by murch33

The more I age (and I'm not even out of my 20's yet), the more I realize that all I really need is delay and reverb. I'll screw around with lots of different modulations, and then find myself enjoying just the straight sound of guitar -> amp more than anything. The most "over the top" I get is when I have a really lush, deep reverb and then use a volume pedal to make a sort of pad-like effect.

I think the biggest thing for me is "songwriting > effects". Too much freaky modulation and I can't hear the notes I'm playing.

You gotta stop writing songs that require notes then :p.

Archived