How much importance do you place on a pedal's cosmetics?

inlifeisdeath

• Members

Well I am about to plop down some cash for a relatively old M.I Audio Crunchbox. Everything works excellent, except that it's beat up.

Scratched and all. Looks kinda awful.

So how much importance do you place on cosmetics? Do you care how pristine your pedals look like?

I mean, yes, tone and working condition is foremost, but does it bug you that your pedal looks like a deformed dick?

• Members

You guys are making me feel better. Since I've just agreed on the deal.

Thanks, I guess I just need some support. I'm sure it sounds wimpy, but sometimes I just need some sense to be knocked into me.

But I'm sure you do care a bit if it looks like it's been through a dicer. :D:p

• Members

the only time it concerns me is if the cosmetic abuse is indicative of internal damage. paint chips all over usually just means that the previous owner carried his pedals around in a duffle bag, though, so the insides are usually fine. pedal paint chips SO easily. if the pedal has big dings, chunks missing from the metal, etc... i may be a bit more leary. i just bought a beat old boss vb-2 that works like a damn dream. paint chips all over and i love it. i thikn pedals, amps and guitars all look much better when they've sustained some road-wear.

• Members

I'm with the other guys.... It's just something you step on. A lot of the pedals I've had the longest and like the most have the most scratches and stuff obviously, because they've been to the most gigs. Of course, on the flip side, if something's all scratched up it could be that someone beat the {censored} out of it in a bad way and it could be damaged internally... Seems pretty rare to me though. Most times I see pedals all scratched up it's because they sound awesome and are used a lot. :cool:

• Members

Used- it has to be clean. I dont want something that smells or looks like the cat puked on it.

New- If the pedal looks cool, then that helps me justify the price tag. The Dr Scientist pedals are really cool looking. The wife thinks they are cute and wants you to get one. Also, if the looks are good, then you know that the builder takes some pride in their pedals. Imo.

• Members

Originally posted by scott_335

Used- it has to be clean. I dont want something that smells or looks like the cat puked on it.

New- If the pedal looks cool, then that helps me justify the price tag. The Dr Scientist pedals are really cool looking. The wife thinks they are cute and wants you to get one. Also, if the looks are good, then you know that the builder takes some pride in their pedals. Imo.

+1 on all accounts.

• Members

Well, seeing as I'm a visual artist, ugly pedals anger me. As much as looks shouldn't be important, every damn time I look down at an ugly pedal I cringe. A pedal should be stylish, but functional. If you over do it, it looks like a toy (Danelectro, Digitech's recent {censored}); likewise, if it has a cheap-o Microsoft Word font on there, it implies the pedal makers don't give a {censored} (unless it's boutique). I'll still give it a shot, but I'm not gonna' feel too optomistic.

Like, I really like the sound of the Rocktron Tremolo, but the idea of it standing umongst "my boys" is upsetting.

Originally posted by Wilbo26

Dark_Helmet.jpg

Absolutely nothing!

I love you.

• Members

I care about it more than I probably should.
I am a big fan of beat to {censored} (still functioning perfectly) gear.
Something that bothers me a lot is stupid shapes. Roctron for example. I'll never own one, unless it was for a rehouse project.
I guess like others have said, stupid graphics piss me off too.
For boss pedals the more beat to {censored} the better :thu:
I also hate stupid knobs.
I think the Klon is a sexy pedal. Simple, original housing.
Also Skreddy and Dr S. pedals are superb
Love the Pitch Pirate.

• Members

i care alot of esthetics, but not how beat up they are.

i buy stuff to play it. playing it means it will be used, and my big muff reissue is used und looks like one fella from the 70's cause i used it and its ok. i love the look of a used guitar it has mojo.

but i can't stand some design and looks of some pedals/amps or guitars...
e.g. i hate the ibanez 5 soundtank series, i don't care about the plastic, but they look so stupid, i have almost from every ibanez generation a pedal and like the look, but none of the 5 series.

also roger mayer stuff looks somehow strange, and to big fur just a fuzz... and lots of others i would buy cause they look stupid.

but if something origanilly look nice, and now has some wear i don't care.

• Members

Originally posted by inlifeisdeath

Well I am about to plop down some cash for a relatively old M.I Audio Crunchbox. Everything works excellent, except that it's beat up.

Scratched and all. Looks kinda awful.

So how much importance do you place on cosmetics? Do you care how pristine your pedals look like?

I mean, yes, tone and working condition is foremost, but does it bug you that your pedal looks like a deformed dick?

"beat but sweet" is fine with me. I wouldnt pay "minty" prices for it though.

• Members

of the factors that lead me to buy a pedal; tone, usefulness, value, size, price, etc. - I'd say that aesthetics are probably on the bottom
but - when I'm debating b/w two pedals that are running neck and neck, it becomes really important
I like cool looking pedals

but I'm just speaking about new pedals
I don't really have anything to say about used ones
I haven't delved into the vintage world of effects at this point
I suppose I would want them to be in reasonable condition, but it wouldn't be a huge deal breaker if the price was right

Archived