SG-1 on the Bay

paydirt

• Members

How much do SG-1's typically go for then? There's a guy down here trying to shift one for the equivalent of about $250 US...... good price? Not that I'm that interested.... might be good to hook up a US bidder cause noone in New Zealand is gonna pay that for a boss pedal. Sad but true.

• Members

its a very specific effect that does something. isn't that enough?

no, but really, there's not many pedals that do this same thing, and people for some reason dig it. so people fight over them, god knows why.

i would go for the clone if anyone is at all interested, hell, even the pre-built ones are way cheaper and TB. unless you care about board cool points and you wanna show off your underground pedal cred.

Originally posted by jalfredprufrock

Is there any reason someone would need this pedal other than the "coolness" factor? Does it do anything besides the volume swell? Did someone famous play one? I just don't understand the hype around these things.

I've probably owned three or four of them over the years... starting back when they were first released. NO ONE was using them back then... I don't think I can recall anyone else having one on their board besides me, so maybe I'm the guy who started that particular vintage pedal craze... ;):p:D Seriously, I think they're good for three things: Whale sounds, "violining" (ala Phil Keaggy / pinky on the Strat's volume knob style volume swells) and faux pedal steel type swells. It's a cool pedal, but I don't think the price they go for has as much to do with sonics (you can get the same or very similar effects from other, much less expensive pedals) as it does with their relative rarity.

• Members
Originally posted by Ray20

I'm pretty sure people buy the SG-1 just for the novelty of having the only black boss pedal that doesn't suck

Hey sucka..... what about the HM-2?

:eek:

$350 For and SG-1? {censored}... what a waste.

• Members

Originally posted by lostandfoundpdx

its a very specific effect that does something. isn't that enough?

no, but really, there's not many pedals that do this same thing, and people for some reason dig it. so people fight over them, god knows why.

i would go for the clone if anyone is at all interested, hell, even the pre-built ones are way cheaper and TB. unless you care about board cool points and you wanna show off your underground pedal cred.

go for the guyatone slow volume. i play one last week, yawn...

Originally posted by BrianPhase90

Alex Lifeson used an SG-1 on the Solo to Rush's "LimeLight"

thats where the pedal gets some of its rediculous fame... the Guyatone SV-2 and BYOC do the SAME thing...

Yup... and cost a heck of a lot less. IIRC, some of the Boss multieffects include the volume envelope effect too. :)

Archived