Guess the boutique Tubescreamer

g3rmanium

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think this test says much about the pedals used, but more that the signal is as good as the weakest link, in this case the VF11.

I'd love to hear this test with a good tubeamp, which is the only way to judge the pedals. If I still prefer the Arion, I'm ordering one right away.

Jan

• Members
Originally posted by threm

Btw

The #2 is more meaty but nobody can tell from this clip if the extra meat is worth the additional $200.

I can officially trust my ears. Glad to know.

That must mean that I`m also right when I stubbornly and continously claim that the Klon does something no other pedal does.

;)

• Members
Originally posted by stereotypy

i am glad your ears are that great. i just paid for a stage hog v6 you "sold" me to... by trusting your ears
:D

I really hope you`ll like it! You should but give it time as there are lots of tweaking options to optimize it for your setup (equing, different tubes). I believe the pedal is really a work of love and passion. At least I can feel it but may be I`m the hyper sensitive guy. :cry:

• Members
Originally posted by stereotypy

what tube do you have put inside?

Actually I don`t remember right now but I believe I changed the first tube (AX7) with a AT7 for less gain as the Boost mode gave enough gain, especially when driving it with a booster or another OD.

You saw that thread over at TGP discussing the tubes, right?

From the thread

"Mark ships the latests SH with a 12DW7 power tube.

4004=12AX7
4024=12AT7

You can try a 12AX7, 12AT7, 5751, 12AY7 or 12AU7 in the pre slot and a 12DW7 or 12AU7 in the power slot. I tried most of the permutations and found the 12AY7/ 12DW7 best for a plexi crunch into a clean Marshall."

---------------

"As the Stage Hog is a full tube amp I took the trouble to track
down the best tubes I could find for it.
I loaded it with:

Mullard 12DW7 - in the power tube section
either Mullard 4004/4024/12AU7 in the preamp section.

Holy crap! With these tube upgrades the Hog has no peer
in drive/dirt pedals. I now only keep my Honeybee around
for its headroom-lowering effect and stackability. I need no
other dist pedals.

The Mullard 12AU7 in particular gives a massive range of chewy,
greasy low to mid gain options.
I say again. The Stage Hog is the end of my pedal road."

---------------

"Ditto

I'm using an RCA 12DW7 and Mullard 12AY7. The lead setting is set to give me a Marshall cranked tone thru a clean Marshall and the normal setting boost my Bruno Twedy Pie."

"Mullard CV4004 (12AX7) for high gain applications.
This will give you the chunkiest response with that magic "rip" high freq overtones hanging in the air as you play. Use this tube in the preamp slot for modded Marshall or SLO-type tones."

----------------

"Mullard ecc 83 will produce mid to high gain in the Hog. I found thatswapping the stock JJ's to Mullards removed all trace of grainy, buzzy, smallish sounding preamp distortion. Now its just natural, musical gain. With the Mullards in the Hog it sounds like you are "amp stacking", like many people do with BJF pedals, versus front-ending an ampwith a pedal.

The Mullards will give you the last 10% of perfect performance out
of the Stage Hog. When I loaded them up in the Hog I heard the
difference from the first chord, and knew I had arrived."

01-surprise.jpg

and then to all on a tighter budget but with a spare amp around:
AnalogMike`s post in the same thread

"I always wondered when someone would build something like this, it's a fabulous idea and it sounds like he did it right!

However if you already have a small amp that distorts nicely, in addition to your main amp, you can do the same thing. I got this idea from Steve Kimock. Steve runs a little old De Armond amp as a preamp to his Dumbles and Two Rocks. You just need to attach wires to the little amp's speaker, through a pot to set volume, then to your main amp. I made a little box with terminals to clip on the speakers, running to a pot, and a switch so I could use it on any of my small amps. It sounds HUGE like that, I have tried it with my tweed champ and my DeArmond.

Or if you don't have a small amp try the stage hog!"

-----------------

"Originally Posted by halted
analogmike,

Would the speaker ohms make any difference in how to put together that little box? Is that what the switch is for?

Or is it literally just two wires from the the + and - speaker terminals on the small amp to the volume pot to the instrument cable into the bigger amp's input?

And should the volume pot be a 500k or something else?"

"Speaker ohms really make no difference. My switch was to disconnect it (turns it off). Your description above is about right, just need to use the pot as a voltage divider to get the small amp's output down to something to match the big amp's input. I dont remember what I used but 500K could work, if that's too limiting try 100k.

One more thing - polarity makes a difference as one lug of the speaker is often ground, the other one should go through the pot to the center of your patch cord to the big amp.
have fun!"

• Members

i think this was flawed from the beginning...

i doubt when recording you wanted to make them sound the same... there must be a little something of you wanting to make the cheap pedal sound better....

personnaly even though i voted for number 1 i would still prefer 2 now just cos you told me it was eternity...

there is something special about having something no one else does. thats $200 of mojo id be willing to spend...

• Members

Originally posted by JDandCoke

i think this was flawed from the beginning...

i doubt when recording you wanted to make them sound the same... there must be a little something of you wanting to make the cheap pedal sound better....

personnaly even though i voted for number 1 i would still prefer 2 now just cos you told me it was eternity...

there is something special about having something no one else does. thats $200 of mojo id be willing to spend...

If you preferred number 1, why would you go for number 2 just based on the name/price? That's kind of silly, don't you think?

Archived