ICBM or Skreddy Mayo?

Vince

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by derek_32999

+1 on this. Skreddy and ICBM are both great, but for the price/tone factor, I go for DA MOAF.

Do they go real cheap used or something?

Originally posted by rockboxuk

dont bother going the expensive boutique route. Seriously the new little big muff is built nicely and sounds better than all the boutique muffs in my experiance. Boutique muffs are kind of an oxymoron at the moment when you have such a good sounding pedal as the little big muff.

Have you actually played either of those two booteek fuzzes?

• Members
Originally posted by greeny

Instant Crap

:rolleyes:

IC stands for integrated circuit. Which is an opamp chip.

IC Big Muffs (and therefore ICBM Fuzzes) have a 741 chip and a 4558 in them instead of the transistors the rest of the muffs have.

• Members

dont bother going the expensive boutique route. Seriously the new little big muff is built nicely and sounds better than all the boutique muffs in my experiance. Boutique muffs are kind of an oxymoron at the moment when you have such a good sounding pedal as the little big muff.

I didn't like the Little Big Muff I had. I've played a lot of Muffs, and I can generally get an impression of one within a few minutes of plugging it in. The ICBM and Skreddy Zero were both instant winners, along with about 50% of the vintage green muffs I've had and all three vintage blue/gray muffs I've tried. The Little Big Muff went up on eBay shortly after it arrived at my apartment.

I know Analog Mike was working on some mods for the LBM...there are plenty of things that can be improved on it. I might try one again once he's doing those more widely.

• Members

you got a dud, its a big muff through and through. If you don't like the sound then you won't like the pedal. I know you like the sound so I assume you had a dud. To be honest as well I also think the black muff, the green muff and the usa reissue all sounded better than any clone. Each were a slightly different flavor of the muff but preserved the true nature of the muff. The clones imo miss the mojo the magic dust. They get similiar tones and sound good but in a almost tame sterile kind of way. Analogman has mods to make it sound like the big box usa reissue which is actually simple since the pedal is very close already. The triangle mod he is working on should be fookin awesome.

• Members
Originally posted by MrSage

:rolleyes:

IC stands for integrated circuit. Which is an opamp chip.

Really? I thought it was supposed to be a play on text message culture.

ICBM = I see Big Muff, you know, irony....

Unless you can find one used the Skreddy is $40 more than the ICBM and has an 8 week waiting list. The ICBM could be shipped to you tommorrow.

• Members

The Skreddy pedals offer improvements on the Big Muff tone for those people who are looking for something better. Maybe that's not you & there's nothing wrong with that, Billy Corgan would probably be chanting right there along your side, but there some very real shortcomings that the Mayo & Top Fuel take care of.

• Members

Originally posted by Eric Dahlberg

The Skreddy pedals offer improvements on the Big Muff tone for those people who are looking for something better. Maybe that's not you & there's nothing wrong with that, Billy Corgan would probably be chanting right there along your side, but there some very real shortcomings that the Mayo & Top Fuel take care of.

Omg, i'm gassin bad for a mayo..

• Members

I haven't tried the Skreddy but I can tell you about the Muffs I've owned or have spent some time with lately. I tend to use muffs for leads and usually but not always run them after a Keeley/Ibanez TS-9.

MJM Foxey Fuzz - I love this muff, but it is quite noisey. It's the loudest, most aggresive muff of the bunch. The three knobs have large sweeps, so it's versatile. Vol. has a big boost, tone has a very large sweep.

ICBM Fuzz - This one is sweet sounding, much quiteter than the MJM, much more tame, a little more transparent, less boost, less tone sweep.

Little Big Muff - Somewhere between the MJM and the ICBM, this is the first fuzz to knock my MJM Foxey fuzz off my pedalboard in three years. It's a bit smoother than the Foxey but not as tame as the ICBM

Frantone Peachfuzz - This one is a different animal all together. Much less transpartent than the three above. It seems to have some kind of compression and noise gate . I like it for recording, even on bass guitar, but it tends to get lost in the mix when playing with a live band.

• Members

The big muff is my favourite pedal. I have an original IC muff and a US RI at the moment. Had a Rams head until recently but I sold it. I'm firmly of the opinion that all muffs Ive tried sound extremely similar and that the US RI is an excellent pedal.

Classic muff sounds are the vintage ones. They differ between each other as much as the do with reissues (which is not a lot) If boutique muffs sound much different to the EH Reissues then they can't be very muffish. I've only heard an ICMB of the boutiques, and guess what, it sounded just like a big muff! Main advantages are build quality and bypass.

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

Really? I thought it was supposed to be a play on text message culture.

ICBM = I see Big Muff, you know, irony....

Nope. It was like when Noah Vanderhoff came up with the name "Noah's Arcade" in Wayne's World...he just opened his mouth and out it came!

Integrated Circuit Big Muff...IC Big Muff...ICBM.

• Members

Originally posted by gold_soundz

Classic muff sounds are the vintage ones. They differ between each other as much as the do with reissues (which is not a lot) If boutique muffs sound much different to the EH Reissues then they can't be very muffish.

Originally posted by Rick James

Of course I wouldn't just randomly grind my boots into somebody's couch like that. Yeah, I remember grinding my boots into his couch.

Archived