ICBM or Skreddy Mayo?

Vince

• Members

I've got a fuzz factory, but I'm craving big muff style fuzzes more and more for smooth lead sounds.

I have a BD-2 for rhythm, so it'll be mainly used for leads. Must sound ace into and AC30. So which would you go for and why, and has anyone got either for sale or trade?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Teahead

I tried the ICBM with my AC30 and hated it, well, perhaps hate is too strong... but I really found it to be a bloated & mushy disappointment.

To put that into some context, I really don't enjoy Muff style fuzz anyway.

I like mine into an AC-15.

And The Edge uses his IC Muff with AC-30s...

It's all a matter of taste!

• Members

I have them both. I don't really think they're that similiar, but they both have features about them that I like. I've had both of them for a while, I really need to get around to selling one of them or another and get a new muff clone to compare them too.

It depends on what style of lead you play, though I think muffs are generally a rhythm machine.

• Members
Originally posted by HMCMedic

I have never played the ICBM or Skreddy. I think the Euthymia pedal line is top knotch. I do own a few Muffs (reissue, russian, vintage) I picked up one of the new Little Big Muffs and I love that in my AC30, especially with mini humbuckers.

40731-electroharmonix-littlebigmuff.jpg

Any tone suck on that thing?

• Members

Originally posted by Vince

Any tone suck on that thing?

Nah, not really. I use a Barber Tone Press though in front of all my other pedals and I have a DL4 in the chain and you can't hear any suckage when the Tone Press is on and set up right. I swear that Barber Tone Press is one of the greatest pedals on the planet:)

• Members
Originally posted by HMCMedic

I have never played the ICBM or Skreddy. I think the Euthymia pedal line is top knotch. I do own a few Muffs (reissue, russian, vintage) I picked up one of the new Little Big Muffs and I love that in my AC30, especially with mini humbuckers.

40731-electroharmonix-littlebigmuff.jpg

I love Big Muffs in many flavors...

But I didn't really like that one for some reason.

I actually haven't tried a USA reissue muff, so I can't compare to that, but it wasn't as wooly as my Green Russians, not as clear as my ICBM, and not as balzey as my Skreddy Zero.

• Members

Originally posted by Vince

Oooh! Which songs?? If it's Vertigo, then I'm sold!!!

Oh, and to answer your question, that's one of those mysteries no one really knows the answer to...but if I had to guess, I'd say he's using it on "Bullet the Blue Sky" and "Love is Blindness" and songs like that.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

dont bother going the expensive boutique route. Seriously the new little big muff is built nicely and sounds better than all the boutique muffs in my experiance. Boutique muffs are kind of an oxymoron at the moment when you have such a good sounding pedal as the little big muff.

• Members

Originally posted by rockboxuk

dont bother going the expensive boutique route. Seriously the new little big muff is built nicely and sounds better than all the boutique muffs in my experiance. Boutique muffs are kind of an oxymoron at the moment when you have such a good sounding pedal as the little big muff.

I have the LBM and I agree, but it's not very versatile like the Mayo (at least in the sense of the mid switch). I'm still thinking I'd like to try an ICBM though, just to see the differences first hand. Then again, what do I know? I decided not to buy a Rat and save my money for an FKR.

Archived