It's Started....Vista Incompatibility Hall of Shame

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
It sounds like Mac users have a lot of the same concerns about a new OS.

Of course they do.

I'm still running OS 10.2.8 because Apple doesn't offer free upgrades across major releases (to 10.3.x or 10.4.x). In the past I've always waited two generations before upgrading; I skipped OS 8 entirely (went from 7.5 to 9) and only moved from OS 9 to OS X because I bought a new machine that came with it installed.

I didn't need a new OS until recently. The latest QuickTime requires 10.4 so now I can't view any videos that are coded to use new QT features. I also switched browsers from Safari to Firefox because of Mapquest :eek: The latest Mapquest features require the latest Safari which requires 10.4 but will work with Firefox in 10.2.8. Many other free apps I use all the time can't be upgraded any more unless I move to 10.4.

Of course it would be stupid to buy 10.4 now with 10.5 coming in a few months. I probably will upgrade to 10.5 (assuming it will run on the 3 Macs in my house) but I will be POed if I need to install yet more RAM to do so.

As far as music software, I regularly use some Yamaha apps that were never ported from OS 9 to OS X so last year I finally bought an XP laptop to keep running them when my OS 9 box started failing, now Yamaha has announced they will not be porting those apps to Vista either :mad:

• Members

Well, success story it is actually. I haven't had a single problem other than not having a driver for the M-Audio Delta 44. I already knew there wasn't one available though, so I moved it to another system for now. (M-Audio is "working" on Vista drivers.)

Anyway, I'm running 64 bit, and not a crash, or software incompatibility yet. (granted I don't have a ton on here, but I've got working ASIO drivers, sequencer, MIDI interface, and plenty of games working) My software synths are all working as well.

So, I guess the only thing to be cautious about is whether or not your hardware has Vista drivers for the version you install.

It's a pretty slick OS really. Some fluff, some blatant Apple ripoffs, some truly cool items, decent security (though I've disabled some of it for various reasons.) Overall it's not bad. I actually worked on Vista for a little while in the very early stages, so I'm fairly impressed with how good it is, (based on the disgusting pile of yuck that it was before.)

I don't think I'd recommend it yet for anyone's audio-only PC until there are more drivers available, but it's definitely stable and fun.

• Members

On my main audio PC I use Cubase SX3. The Vista box is my game PC primarily, but I also write music on it. I use Reaper for sequencing and recording. (cheap, but full featured) I'm running Battery, Bassline, Plasticz, Massive, Albino, Drumatic on this machine. I also have a couple of Waves plugins on here.

(so basically, a small mixture of free/cheap/commercial stuff)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Members

Vista among everything else is slow, hard to word with, and above all illegal in my eyes.

Supporters must not realize they are helping in the conspiracy to make 32 bit obsolete.

As an author I write with a 2003 Office Word for Windows XP. It allows me to write in book form the way it would eventually be published. Having everything aligned as pages of a book allows for wording and inserted pictures to look exactly as it would printed. However, writing pages just to be writing and adding pictures to text causes myself and publishers a great many problems. It was a simple program now obsolete. Not to mention those programs were ordinary, easy to use, and always available as choices. Not 64 bit technology. It's way beyond free. An upgrade that may or may not work cost $299 and a total conversion cost $1,695. Now every supporter from the biggest National News Networks, Churches, Health, Home, Ect. are employing only the use of 10.4 64 bit technology. Why? Am I the only that see's that this move should be considered illegal?: :mad:

• Members

About a month ago I built a Windows 7 64 bit machine (6 gig RAM, SSD) for my wife, to replace her old machine. My wife's machine kicks my Windows XP 32 bit studio machine's butt. :lol:

Windows 7 seriously eliminated a lot of the issues with Vista, it's good stuff now. It's still not as power user friendly as I'd like, but most people aren't power users.

• Members

Folks still runnig XP?

I gave up with XP a few months ago and took the plunge to Win7/64 with a new PC etc (4Ghz i7, 6GB ram). Turning out pretty decent for audio production and means I can throw alot more memory at even 32 bit DAWs while 64 bit sorts its life out etc. It can even run my RME UFX at its minimum audio buffer size (48 samples) reliably in busy projects.

XP is measurably better for audio in some ways (DPC latency is way way lower for eg), but I havnt been able to detect a difference in real use performance on a dual boot (XP and Win7/64) running ableton live and 32 bit cubase, so dont use XP at all now.

• Members

I bought a new HP Windows 7 machine November 2010. Machine has not been online- just use in my studio. The experience has been awful.

I have learned a few things the hard way: 1) Could not use my Delta 44 soundcard because the PC that I bought did not accept the older PCI cards. 2) bought a Presonus Firewire sound card. It took me a week to get this thing to run without dropouts. 3)My primary application, Sonar Producer 6, ran horribly on Windows 7. Too many problems to describe. 4) Took awhile for me to figure out that I had to right click on applications, and select "run as administrator". If I did not do this, lots of functionality of the program would disappear. This is a real pain in the neck 5)It would have been a lot easier, if I had this machine on line. ALL of my software had to be upgraded, reregistered, etc. This was the most time consuming thing.

The other day, I upgraded Sonar to X1. Installation was a snap. So far, so good. My advice is to budget for new software when you are buying a new machine.

• Members

And this is the headache with Windows I guess. For someone who know what to expect and what they need to do first and can choose the parts and build a decent reliable machine with the rigth chipsets etc, life can be good, for others who dont know - its a real pain and a bit of a voyage of dicovery and at worst a dead end :(

For me by contrast - everything has just worked fine straight away for me - for Live and Cubase 6 (32 and 64 bit), NI Traktor scratch pro, two NI audio interfaces (AK1 and 8DJ), the RME audio interface, NI Maschine and Kore 2, Virus TI and a whole bunch of other controllers and software. But then its a custom machine build with every part selected to at least be likely to yield a reliable computer. And yes - user account control is a right pain in terms of the subtle effects it causes. Yor choice of AV softwrae can be one of the worst DAW killers as well - I use ESET (http://www.eset.co.uk/) which I have found to be both very good at catching things and very low impact on the restt fo the machine, unless you happen to have yamaha mlan stuff running (and as 01x users all got totally {censored}ed over by yamaha, then you aint going to have that running on win7 anyway )

TBH while Im happy building a good windows desktop machine - I absolutely do not trust windows laptop for music, so waiting to see what Apple come up with on their next macbookpro refresh in arpril/may to sort myself out with a performance laptop. Was looking at the current 17" MBP, but need something that can run windows 7 completely as well, so hopeing the next refresh will improve things a bit. For windows laptops, to date I have found 2 that are OK - Lenovo T61P and some acer laptop - bth now quite old and therefore slow models.

• Members
I bought a new HP Windows 7 machine November 2010.

One of the big problems with Windows machines in general is that the "big box" pre-fab ones tend to be awful. Companies like HP or Dell have a knack of skimping out on hardware, putting cheap crap in; and then loading PCs with crappy bloatware on top of that, programs that don't do a whole lot but consume gobs of memory and/or CPU.

This is one of the things that makes for Apple fanboys I guess: you can buy a computer from a known brand and, out of the box, it works rather well. Why other companies don't follow their example, I don't know. :mad: You can build a Windows PC that works rather well out of the box, too, if you build it yourself or get it from somebody who knows what they are doing.

• Members

My quad core has XP Pro, and 3M has a very large number of XP machines still in service, including my engineering laptop. My octa-core z600 workstation came with Win7 and 24GB on it. It is so very nice to be able to do those in core ray traces. Lambda research developed a 64 bit multi-threaded version of Tracepro and it has changed the way I think about optical modeling in terms of what kinds of numerical experiments I can try and/or systems I can design by modeling. I have heard that the workstations coming out now have 12 cores.

• Members

you can buy a computer from Apple and, out of the box, it works rather well. Why other companies don't follow their example, I don't know.
:mad:

Because if Windows machines were built as well as Apple, they wouldn't be any cheaper!!!

Price actually has a lot to do with Windows dominance, spec-wise you do get more for your money.

At work I use an "enterprise class" HP laptop. These cost more than the consumer machines but are designed to be easily maintained, using stable parts, etc. and guess what...they cost as much as Macs :(

• Members

I will once again post this link illustrating that both Asus and Toshiba beat Apple in terms of reliability over a three year time period. Also Dell is not that much worse than Apple. Apple does not use components that are necessarily better than the other manufacturers, and they work to shave every penny off the cost of each subsystem in a laptop (iPod, iPad) just like all the other manufacturers. I don't want to turn this into an Apple vs PC thread like so many others, but just want to point out once more that in terms of hardware reliability you can buy a PC-based system that is projected to compete head-to-head or outperform. The main objective reason to choose Apple is for the software that you want personally, including the operating system, and not the hardware. Also I am not sure whether the study includes enterprise class machines as described above or laptops from smaller builders like ADK. Whenever I have priced out an ADK laptop I have always ended up in high end Mac laptop range or higher.

Besides price another hit 3M takes for enterprise class laptops is that we are always at least one generation behind the state-of-the-art. When my dual core engineering notebook was delivered it was possible already to buy a Core i7-based laptop. Also the Quadro FX series graphics card in my laptop was classified by nVidia at the time as "Mid range". However for visualization of 3D geometries in TracePro and 3D faceted surface and contour plots in Tecplot and Matlab it is perfectly fine and it works fine for the guys running CAD programs too (I have read CAD files into TracePro with thousands of individual parts and zoomed around no problem). The card is perfectly stable and has application certified drivers for many CAD programs which is the main thing (not uber gaming frame rates or whatever). So we trade off the delay in generation for stability and maintainability of the hardware and the software. Our IT dept has to handle thousands of computers and laptops, and quite frankly for work I don't want to worry about operating system and anti-virus update pushes and whatnot; I rely on them to handle all of that (when I started I was using Unix/Irix and we had to do all the OS stuff ourselves which sucks time away from doing physics).

• Members

Because if Windows machines were built as well as Apple, they wouldn't be any cheaper!!!

I'm gonna have to take issue with this claim. :cop:

I have a Mac Mini at work; It died suddenly one day, refused to even power up. Off to the shop it went. The wired keyboard (the fancy flat aluminum one) developed a habit of forgetting what the "u" key was, and then would proceed to send a constant stream of them, making typing useless. Replaced the keyboard. the other day I went to pop a DVD into it to upgrade the OS, and Voila! the drive made a horrible racket for a solid minute and then spit out the disc with nary an error message or anything. Look like another repair's in order.

2 repairs and 1 pending on a machine that gets used maybe a week out of a month.

In related news, I got a replacement mouse, their so-called "magic mouse". I haven't used a mouse with such poor ergonomics EVER. I returned it.

So, as far as Apple building better equipment goes, I have serious doubts.

Archived