It's Started....Vista Incompatibility Hall of Shame

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anyone have the list of software that still doesn't run on Mac?

;)

The problem with having alot of software run on your O.S. is that when you get a new O.S. , you have to wait for companies to update their software.

Mac users don't have that problem since they have 10% of the choice of the PC software world.

• Members

Well, seeing that XP can now run on a Mac, and that the chips are finally equal, and that there's lots of stuff in place to make any transitions and porting easier...

but let's tell you a famous quote again.

Use a PC. Use a Mac. Use a wax cylinder for all I care. Linkin Park isn't better for using ProTools just as The White Stripes isn't better for using an 8-track reel-to-reel.
If you sit there and spew forth how your PC is faster and cheaper than my Mac, all you're really saying is "Hey, look at me! I'm not making music tonight!
"

• Members
Well, seeing that XP can now run on a Mac, and that the chips are finally equal, and that there's lots of stuff in place to make any transitions and porting easier...

but let's tell you a famous quote again.

And that quote doesn't apply to Mac fanboys posting about what software doesn't work on Vista yet?

:idea:

• Members

Agreed.
:freak:

... and do we really believe Bill when he says it's the most secure OS?

I call BS. Most secure Windows to date perhaps (which isn't saying alot)

So is he saying we can kiss goodbye to weekly security updates, anti-spyware programs, anti-virus software, no additional firewall?

sieve.jpg

Er...no

• Members
Yamaha has posted the
compatibility list for their software running under Vista
and the unsupported list includes
all
the editors for the PLG boards, the TWE sample editor and a few older drivers.

Back on topic a little: what makes me a bit more nervous than softsynths or plugins even, are all those little 'utility' programs that you come to rely on.

Editing programs, utilities for transferring unit specific patches, and ya - even those programs that you need to maintain pieces of hardware.
Soundcards, synths, mixers, effects - a lot of the stuff we use sometimes rely on these little programs.
Not to mention all the companies who aren't around anymore.

I hope we don't end up with too many 'orphans' in the music world because of Vista. :(

• Members

About two weeks ago we picked up a laptop for work, got a Sony Viao and the thing is fantastic. Last night we hit Best Buy to get a second one, and gee whiz... they no longer sell any machines with XP. The sales dude found one lone machine a few hundred miles from here with XP and is having it shipped in.

• Members

I don't even run a virus checker as there isn't a need to even with a machine that does email and internet. It's very easy to turn off a few features in your email client and web browser and you don't have to worry about viruses or spyware.

Could you tell me how, please, or refer me to info that explains how? Viruses and spyware are the main reason I've avoided buying a PC instead of a Mac. Thanks.

• Members

Could you tell me how, please, or refer me to info that explains how?

Viruses and spyware are 2 separate things, but the borders are blurring. The difference is mainly that one is not consensual and the other is. After all, you've clicked on a link, clicked OK while you shouldn't have, or agreed to get some shady application with pretty unreal promises that in return thinks it's a great thing to tell its originating company all about your browsing habits.

The attack vectors are similar. Shady files and executables with "extras" tacked on that are either downloaded and executed under water (in the guise of an ActiveX plugin) or are part of some browser helper app. Spyware's main goal is to spread, gather, and annoy; a virus nowadays is mainly so someone else can use your computer as a bot.

Viruses and spyware are the main reason I've avoided buying a PC instead of a Mac. Thanks.

There's 2 things that make these pests rare on a Mac:

- the browser doesn't get all-powerful rights (while every random person gets administrator access to XP - when you install it for the first time and it asks you who else is going to use this computer - well, all those people are instantly promoted to admin).

- the percentage of Macs in the total pool of computers

- the fact that regular scripting or executable code just doesn't work on Macs

Once you see 2 going up, expect similar crap. In fact, the attitude that "nothing can hurt my Mac" is exactly the thing that'll allow for most of the attacks in the start. The dashboard widgets may be the feature that turns malicious.

Anyway, to avoid things:

- don't open random attachments (one of the main causes)

- use a hardware firewall (always a good idea)

- don't use a leaky browser

- don't run as administrator (Unix sort of forces this on you - and OS X does too, ever heard of the sudo command?)

- don't think you need a toolbar - browsers have these built in and all of 'm are vastly superior to the crapware most companies offer.

- don't think you need a filesharing application - those usually come with nasty extras, plus you'll open yourself up wide for litigation.

If you want to stay completely safe, just use a secondary computer that's allowed to be "filthy", make an image once you have a fresh and clean install, and wipe it every month or so. This is also good for studio discipline; you won't waste time with forums while you're making music ;).

• Members

Running Vista, Linux, XP, and osx on 3 different machines everything works great and im loving vista(which is a little late to osx). Also I'd like to note the only virus ive ever received was the love bug a few years back, other than that ive been connected to the net since 1991 and nothing.

• Members

Running Vista, Linux, XP, and osx on 3 different machines everything works great and im loving vista(which is a little late to osx). Also I'd like to note the only virus ive ever received was the love bug a few years back, other than that ive been connected to the net since 1991 and nothing.

Similar situation here. I don't run AV software at all either. (can't stand apps running in the background) It's quite simple, don't open email attachments from people you don't know, (or from people you know, but don't know how to operate computers.) Be fairly certain of the files you're downloading. It's not hard to keep your system clean.

Can also disable or set to prompt for scripts and activex stuff. I'm doing my Vista install tomorrow. Seriously doubt I'll run into a single issue.

• Members

Seriously doubt I'll run into a single issue.

Just out of curiosity, what "legacy" software do you plan to run under Vista? (And I'm defining "legacy" as anything made prior to the release of Vista.)

Please keep us posted as to how it goes.

• Members

Just out of curiosity, what "legacy" software do you plan to run under Vista? (And I'm defining "legacy" as anything made prior to the release of Vista.)

Please keep us posted as to how it goes.

Ya, and don't forget the hardware too (music related). I'm betting there's a lot of soundcard/audio/midi interface type things that'll run into trouble.

Anyone know of a site that keeps a running tab on that type of thing?

Archived