Rotating speaker pedals

gr8fuldodd

• Members

Originally posted by us2bslim

I've used the following:

Motion Sound AR112 Sidewinder combo (real deal rotating drum)

While I think this supposed to yield the best leslie of the bunch, I thought it was a little different because it has a baffler in front of the speaker that throws the sound instead of the speaker itself rotating. I could be wrong.

Or maybe I'm thinking of the guitar amp version that Motion sound used to make?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a Arion SCH-1 and it sounds very nice. Listen to it here - http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-25.php

It's an old pedal you can find on eBay. It does a cool leslie kinda sound.

For a cheap vibe effect, check out the Chicken Salad pedal from Danelectro. I happen to have a video with it too!

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-26.php

Let me know what you guys think.

R

• Members
Originally posted by rotren

I have a Arion SCH-1 and it sounds very nice. Listen to it here -
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-25.php

It's an old pedal you can find on eBay. It does a cool leslie kinda sound.

For a cheap vibe effect, check out the Chicken Salad pedal from Danelectro. I happen to have a video with it too!

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-26.php

Let me know what you guys think.

R

They both sounds really excellent - the Chicken Salad is very Hendrix. :thu:

Originally posted by DADGADammit

what's a good song by the beatles that uses this effect so i can see what this effect sounds like?

The end of "You Never Give Me your Money" off of Abbey Road... the arpeggiated guitar at the end durring the repeating "one two three four five six seven, all good children go to heaven" vocal lines - that's a Leslie on the guitar.

The arpeggiated guitar parts on Cream's "Badge" in the bridge section - same thing. :wave:

I've had a few rotary sms over the years, and used to own a real Leslie (and a C3 to go with it ;) ), and on the cheap, I'd recommend the Dano Rocky Road. I currently just use the rotary sim in my Line 6 MM4, and it's actually pretty darned good; especially if you use an expression pedal so you can switch speeds. And I think Leslie sims usually sound much better if you can run them in stereo...

• Members

Originally posted by la0tsu

If you run, or are willing to run a stereo rig, I highly recommend the Dunlop Univibe Stereo Chorus. It's the least artificial sounding chorus I've heard, with a bunch of different but usable tones on tap.

I love mine, but i use it for a slow sweeping 3-d phaser (why they label it as a chorus pedal is beyond me!)

I have a Line6 Rotomachine though, and it's badass at a proper leslie sim. as opposed to a fast warbly phaser/vibe pedal.

feeding a XP-300 synth swell into the rotomachine makes for great pad/synth organ sounds.

• Members

Originally posted by jay3265E

While I think this supposed to yield the best leslie of the bunch, I thought it was a little different because it has a baffler in front of the speaker that throws the sound instead of the speaker itself rotating. I could be wrong.

Or maybe I'm thinking of the guitar amp version that Motion sound used to make?

You are correct. The speaker has a rotating chute that rotates vertically like a car tire. Most leslies have a the chute rotating horizontally, so you are correct about the directional issues. However, they do yield similar sounds. If you put the MS on an angled amp stand it is even more different.

• Members

I decided to go with the Line 6 Roto-Machine
sounds fairly decent, got some good reviews, etc.
I needed to maintain some sanity and for once not pour hundreds of dollars out of my wallet
plus I wanted to take advantage of the 2 for 1 special
problem is, I thought I was pulling a fast one by buying the cheaper roto-maching and then getting a verbzilla or echopark for free
but now I see they don't let you get one of those if you get an effect that's the price of the roto-machine

so now it's between the liqua-flange or the otto filter
which one?

• Members
Originally posted by ZJD

Too big.
:cry:

It's Replacing a Leslie? I'd be ok with anything transportable really. lol.

I went on this hunt for a very long time.....I owned the Line 6 Rotomachine for several months...a couple things I couldn't stand about the pedal......

1.) The effect is louder than dry, with a humbucking guitar it is quite considerably louder......annoyingly so.

2.) The effect sounds great if you don't mind all your guitars and amps instantly sounding the same. Their is literally no defintion between a strat, LP or other guitar when going through this box, it sounds like a guitar into a leslie though....just not any specific guitar..

3.) In combination with other tone cores its a loud beast. I used it with a tap trem which I kept a while after I got rid of the rotomachine and it was fine on all the above issues.

Anyway my current choice is the Rotosphere, the speeds are spot on (calibrated to a real leslie), and it definately has a vibe most other pedals don't have....it may not be spot on to a real leslie but it is VERY cool in its own right, and covers the leslie territory mighty well.

Archived