Rotating speaker pedals

gr8fuldodd

• Members

Originally posted by erksin

Maggies are a different deal - more vibrato than swirl. Still incredibly cool though - I miss my '62 Custom 440 sometimes...

They made tone cabinets that were their attempt to bypass the Leslie patent, their stereo vibrato with the speakers facing oppisite sides of the cabinet. Works pretty well.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by jrowan

I've been really interested in this lately:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DopplerBox/BeavisDopplerBox.gif

But it doesn't seem like it really exisits in any form.
:cry:

Yep, doesn't exist. Totally hypothetical at this point, and doubtful if it would work at all. In other words, sounds like I need to actually try it out :)

• Members

The Line6 RotoMachine is excellent and realistic. Elliot Easton uses one and he is a big Beatles fan. I read a review on the Boss unit, and they claimed that it was hard to get a clean sound out of it. You can't beat the RotoMachine for the price; -and for live work, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between it and other excellent Leslie simulators. Oh, and yes, I've got one. It's a keeper.

• Members

I've used the following:

Motion Sound AR112 Sidewinder combo (real deal rotating drum)

Lexicon MPX200 and MPX550

Line 6 Rotomachine

H&K Rotosphere

Option 5 Destination Rotation

Arion SCH1

T Rex BetaVibe

The Motion Sound is the bench mark. It is awesome and is more about the feel of the sound bouncing off of the different parts of the room. Very seductive.

The lexicon's in stereo were my next favorites.

The Rotomachine is the best for the money.

If you are going for a pedal, then I like the Rotosphere and Betavibe best, although they are a little bit different.

The SCH1 is a cool chorus, but it didn't sound like a leslie to me.

I love the Destination Rotation, but ONLY in a dedicated stereo setup. One out is the "horn" out and the other is the "drum". The bass and treble are attenuated accordingly, whether the pedal is engaged or not. If you plan on this to begin with its great, but otherwise, its a pain.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike McLenison

The Line6 RotoMachine is excellent and realistic. Elliot Easton uses one and he is a big Beatles fan. I read a review on the Boss unit, and they claimed that it was hard to get a clean sound out of it. You can't beat the RotoMachine for the price; -and for live work, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between it and other excellent Leslie simulators. Oh, and yes, I've got one. It's a keeper.

I might actually give it a try because Line 6 has a 2 for 1 deal going on that I'm not sure I can say no to

• Members

Originally posted by us2bslim

The Motion Sound is the bench mark. It is awesome and is more about the feel of the sound bouncing off of the different parts of the room. Very seductive.

I'm with ya there -- with all the debate on the AM, FM/doppler, phasing, etc behaviors that "make the sound", I think the 'dynamic ambience' (ie the interaction of the source with the ambient environment) is really a where a lot of electronic solutions just miss out

Archived